Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

County approves domestic partner benefits

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics County approves domestic partner benefits

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

pez wrote >>
    Now, if you are opposite sex, you have to get married, but I have no problem with that rule.

I’m not sure.

I understand extending domestic partner benefits to same-sex couples since they can’t get married, but for purely equality’s sake I’d like to see those same domestic partner benefits extended to opposite-sex couples without marriage provided the same preconditions ( whatever they are ) apply.

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>
    In my experience, you have to provide proof that you’ve lived together for a certain amount of time.

Not to be picking nits, but does this block of time trend more towards 2 years or 10? If it’s a small amount of time, say less than 4 years, I can think of multiple guys I know who would have roommates that would qualify while simultaneously having long-time (>18 months) committed girlfriends or fiances who would not. Doesn’t necessarily change whether or not the policy is a good idea, but it is a quirk of the system if the goal is to “reward” family units.

TaraK
    Participant

rus wrote >>

pez wrote >>
    Now, if you are opposite sex, you have to get married, but I have no problem with that rule.

I’m not sure.
    I understand extending domestic partner benefits to same-sex couples since they can’t get married, but for purely equality’s sake I’d like to see those same domestic partner benefits extended to opposite-sex couples without marriage provided the same preconditions ( whatever they are ) apply.

Hear, hear.

I’ve been with the same guy for 6+ years. I don’t really see a reason to tell opposite-sex couples they have to marry for those benefits.

foxforcefive
    Participant

I guess it would be unfair to require opposite sex “domestic partners” to either get married, or show any kind of proof of longevity if you aren’t going to make the same-sex folks to do the same…wouldn’t that be reverse discrimination? Is there a such thing as “reverse discrimination?” Regardless, it’s all discrimination…

GViewProgrammer
    Participant

Wow very progressive, I especially like that this isn’t about religious doctrine or dogma it is just about helping all people in less then leave-it-to-beaver situations. Thats what I think we lose track of in this debate, this helps everyone not just people with a certain genetic propensity.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Way to go!!

Tenzo
    Participant

When I worked at Chase, only requirement for ‘domestic partner’ was sharing the same address. So yeah, it could be your sister.

jennyw
    Participant

I was actually shocked that our workplace had domestic partner bennies–for same-sex or hetero couples. As memory serves, you had to have proof that you lived at the same address and evidence of shared finances, etc. It took three pieces of evidence and had to be notarized.

For the proof we lived together, we had driver’s licenses that had the same address (a copy of a lease would have worked as well, but I wasn’t on the lease, so…); I made him my life insurance beneficiary; and we opened up a shared bank account.

I don’t think they called it domestic partner benefits, exactly. I think it was just that our options, coverage-wise were single, single +1, and family. I think I found out about it from a coworker who just had insurance for her and her son. Unfortunately, I don’t think my workplace brings the option to people’s attention, like, at all*, so a lot of folks who could use it, don’t.

*ETA: As in, one of the HR folks at our work was surprised when she overhead me talking to the head HR lady about it.

turnedNOTburned
    Participant

I <3 you Columbus…

I’d love to see a comparison of a regions tolerance/acceptance/support of “diversity” (the standard set, broken out by race, religion, etc) paired with hate crimes statistics, average mean income, unemployment, overall crime/murder.

Pretty broad base and general, but, the results could be interesting.

ehill27
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>
    When I worked at Chase, only requirement for ‘domestic partner’ was sharing the same address. So yeah, it could be your sister.

It depends on the organization. Franklin County is defining domestic partners as follows:

“An adult with whom the employee shares a permanent residence, is in a sole relationship for six months and intends to remain indefinitely, is not married to or legally separated from another person, shares responsibility for each other’s common welfare, is at least 18 years of age and mentally competent, not related to each other by blood to a degree of closeness that would prohibit marriage.”

How they prove some of this is currently unclear.

Mercurius
    Participant
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER