Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

COTA's Hybrid Buses

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation COTA’s Hybrid Buses

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Original Announcement:

COTA Rolls Out New Hybrid-Electric Buses

Read More: https://www.columbusunderground.com/cota-rolls-out-new-hybrid-electric-buses

COTA likes hybrid buses so far

Thursday, June 23, 2011

BY ROBERT VITALE

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Six electric-diesel hybrid buses COTA put on the road a year ago have saved the agency more than 1,200 gallons of fuel and more than $3,600 per month. Does that make them worth the extra $230,000 apiece on the price tag?

It’s too soon to tell, Central Ohio Transit Authority officials said yesterday, but they expect savings to mount as the fleet ages. With fewer parts prone to break down, officials expect hybrids to cost less to keep in service than traditional diesel-burning buses.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/06/23/cota-likes-hybrid-buses-so-far.html?sid=101

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

I didn’t see it anywhere in the article…does anyone know how many years or miles a bus typically stays in service?

If they know the costs of both buses, and how much they are saving each month, it would seem to be a pretty straightforward math problem to figure out if it’s worth it…am I missing something?

gorkon

I’m not sure….but I am glad they finally got rid of the buses they got back in the 80’s. I saw them for at least 25 years?? Maybe? I know they keep them a lot longer than most people keep cars.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION