Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

COTA - Updates in 2014

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation COTA – Updates in 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 127 total)
  • Author

Cole
    Participant

I liked the third one as well. The second one (maximizing ridership) would have to improve frequency and trip times to be enticing. The whole reason people like the 4 over the 2 is because of how slow the 2 is.

BTW, did you notice that Jarrett Walker + Associates is stamped on the maps? It’s kind of cool that Human Transit was involved for the planning.

bjones7
    Participant

+1 for the 3rd option. I like the fact that there are more “crosstown” routes. With this map I could ride the bus to my in-laws if I wanted….

bjones7
    Participant

Seeing that they do not include “Express routes” like COTA has currently, I wonder if peak hour routes would be from & to instead of to downtown during A.M and from downtown during the P.M ?

bjones7
    Participant

I am guessing 10L means route 10 Limited stops. If thats the fact, they should add a 2L.

ehill27
    Participant

Any way for non-facebook members to get access to these maps?

NerosNeptune
    Participant

News
    Participant

First Look: New Downtown Bus Shelters
    March 24, 2014 8:00 am – Walker Evans

The Central Ohio Transit Authority (COTA) has begun work on replacing 13 high-volume bus shelters on High Street through Downtown. The aluminum-and-glass design is a modern update, designed by students from CCAD.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/first-look-new-downtown-bus-shelters

urbanshmurban
    Participant

The “90/10” proposal is intriguing for a number of reasons not the least of which is that it is expected to boost ridership by 20%. If a public agency said they could boost usage of their service by 20% with existing resources, the public would be demanding that change and wondering why it the agency didn’t do it sooner.

At the public meeting I attended, one person was advocating for the “50/50” plan that spread the service throughout the county as much as possible and that it was important to do that in the name of equity. The 50/50 plan is projected to result in a decrease of ridership by 10%. So how equitable is a service that even less people use than today?

“90/10” may not be the way to go but COTA should have very compelling reasons if they decide they are going to veer from a plan that would boost ridership by 20% and provide better service to many existing riders.

Ben
    Participant

I would not have expected to be a fan of reduced coverage, but wow, that 90/10 layout looks great!

bjones7
    Participant

Why not the middle one of 70/30. I believe this one would be great because I provides a great compromise for people who live downtown and people who do not.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

I would have to say the 90/10 looks the best to me. I love the layout and I love the fact that its projected to increase ridership 20% (which would be a catalyst for more expanded services and increase of more ridership).

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Transit works best in the densest areas, so I’m more of a fan of the 90/10 plan. Trying to retrofit transit service into low density areas is a square peg and a round hole scenario.

I’m sure that people who live in low density areas would love it if bus service could service them, but that’s not the reason they moved into a low density area. They move there to be away from the core of the city, and for the drivability of the area, not walkability or the bus lines.

heresthecasey
    Participant

IMO they should split the difference between the ridership and midpoint scenarios, something like an 80/20 or 75/25 model.

urbanshmurban
    Participant

“Splitting the difference” and “compromise” sounds nice but I’d like to hear some compelling reasons to back away from the 90/10 plan supported with some data. Think about any other public agency saying that they could boost usage of their service by 20% within their current budget. As taxpayers, we’d be demanding that that agency make it happen.

News
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 127 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION