Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

COTA Updates in 2016

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation COTA Updates in 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Ben
    Participant

“It’s a matter of several weeks, not several months,” Stitt said.

Nope, still waiting on bus tracking.

JMan
    Participant

Have they even started on construction of the BRT line on Cleveland Ave yet?

bjones7
    Participant

No that was delayed till 2017

DTown
    Participant

Swung by the transit terminal on Rich to pick up a new 10 ride ticket and… the ticket kiosk machine is closed, to be removed.

I mean, who’d want to buy a pass or ticket right at the transit terminal, right? Maybe they figure we can just pay onboard with our debit card… oh, wait.

ehill27
    Participant

Saw the COTA airport bus riding around high (in training mode).

Still starting in May?

ehill27
    Participant

heresthecasey
    Participant

Swung by the transit terminal on Rich to pick up a new 10 ride ticket and… the ticket kiosk machine is closed, to be removed.

I mean, who’d want to buy a pass or ticket right at the transit terminal, right? Maybe they figure we can just pay onboard with our debit card… oh, wait.

Apparently this machine was moved recently from the City Center terminal to the Airport, for arriving passengers to use in conjunction with the new direct route from CMH to downtown.

While I agree the airport is a necessary and useful spot for one of these kiosks to go, I hope COTA plans on buying more (at least 1, they apparently only own 3…) to replace this one at its previous spot in the south terminal.

http://www.cota.com/Fares-Passes/COTA-Pass-Outlets.aspx

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DTown wrote:</div>

Apparently this machine was moved recently from the City Center terminal to the Airport, for arriving passengers to use in conjunction with the new direct route from CMH to downtown.

While I agree the airport is a necessary and useful spot for one of these kiosks to go, I hope COTA plans on buying more (at least 1, they apparently only own 3…) to replace this one at its previous spot in the south terminal.

http://www.cota.com/Fares-Passes/COTA-Pass-Outlets.aspx

Yeah, this is the one I use since I work in the adjacent building. I’m also very confused as to how we’re supposed to get the tickets to get onto the AirConnect bus. For example, if I’m the convention center, where do I buy a ticket? Do they expect us to walk all the way down to one of the downtown kiosks…???

Regardless, I don’t think they should’ve moved the kiosk from the South Terminal either. Hopefully they’re looking to buy a new one.

Mike88
    Participant

Yeah, this is the one I use since I work in the adjacent building. I’m also very confused as to how we’re supposed to get the tickets to get onto the AirConnect bus. For example, if I’m the convention center, where do I buy a ticket? Do they expect us to walk all the way down to one of the downtown kiosks…???

Regardless, I don’t think they should’ve moved the kiosk from the South Terminal either. Hopefully they’re looking to buy a new one.

This is a perfect example of COTA to me. Start something new and good with the airport line, but then bungle the deployment by moving one of it’s few convenient ticket kiosks away from an established location.

Plus like you point out, if I’m already downtown where do I get tickets as an out of town visitor?

And they really only own 3 ticketing machines? [headinhands.jpeg]

ohbr
    Participant

but but but, you can buy passes a grocery stores! it’s not like COTA Isn’t trying…. smh.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the nearly complete lack of kiosks in this city. The fact that they don’t have them at least at every transit station is indicative at the lack of forethought. As heresthecasey said in the article, we’re not inventing the wheel. We’re fumbling things that have been successfully done in other cities for some time.

heresthecasey
    Participant

COTA riders can track buses in real time starting next week

COTA riders will be able to track when buses arrive and depart from stops in real-time starting next week.

The long-awaited technology will launch on smartphones through the Transit App on May 6.

Central Ohio Transit Authority riders can use the app to plan trips and find stops, but they also will be able to see when the next bus will arrive and when the last bus departed. Bus icons will move along the map as well to show users where they are at a given time.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/04/27/COTA_real_time_bus_tracking.html

http://transitapp.com/

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

They said it was “a matter of weeks” about 4 months ago; it was indeed a matter of about 11 weeks.

_calebross
    _calebross
    Participant

They said it was “a matter of weeks” about 4 months ago; it was indeed a matter of about 11 weeks.

I just think we should be happy its finally arriving and stop complaining. :)

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ned23 wrote:</div>

Alot can happen in one week… I’ll wait to applaud.

_calebross
    _calebross
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>_calebross wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ned23 wrote:</div><br>

Alot can happen in one week… I’ll wait to applaud.

I highly doubt with the spat of real-time tracking in the past couple years that they would announce this unless they truly believed it. Beta testing began a while back. Some routes on the app are already real time.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: