Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Creating Hipsturbia (The Hipster Suburbs)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Creating Hipsturbia (The Hipster Suburbs)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author

GCrites80s
    Participant

Do a lot of new people get steered toward Lewis Center first? I’ve got the feeling they do.

I’ve never even been there unless you count driving past on 23. For all I know 141 people could live there like when I was a kid.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I built a home in Lewis Center a few months ago. The school system was a huge draw.

RhondaH

Mister Shifter said:
    I built a home in Lewis Center a few months ago. The school system was a huge draw.

My cousin moved there for exactly the same reason. He really is very happy with the schools. Wouldn’t call him a hipster though ;)

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

RhondaH said:
    My cousin moved there for exactly the same reason. He really is very happy with the schools. Wouldn’t call him a hipster though ;)

It will be interesting to see how public opinion of schools, and in turn where so many people choose to live, changes once the state rolls out its new letter grade performance rating system. Those coveted “Excellent-with-Distinction” ratings are going away and may be replaced by something much less shiny and attractive.

AmyD
    Participant

While I hate that you can’t walk anywhere like the grocery, the post office, or a decent bar, the schools have been great. Our son went k-12 here and just got into a great college. It was awkward living here at first, but it has been worth it for the schools.

susank

A coworker of mine also moved to Lewis Center for the schools. She used to live in Old Towne East. She dislikes the commute, but is really pleased with the schools. Is Lewis Center a growing Hipsturbia?

billbix

http://www.bkmag.com/BrooklynAbridged/archives/2013/02/18/creating-hipsturbia-are-all-the-hipsters-leaving-brooklyn?page=1

“CREATING HIPSTURBIA”: ARE ALL THE HIPSTERS LEAVING BROOKLYN?

This article is ostensibly about how Brooklyn’s creative class is decamping for the suburbs of New York City and trying to craft their own version of Brooklyn on the streets of Hastings and Montclair. But what this article really feels like it’s about is blogger-baiting. I mean, you can practically see Alex Williams going down a checklist of things to incorporate for maximum outrage as he wrote it. Pretentious and stupid kids’ names? Check! (Yes, Denim and Bowie are real names, not my own perverse creations.) Mention of Dutch-style bikes? Check! Shout-out to gluten-free cupcakes? Check! Decorating with “bird silhouettes” and “felted-wool gazelle heads, for those who prefer their antlers cruelty-free”? Check and check! There’s even a dad with a “man-bun”, something else the Times has profiled before. So much to laugh at, where can I even begin?

Schoolboy
    Participant

How is this a Columbus discussion when all of the articles, including the one that started the thread, are all about NYC?

I can’t see any relation towards the articles and Columbus what so ever.

RhondaH

@billbix

Interesting article, I agree that my cousin’s move was not so much motivated by being priced out but by a desire to find the environment they felt best suited to raise their kids. I imagine that this is really not that new.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Schoolboy said:
    I can’t see any relation towards the articles and Columbus what so ever.

There’s plenty of times we take national or regional news stories, or stories from other cities, and discuss them here. National politics, Amtrak development, school shootings, natural disasters, the national economy, films, video games, tv shows… they’re not all necessarily tied locally, but that doesn’t mean locals don’t want to discuss those topics.

AmyD
    Participant

susank said:
    A coworker of mine also moved to Lewis Center for the schools. She used to live in Old Towne East. She dislikes the commute, but is really pleased with the schools. Is Lewis Center a growing Hipsturbia?

I haven’t seen signs of it. But it would be awesome to have a Lewis Center CU support group! :) The first time people visit, I always feel like I have to spend time explaining why we live here.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

AmyD said:
    The first time people visit, I always feel like I have to spend time explaining why we live here.

I encounter that as well in my neck of the woods. ;)

leftovers

I have never been that far north other than the highway, but what is Lewis Center like? Does it have a bit of a town center? Do most people end up doing things at Polaris?

A lot of people with kids have mentioned Lewis Center lately so it is more and more on our radar as we plan a family. We will have to drive up there sometime.

Jim Coe

I’m grateful for the ease of mobility inter-Columbus/&’burbs. After residing in a first-tier suburb specifically to expose three children to better schools, this empty-nester will move our nest to Olde Towne East, so we’ll enjoy the best of both suburb and historic ‘hood in the city. Walk/bike to work in minutes, pick up groceries @ downtown Hills, pay less real estate taxes and participate in a diverse community along with it’s rich architectural range. The organism that is central Ohio is like cells with elements moving in & out of their membranes.

leftovers

That would be our plan too, to move back after the kiddos get into college. Even the worst commutes in Columbus are nothing by a lot of other major cities standards.

I would gladly pay higher real estate taxes in OTE to have better schools though.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!