Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

County approves domestic partner benefits

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics County approves domestic partner benefits

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

ehill27
    Participant

Citing a desire for fairness, Franklin County commissioners this morning voted to offer insurance benefits to partners of gay and unmarried employees.

url=http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/08/18/fcpartners.html?sid=101]Read More[/url

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Nice! :D

alison

:smacking forehead: Why, oh why do I ever read the comments section on Dispatch stories?

Nice move by the county.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

alison wrote >>
    :smacking forehead: Why, oh why do I ever read the comments section on Dispatch stories?
    Nice move by the county.

I usually read them for the self esteem boost.

jennyw
    Participant

The thing is, as bad as those comments are–and they are TERRIBLE, don’t get me wrong–the proportion of well-reasoned comments to batshit crazy ones isn’t as awful as I’ve seen it on other Dispatch stories. I know it’s a manpower issue, but the Big D really needs someone whose job it is to vet that stuff.

ja

How long will it take for the city of Columbus to follow suit and approve domestic partner benefits?

TaraK
    Participant

Yeah, most of the comments were sane.

A few, however, sounded like they’d just come from this guy’s brainwashing:

ehill27
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>
    Yeah, most of the comments were sane.
    A few, however, sounded like they’d just come from this guy’s brainwashing:

I had to stop at 27 seconds… life’s too short.

ehill27
    Participant

“In my short time as commissioner, this is my proudest moment.”
    -Commissioner O’Grady

“I am so proud we are enacting this among our benefits”
    -Commissioner Brown

[url=http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/08/19/copy/FC_partners.ART_ART_08-19-09_B1_KGEQF39.html?adsec=politics&sid=101]Read More[/url]

Another step in the right direction.

rprpclark
    Participant

What is a domestic partner, exactly. If I share a home with my brother/sister/friend/mom/dad are we “domestic partners”? Or does it have to be same-sex sexual? Is there proof required?

ehill27
    Participant

rprpclark wrote >>
    What is a domestic partner, exactly. If I share a home with my brother/sister/friend/mom/dad are we “domestic partners”? Or does it have to be same-sex sexual? Is there proof required?

Apparently, there will be some sort of proof required, and the coverage DOES apply to heterosexual couples. Beyond that… I’m not sure about the specifics.

pez
    Participant

We have domestic partner benefits at work for same-sex couples. At first it was open to all ‘domestic partners’, but it was defined in a way that allowed people to add parents, grandparents, etc. Now, if you are opposite sex, you have to get married, but I have no problem with that rule.

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

I always wonder how they define “domestic partner”. I say this as someone who is definitely not an expert in how these policies are written, but it sure seems like it would be easy to fake if you just wanted to score a friend some free benefits.

TaraK
    Participant

In my experience, you have to provide proof that you’ve lived together for a certain amount of time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: