Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

COTA Transit System Redesign - News & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation COTA Transit System Redesign – News & Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

So the rumor today on the bus was that COTA is closing down the #16 and #10 buslines, and building a huge new parking lot out in New Albany (as reported by a community member who attended the COTA community meeting at Neighborhood House last week).

I don’t know if this is true, but if so, it’s the opposite of what was promised. The premise was that infrequently used buslines would be phased out in favor of more frequent coverage in the center city. Phasing out two of the most heavily used buslines in Olde Towne and the KLD would seem to be the exact opposite of that. The sentiment on the bus, rightly or wrongly, was that COTA is planning on shafting the poorer and darker citizens of the center city in favor of pursuing wealthy suburbanites.

So –can anyone confirm or deny this report?

Whoever told you that was not accurately reporting. If anything the richer and whiter northwest side is getting shafted vs previous plans for the TSR.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Whoever told you that was not accurately reporting.

It seemed unlikely to me, that’s why I wanted to double check. But the COTA site seems currently only to have the changes from September listed, not the upcoming ones for January. Do you know any place with official info on the proposed January service changes?

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Josh Lapp wrote:</div>
    Whoever told you that was not accurately reporting.

It seemed unlikely to me, that’s why I wanted to double check. But the COTA site seems currently only to have the changes from September listed, not the upcoming ones for January. Do you know any place with official info on the proposed January service changes?

It’s still quite a ways away from going live – “This website will continue to be updated as we finalize the plan and prepare for its full launch between May and September 2017.”
    http://www.cota.com/Projects/Transit-System-Redesign.aspx

Eugene_C
    Participant

That’s the first time I’ve seen that map and the first thing that immediately jumps out at me is that the #4 no longer goes to Graceland, rather it terminates at Morse. Is that for real? Because that’s a big change in connectivity for northern Clintonville.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

It’s still quite a ways away from going live – “This website will continue to be updated as we finalize the plan and prepare for its full launch between May and September 2017.”

Thanks for the link, it led me to this: http://www.cota.com/COTA/media/TSR/Line-Change-Chart_Complete_Oct-2015.pdf

It looks like the 10 is fine, but yes, the 16 is going away!

I have strong personal feeling about that, since I ride it every day, but it also seems like a strange decision. It’s always packed, and even the numbers on COTA’s site indicate it has strong ridership.

Why target that line for elimination? I’m guessing because it parallels lines on Mt Vernon and Broad Street? FWIW it seems to serve a much larger mixture of those white collar workers Nancy H mentioned than its sister lines to the north and south.

Eugene_C
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Josh Miller wrote:</div>

Thanks for the link, it led me to this: http://www.cota.com/COTA/media/TSR/Line-Change-Chart_Complete_Oct-2015.pdf

It looks like yes, the 16 is going away!

Obviously I have strong personal feeling about that, since I ride it every day, but it also seems like a strange decision. It’s always packed, and even the numbers on COTA’s site indicate it has strong ridership. Why target that line for elimination? I’m guessing because it parallels lines on Mt Vernon and Broad Street?

This is why we need rails. Buses can just pick up and move with no warning and screw up everyone’s lives. With rails the lines stay where the rails are and you can buy a house on a line with some confidence that they won’t move the bus a half-mile away.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Josh Miller wrote:</div>

It looks like yes, the 16 is going away!

Obviously I have strong personal feeling about that, since I ride it every day, but it also seems like a strange decision. It’s always packed, and even the numbers on COTA’s site indicate it has strong ridership. Why target that line for elimination? I’m guessing because it parallels lines on Mt Vernon and Broad Street?

You are correct that the #16 is ‘going away’ but really it is combining with the #6 to create a frequent route that in the end provides better service and is only a block away. The #10 is definitely not leaving and provides some of the best frequency in the city. The end result is that the near east side still has arguably the best service in the city.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

You are correct that the #16 is ‘going away’ but really it is combining with the #6 to create a frequent route that in the end provides better service and is only a block away. The #10 is definitely not leaving and provides some of the best frequency in the city. The end result is that the near east side still has arguably the best service in the city.

