Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

COTA Updates in 2016

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation COTA Updates in 2016

This topic contains 39 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Steve Steve 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ohbr wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>_calebross wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ned23 wrote:</div><br><br>
    They said it was “a matter of weeks” about 4 months ago; it was indeed a matter of about 11 weeks.

I just think we should be happy its finally arriving and stop complaining. :)

Alot can happen in one week… I’ll wait to applaud.

I highly doubt with the spat of real-time tracking in the past couple years that they would announce this unless they truly believed it. Beta testing began a while back. Some routes on the app are already real time.

I highly doubt it too, but I’m still overly cautious. And if it’s anything like real time tracking I’ve experienced in other cities, the bus will pass you multiple times according to the real time map when in fact, no bus has passed by or vice versa. While I generally trust real time tracking, I’m curious to see what kind of flaws the system will have.

ehill27
    Participant

COTA riders can track buses in real time starting next week

Holy F! Someone pinch me.

JMan
    Participant

That’s great, now what about our BRT line?

_calebross
    _calebross
    Participant

I highly doubt it too, but I’m still overly cautious. And if it’s anything like real time tracking I’ve experienced in other cities, the bus will pass you multiple times according to the real-time map when in fact, no bus has passed by or vice versa. While I generally trust real time tracking, I’m curious to see what kind of flaws the system will have.

I disagree. I use the CABS (Campus Area Bus Service) bus system every day and it has real time tracking and I have never had a problem with the tracking. It’s always refreshing and if there is a delay, you are told so by the system. Although OSU runs a 6 line system, it’s very easy expandable. I just think COTA bite off more than it could chew at the point in time they announced it.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

What is the name of this app? I can only find fake apps masquerading as the cota app.

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ohbr wrote:</div>
    I highly doubt it too, but I’m still overly cautious. And if it’s anything like real time tracking I’ve experienced in other cities, the bus will pass you multiple times according to the real-time map when in fact, no bus has passed by or vice versa. While I generally trust real time tracking, I’m curious to see what kind of flaws the system will have.

I disagree. I use the CABS (Campus Area Bus Service) bus system every day and it has real time tracking and I have never had a problem with the tracking. It’s always refreshing and if there is a delay, you are told so by the system. Although OSU runs a 6 line system, it’s very easy expandable. I just think COTA bite off more than it could chew at the point in time they announced it.

I have also used CABS and their system with no issues but I can tell you that there are issues with larger systems in other cities at times. Sitting and waiting for a bus for 45 minutes that supposedly passed you twice before you give up and get in an Uber is not exactly a fun way to spend a portion of the day. Or your bus arrives and the tracking marker says it’s somewhere else. It happens. As you said, CABS is a 6 line system. Larger systems are much more prone to errors and with COTA’s track record, I think it’s acceptable to be cautiously optimistic.

sruckus
    Participant

What is the name of this app? I can only find fake apps masquerading as the cota app.

It’s not a COTA app. It will be in an app called Transit.

GreatOutdoors
    Participant

I checked out the Transit app this morning, and the real-time tracking seems to be working. Haven’t compared it to waiting at an actual bus stop yet, but you can tap on the bus icon in the map display and it will tell you how long ago its position was updated — for every bus I looked at it was within 1 minute. The app’s display of when the next bus will arrive is also now estimated based on real-time data, and not the actual schedule.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

That’s really encouraging news. Excited to try it out.

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

It’s live now. Seems to be working well.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Join us for the Beer & Pretzel Pairing Party on November 3rd featuring Combustion Brewing & Happy Little Treats!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO