Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

COTA Updates in 2015

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation COTA Updates in 2015

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

COTA Ridership at Highest Level Since 1986
    January 27, 2015 10:38 am – Walker Evans

In November, COTA announced that ridership had broken a decade-high level, eclipsing the peak set in 2004. Today, COTA announced even higher levels of ridership, stating that local bus services were used more in 2014 than they have been in nearly thirty years.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/cota-ridership-at-highest-level-since-1986

heresthecasey
    Participant

I know it’s been repeated ad nauseam, but more convenient ways to pay and real-time bus tracking would go a long way towards even higher ridership.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

A little disappointed that I haven’t heard any rumblings about COTA possibly partnering and/or utilizing the point of sale systems CoGo already has in place. When I suggested it at during one of the public meetings for the CBUS last year it seemed to pique some interest but apparently not enough.

bjones7
    Participant

Our bus system over all is not bad, but not great ether. The TSR implementation can not come soon enough.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Maybe so, but some of the modernizing, user-friendly upgrades are so obvious that its amazing they haven’t been implemented yet.

Here’s a fun example: Skyhorse, our local Chinatown bus service, sells tickets online.

http://www.skyhorsebus.com/index.html

But you still can’t buy a COTA pass online. I know the one is quite a bit more complex than the other, but, like, come on. It’s 2015. For real.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Sincerely hope the $400K earmarked for merit raises isn’t going to the team who hired and facilitated the contract with the real-time bus tracking company.

COTA board approves boosting budget to accommodate union contract, administrative raises http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/01/28/COTA-board-approves-boosting-budget.html

heresthecasey
    Participant

The redesigned COTA.com website is live,

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Thumbs up for the new trip planner, assuming this is based on Google Transit on the back-end – huge improvement!

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Here we go again… another consultant hired “to help it evaluate its information technology, including the system that was supposed to allow riders to track buses in real time starting last year.”

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/02/25/COTA-hires-IT-company-to-rework-its-bus-tracking-program.html

I’m trying to remain positive with regard to COTA’s decisions, after all the CBUS is fantastic, but now that they’ve hired the same company that touts Bridge Engineering for the I-75 project in Cincinnati on their website (http://www.ibigroup.com/projects/i-75-interstate-improvements) I’m a little worried.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Not sure what rules are in place pertaining to where these funds must be allocated but fingers crossed this unexpected windfall can cover the CBUS!

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/03/02/rare-winter-thrill-bus-air-brakes-freeze.html

COTA’s check from the Ohio Department of Taxation is probably bigger than those the rest of us will receive this year.

The department realized in December that a calculation error on sales-tax collections from car sales had shorted COTA by $2.2 million. The error dates from 2002.

COTA apparently wasn’t receiving sales-tax revenue on cars sold in the small slivers of some adjacent counties that are part of its taxing district, said Jeff Vosler, COTA’s interim chief financial officer.

The state cut COTA its check in January.

heresthecasey
    Participant

COTA’s teasing smart card payment being included in the next Short Range Transit Plan. Anyone have a chance to attend one of the recent meetings on this?

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

I couldn’t make it to either meeting but after some digging the Smartcard system appears to just be a prepaid re-loadable bus pass – From their Short-Range Transit Plan 2013-2017

The system would encourage the use of pre-paid fare methods and allow users to select the product that best fits their individual needs. It is estimated that the entire smartcard system for COTA’s fixed-route and Mainstream fleet, including back office systems and revaluing station requirements, would be approximately $7 million, and is included in the TIP in years 2014 and 2015.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    luckyparrot
    luckyparrot
    Participant

COTA
    #WEMOVEUS

* VIDEO LINK REMOVED *

DTown
    Participant

Lovely. Money for slick, expensive marketing material highlighting only a tiny fraction of their fleet.

Meanwhile… real time tracking? ePayment options? More than 2 fare card kiosks? I guess it’s hard to video the things that you don’t have.

Nice they think they’re doing a great job, at least.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Just an FYI… I removed the video link above at the request of COTA this morning. It’s an internal marketing/communications campaign that has not been made public yet. (The YouTube link was marked as unlisted, so it’s not searchable on YouTube).

I’m sure it will be back up soon once the campaign officially launches. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: