Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

COTA - Updates in 2014

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation COTA – Updates in 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Update from the meeting…
    @ben – Yes, CBUS passes are inclusive of any of the other COTA passes.
    COTA is anticipating a 20% decrease in ridership of the CBUS once it becomes pay-to-play.

Q: Is COTA planning on adding additional pay kiosks and also what the possibility is of exploring alternative payment options? – The alternative payment options topic was a common sentiment throughout the Q&A period
    A: Short-term – Adding self-serve kiosks to the South (City Center) and North (Spring & High) terminals in addition to the existing Broad & High location.
    Long-term – looking at hiring a consultant in the future to study feasibility.

Both answers irked me so I threw out one last question with the pretense that having 3 downtown kiosks to accept payment is great if you’re already downtown but how are you supposed to get there in the first place, specific to surrounding neighborhoods;
    Q: Can COTA leverage CoGo’s existing infrastructure and network for point-of-sale transactions? Has the possibility of a partnership been explored, offering both services at existing CoGo stations?
    A: <crickets> We hadn’t thought about that but will look into it.

Ben
    Participant

Thanks, Josh!

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Thanks, Josh!

And agreed on the irksomeness of the answers. The fact that they want to hire a consultant to determine if they should explore other payment options is decidedly disappointing.

Ben
    Participant

The real reason COTA wants to raise prices is so that they can fund a study to determine whether spending millions of dollars on a non-functional bus tracking system was worthwhile.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Update from the meeting…
    Long-term – looking at hiring a consultant in the future to study feasibility.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

According to a new article published on the Dispatch, the COTA Board of Trustees doesn’t like the idea of raising the fare on the CBUS and the little summary says that “several trustees said the proposed 50-cent fare could kill the free Downtown circulator.” And one of the trustees goes on to say:

“I think we are jeopardizing our success if we move to a fare,” said trustee Craig Treneff. “Frankly, a lot of young people don’t carry cash with them.”

Link here: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/10/22/COTA-board-members-do-not-like-idea-of-Cbus-fares.html

NerosNeptune
    Participant

While I agree that charging for the CBUS will kill it, why should the young affluent people that CBUS targets get free transportation while the city’s poor, who are increasingly pushed away from the CBUS service area, have to pay?

I get that it’s to help spur business activity.. just something to think about.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…why should the young affluent people that CBUS targets get free transportation while the city’s poor, who are increasingly pushed away from the CBUS service area, have to pay?

Last I checked, anyone is allowed to ride the CBUS, regardless of age, race or income level.

While residential pricing is limited for lower-income residents in the urban core, there are plenty of jobs and social services in the area.

The CBUS serves anyone and everyone.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>NerosNeptune wrote:</div>
    …why should the young affluent people that CBUS targets get free transportation while the city’s poor, who are increasingly pushed away from the CBUS service area, have to pay?

Last I checked, anyone is allowed to ride the CBUS, regardless of age, race or income level.

While residential pricing is limited for lower-income residents in the urban core, there are plenty of jobs and social services in the area.

The CBUS serves anyone and everyone.

I heard a similar sentiment expressed at the first public meeting and didn’t want to stir the pot by throwing this out but the convenience of living near the CBUS line is cancelled out by the myriad of other much greater expenses that accompany living in a place of convenience.

EDIT – Additional context around the scenario mentioned was a person inquiring why they live in x part of town and why don’t they have a free bus.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

EDIT – Additional context around the scenario mentioned was a person inquiring why they live in x part of town and why don’t they have a free bus.

Because they don’t live in the visitor/tourism district.

gramarye
    Participant

While I agree that charging for the CBUS will kill it, why should the young affluent people that CBUS targets get free transportation while the city’s poor, who are increasingly pushed away from the CBUS service area, have to pay?

I get that it’s to help spur business activity.. just something to think about.

True, but I think you kind of answered your own question there. The benefits of the CBUS are at least intended to be realized in other ways than cash flow. If those turn out not to pan out, then the CBUS circulator can simply be cancelled.

Chrysee
    Chrysee
    Participant

I hope there’s a way for it to remain free. Not because I’m opposed to paying for it. I just think it’s such a good thing for tourists and visitors. And I know I don’t carry around handfuls of quarters or any cash at all really. I’d definitely be willing to contribute to its cost in some way (crowdfunding a bus.. I know, I know) which would be much more money than I’d ever spend in fares anyway. I’m not sure what the demographics of riders look like, but I have to imagine a lot of people who use the CBUS don’t necessarily set out to use it so wouldn’t be carrying money for it anyway. Hell, I’d be willing to pay some sort of fee (RFID card or something to keep it fast and convenient) as a resident to keep it free for visitors and out-of-towners. That’s impossible to enforce, I know. :/

News
    Participant

No Fare Increase for COTA, CBUS Will Stay Free Until May
    November 19, 2014 1:28 pm – Brent Warren

The price to ride a COTA bus will stay the same at least through the end of 2015, and the popular CBUS downtown circulator will remain free until May 3rd. Both decisions were made by the COTA Board of Trustees this morning, with the CBUS date set specifically to give the transit authority more time to secure outside funding for the line.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/no-fare-increase-for-cota-cbus-will-stay-free-until-may-bw1

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Fantastic news about the CBUS!
    Besides the convenience for local residents so many airbnb visitors mention this as being a hugely convenient perk of the city, hooray for COTA!

News
    Participant

COTA Ridership at Highest Level Since 2004
    November 24, 2014 2:24 pm – Walker Evans

More people are riding COTA this year, thanks in part to the new CBUS Circulator route that launched in May. The Central Ohio Transit Authority announced today that monthly ridership totals hit 1.8 million in both September and October, which is the highest monthly level since January 2004. Additionally, year-to-date ridership is up 2.7% over 2013.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/cota-ridership-at-highest-level-since-2004

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 127 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: