Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

COTA - Updates in 2014

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation COTA – Updates in 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 127 total)
  • Author

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Looks like the bus stop on the east side of High between Long and Gay has been ripped out:

Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Via Email:

Line 98 weekend Zoo Bus service starts this Saturday

COLUMBUS—Transportation between Downtown and the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium will be a lot easier this summer! If you are heading to the Zoo or Zoombezi Bay, try taking COTA. Beginning Saturday, May 10 through Monday, September 1, take COTA Line 98 to the Zoo on weekends and holidays. Weekday service between Downtown and the Zoo will begin on Monday, June 2 and run through Friday, August 29.

Board at the Statehouse Downtown or leave your car at the Griggs Dam Park & Ride or Dublin Park & Ride and have the Line 98 Zoo Bus take you to see the new Heart of Africa exhibit, opening May 22.

Avoid paying for parking and gas—COTA is only $2 each way. Ask your bus operator for a transfer/coupon and receive half-off regular Zoo admission or $4 off Zoombezi Bay admission at the Zoo entrance for the day of your ride.

For more information about Line 98, visit cota.com/ZooBus. For Zoo and Zoombezi Bay admission prices and hours, visit columbuszoo.org or call (614) 645-3400.

For a detailed list of all stops on the line or for more information, call (614) 228-1776 or go online to cota.com.

ehill27
    Participant

COTA plan has less wait time, new routes
    Rick Rouan – Columbus Dispatch
    05/24/2014 5:55 AM

COTA’s newest plan would blanket the city with more high-frequency bus service under proposed changes to its network…

The number of residents who live within a quarter mile of any service would increase from 511,000 under existing conditions to 515,000 with the plan, and those with access to 15-minute service would more than double.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/05/24/cota-plan-has-less-wait-time-new-routes.html

bjones7
    Participant

SO which plan are they favoring right now?

Ben
    Participant

Still waiting on real-time bus tracking.

ehill27
    Participant

[quote=1019218]SO which plan are they favoring right now?[/quote]

Not certain, but this sounds like the mid/hybrid plan to me.

bjones7
    Participant

70/30 then?

heresthecasey
    Participant

COTA’s real-time tracking service delayed again

Tracking COTA buses in real time won’t be available for at least another two months.

Early testing has shown that the system is unreliable. Data has been accurate about 25 percent of the time during internal tests, Stutz said. The system must be accurate at least 90 percent of the time before the public can use it, he said. COTA will test the feature again through June.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/05/29/cotas-real-time-service-delayed.html

Ben
    Participant

[quote=1019949]

Early testing has shown that the system is unreliable. Data has been accurate about 25 percent of the time during internal tests, Stutz said. The system must be accurate at least 90 percent of the time before the public can use it, he said. COTA will test the feature again through June.

[/quote]

Guh! Thanks for the update. I need to stop getting my hopes up for this. It’s good to hear, after a few months with no updates, that they still have an an intention to roll out real-time tracking eventually.

spfld_expat
    Participant

COTAI need to stop getting my hopes up for this.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Personally I don’t see the point in real-time bus tracking.. I’d rather see tech investments go towards modernizing fare payments. It’d be nice to see exactly where a bus is, but it will still just get there when it gets there.

Josh Miller
    Participant

[quote=1020006]Personally I don’t see the point in real-time bus tracking.. I’d rather see tech investments go towards modernizing fare payments. It’d be nice to see exactly where a bus is, but it will still just get there when it gets there. [/quote]
    +1 NerosNeptune!
    The ticket machine in front of the COTA building at Broad & High is incredibly convenient, I only wish there were more locations.

mbeaumont
    Participant

[quote=1020006]Personally I don’t see the point in real-time bus tracking.. I’d rather see tech investments go towards modernizing fare payments. It’d be nice to see exactly where a bus is, but it will still just get there when it gets there. [/quote]Well, let’s say it’s winter and you’re keeping warm inside Brioso, and you see your bus is still 10 minutes away. That’s 10 minutes you can stay warm inside drinking a cappuccino rather than waiting out in the cold.

But I agree, modernizing fare payments, especially a smart card system is more of a priority for me as well.

News
    Participant

columbus: a new transit network plan
    Posted on 05/29/2014 in Columbus

Columbus, Ohio’s metro transit agency, COTA, has now released a new network plan for public comment. As in the recently unveiled similar plan for Houston, I led the network design task on this project as part of a consulting team led by IBI Associates.

READ MORE: http://www.humantransit.org/2014/05/columbus-a-new-transit-network-plan.html

bjones7
    Participant

Very Cool: http://www.cota.com/import/Draft_Proposed_Network_complete%20V2.pdf

Reminds me of other transit systems. It’s interesting that #1 will go Northwest vs NorthEast. Will just the BRT run on Cleveland Ave? (no local bus?) .

Taking the #8 and #31 and other’s off high street could pave way for a ShortNorth/Downtown streetcar. I wonder how are the Express bus riders going to handle this? If you look at the short term transit plan, it looks like Express Routes were very profitable. I guess their will still be Express routes, but will they go both ways from and to downtown?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 127 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.