I’ll try not to take the narrow view on this, but a block can make a big difference in this neighborhood. I definitely wouldn’t personally feel as comfortable waiting at a bus-stop on Mt. Vernon as I do on Long –there’s a very different feel to the two streets.

Still, I’m sure no matter what routes get changed, someone will feel inconvenienced.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Josh Lapp wrote:</div>

I’ll try not to take the narrow view on this, but a block can make a big difference in this neighborhood. I definitely wouldn’t personally feel as comfortable waiting at a bus-stop on Mt. Vernon as I do on Long –there’s a very different feel to the two streets.

Still, I’m sure no matter what routes get changed, someone will feel inconvenienced.

I’m definitely sympathetic. I used to take the bus often to the KLD and always took the #16, but like you said, at the end of the day everyone has to give up a little to make a better system overall.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Do you know if there’s an official place for people to weigh in on these decisions? If they make this particular change to the routes, people who have no choice but to ride the bus will adjust, but I suspect they’ll lose a large portion of the #16 ridership that does have other transportation options.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

Moving buses around still imposes hardships on people, even if the goal is to improve the system. For example, what if I have difficulty walking or driving and I just signed a lease on an apartment that’s near a bus stop. Moving the bus a few blocks away could theoretically make it inaccessible to me.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I think if you’re disabled or elderly then you can qualify for COTA special transit. But it’s not quite the same level of freedom.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Moving buses around still imposes hardships on people, even if the goal is to improve the system. For example, what if I have difficulty walking or driving and I just signed a lease on an apartment that’s near a bus stop. Moving the bus a few blocks away could theoretically make it inaccessible to me.

Then inevitable expansion of that logic is that everyone gets a bus stop in front of their house, which can’t happen. As Ned23 said, for those who are unable to use the regular bus, Mainstream service is provided. The reality is that it is a bus system and the system needs to be improved as a whole.

heresthecasey
    Participant

That’s the first time I’ve seen that map and the first thing that immediately jumps out at me is that the #4 no longer goes to Graceland, rather it terminates at Morse. Is that for real? Because that’s a big change in connectivity for northern Clintonville.

Take a closer look at the map. That’s not Morse, it’s 161. The #4 will be extended to run on Sinclair from Morse to 161, terminating ~GE/The Continent near 161 and 71. The 95 on Morse will be upgraded to a new high-frequency line #34 running from Graceland to Easton. That offers much more and much better connectivity for the area, not less.

@ChrisSunami I suggest you read the complete TSR report more in detail to understand the methodology and intended benefits. They specifically talk about Broad/Long/Mt Vernon and the Near East Side on page 53, http://www.cota.com/COTA/media/PDF/TSR/TSR_COTA_-Final-Report_2014-corrected-12_9_2014.pdf

Also, a before and after diagram of service in this part of the city is here, http://www.cota.com/COTA/media/TSR/NE-Quadrant-Pre-TSR_102715-min.pdf

^IMO, unarguably a substantial improvement.

There have also been at least 20 public meetings over the last two years about this plan. It isn’t some secret scheme falling from the sky out of nowhere to “shaft the poorer and darker citizens of the center city.”

That’s pretty inflammatory and grossly inaccurate speculation to post up on the internet without even so much as doing a cursory google search first to get some actual facts. Center city neighborhoods are seeing substantial service gains, with more useful routes running more often to more important destinations.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

There have also been at least 20 public meetings over the last two years about this plan. It isn’t some secret scheme falling from the sky out of nowhere to “shaft the poorer and darker citizens of the center city.”

That’s pretty inflammatory and grossly inaccurate speculation to post up on the internet without even so much as doing a cursory google search first to get some actual facts.

I’d like to make it clear that I wasn’t posting that as my opinion. I was reporting it as the sentiment expressed on the bus. Don’t shoot the messenger here.

I think also if you’ll reread my original post, you’ll see I clearly labeled it as a rumor, expressed the fact that I hadn’t been able to find the info myself on the COTA site, and asked for an informed person to confirm or deny. (And as it turned out, the most substantive part of the rumor –that our own route is being eliminated –was true.)

I’d also mention that the person I originally heard the information from had become fired up after attending one of the public meetings, so maybe COTA should also be aware that the message they are intending is not the one being received.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: