Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Creating Hipsturbia (The Hipster Suburbs)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Creating Hipsturbia (The Hipster Suburbs)

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Downtown Powell has all of those things now and every time I’ve been to them they are packed… and not with man buns.

Dude… if you look around the room, and you can’t spot the hipster… it means YOU are the hipster! ;)

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>
    Downtown Powell has all of those things now and every time I’ve been to them they are packed… and not with man buns.

Dude… if you look around the room, and you can’t spot the hipster… it means YOU are the hipster! ;)

Mike88
    Participant

I LOVE New Bremen – but of course I’m biased because I grew up there (but live in Dublin now). It’s interesting that you mentioned the village for this conversation, as they are dealing with a problem many communities would love to have – strong demand for new, modern housing, but very limited supply. We’re very fortunate to have a strong corporate influence (Crown) for such a small community – they’ve done wonderful things for the central core without the use of historic tax credits or other government funding, etc. However, the village is having a really hard time attracting the younger families due to lack of modern housing options. They’re working on it though:)!

I drive through New Bremen every time I visit my mothers family.
    Its wild to see how one company can make the changes they have. It’s really great but at the same time every time I drive through it just seems like office space is being built and not things like restaurants, bars or shops. It’s still a very rural area so maybe there’s not enough population for too much more than what is there but still.

kmel1
    Participant

Mike – I don’t want to derail the thread, but since you travel through, I’ll just add this – there are really nice places for niche retail and restaurants if you look for them (like New Bremen Coffee Co. – where I can get Stauf’s coffee for $4 cheaper per lb., and 17 West, on par with Columbus restaurants). But as a village of less than 3,000, it’s hard to support much retail within the village. People drive to surrounding communities for the variety and various retail needs (including several cool niche shops that I hit up whenever I’m in town). It has it’s own charm – and definitely a different way of life than living within a bustling MSA. But more occupied office space and less retail isn’t bad economic development IMO.

jackoh
    Participant

One other addition to this New Bremen business. I have a colleague who grew up in that area, and he has told me stories about being in high school and driving Rt 66 and stopping in Minster, Fort Loramie, and New Bremen and hitting the bars in each one. Apparently in those towns if you were able to see over the bar, you could get served. He said that the area was primarily German Catholic and beer was their equivalent of water. Sounds like good times, and I would hope that it hasn’t changed!

kmel1
    Participant

Check (probably less lenient now), check and check:)

Eugene_C
    Participant

I drive through New Bremen every time I visit my mothers family.<br>
    Its wild to see how one company can make the changes they have. It’s really great but at the same time every time I drive through it just seems like office space is being built and not things like restaurants, bars or shops. It’s still a very rural area so maybe there’s not enough population for too much more than what is there but still.

I would think that having businesses on Main Street that aren’t retail, makes it even truer urban development. If you look at old pictures of cities, every storefront wasn’t a cafe or boutique. There were regular, job-providing businesses up and down the street as opposed stuffing them all out in these weird little warehouse strips, like you see up around Schrock Rd. and Bush Blvd.

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!