Our City Online

Messageboard - Miscellaneous Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

COTA Route #21 Bar Crawl - Fri Dec 4th

Home Forums Events Miscellaneous Events COTA Route #21 Bar Crawl – Fri Dec 4th

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

December 26th….

Clintonville – time to show your support for the #21, in force. Any C-ville businesses want to get on board with some coupons or free something?

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

Skreened – Great opportunity to get a New T-Shirt out the to that pubic on the 26th – we can have the bus stop to pick some up…..

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

joev wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>
    Oh yeah, I’d definitely ride it to GV. I never go to High Beck or Gresso’s because I don’t want to deal with driving and parking down there. I wonder if the same is true for people who live in GV and don’t go to places in the Short North.

Pretty much. We don’t dine or drink out much in the Short North, both because parking and driving and DDs are a hassle to figure out, but also because we have great places to eat and drink within walking distance.

I know it’s been brought up before, but these two posts brought the topic back to mind for me… why does the #2 run N/S on North High only to hook at Main and run East for the other leg of the route? Wouldn’t it make more sense to continue along South High to German Village, Brewery District, Merion Village, and beyond to the whole South High area?

I’d have to imagine it could go a pretty long way in connecting the GV/SN (and surrounding community) residents and businesses. It’s silly to have to make a bus transfer between two of the most popular urban areas in the city, located two miles apart, and along the same street. Right?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

redfish-bluefish wrote >>
    from gv, all you’d need would be a bus that went as far as the convention center area, where, i believe, the southernmost stop of the #21 is located.

The southern “loop” for the #21 is at Spring. So it does go about a block past the convention center. Down to Barrio.

http://www.cota.com/current_promotions-21_night_owl.asp

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

JerrodWagner wrote >>
    I didn’t get a chance to make it out to this crawl, but I’m thinking of planning a bus crawl on December 26th.
    How did it go for you?
    Any tips on route, what bars to go to? etc etc
    If you buy an all day bus pass does it work pass midnight?
    Any bars give special deals for people with bus passes?

Our crawl was a lot of fun. It served as both a “holiday party” for the Create Columbus Commission as well as a “invite all of your friends” type of event to bring out a larger crowd. Everyone seemed to really enjoy it. The bars were familiar but the bus transit was a new and exciting element for a lot of people.

I’d recommend planning out the stops and timetables in advance. This was something we decided to just “wing” and it was a bit of a challenge with a group of around 20 people.

Keep in mind that the #21 runs in 30 minute headways, so make sure to plan your night accordingly. For most that would mean an hour at each stop. Perhaps a speed crawl could hit each stop in 30 minutes.

Make sure that whoever is leading the crawl alerts everyone at least 10-15 minutes ahead of the bus arrival time that they need to get their drinks finished and tabs closed out. It’s worth taking note of where the stops are located so that you know how long of a walk you have from bar to bus stop.

As far as the actual stops go, I’d suggest placing them at least a mile apart. You’ll have to be choosy on where you go, but if they’re too close, and walking is an easier/faster option, then you’ve defeated the purpose of taking the bus to begin with. It might also be a good idea to pick bars along the east side of High for the north-bound part of the crawl and bars along the west side of High for the south-bound part of the crawl. Just to keep everyone on the same side of the street as the bus stops and keep the pedestrian street-crossing to a minimum.

If possible, grab some map/timetable brochures in advance to distribute. It’s probably the easiest way to get the information in everyone’s hands. I ended up being put in charge of the bus scheduling during our crawl, as I was the only person familiar with riding the bus, and apparently the only person who knew how to use google transit maps on the iPhone to figure out when the next bus was arriving. I’m guessing you’re still going to end up with a lot of people who just want to follow the crowd and not think about bus timetables, but the more info you can get in their hands in advance, the better.

I’m not 100% sure on the day passes, but I’d imagine they have a 24 hour lifespan after purchasing. I’ll check on that.

None of the bars gave us deals, but we didn’t alert any of them as to our plans. I imagine that some would be interested if this was all planned in advance and the bar stops advertised as official stops.

Otherwise, yeah… I’m game for doing this again. Not sure if the 26th works for me personally, but I’m always happy to help promote! Start up a new event thread if that’s the official day you’re going with. ;)

joev
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

joev wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>
    Oh yeah, I’d definitely ride it to GV. I never go to High Beck or Gresso’s because I don’t want to deal with driving and parking down there. I wonder if the same is true for people who live in GV and don’t go to places in the Short North.

Pretty much. We don’t dine or drink out much in the Short North, both because parking and driving and DDs are a hassle to figure out, but also because we have great places to eat and drink within walking distance.

I know it’s been brought up before, but these two posts brought the topic back to mind for me… why does the #2 run N/S on North High only to hook at Main and run East for the other leg of the route? Wouldn’t it make more sense to continue along South High to German Village, Brewery District, Merion Village, and beyond to the whole South High area?
    I’d have to imagine it could go a pretty long way in connecting the GV/SN (and surrounding community) residents and businesses. It’s silly to have to make a bus transfer between two of the most popular urban areas in the city, located two miles apart, and along the same street. Right?

Eh, the #7 and #8 pretty much do that. Not quite as frequent, but pretty easy, anyhow.

johnwirtz
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

joev wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>

Someone from COTA would have to answer definitively, but as a transportation engineer/planner, I would guess that they are trying to create continuous routes on corridors with similar passenger demand. This makes it easier to schedule the service. The density/ridership and route length on East Main matches North High more closely than South High matches North High. On South High, the density really drops off by the time you reach Frank Road, which is just 3 miles south of downtown. The equivalent going north is Lane Avenue, which is one of Columbus’ densest neighborhoods.

There could be ways around this problem of course. They could choose to run half of the #2 buses (or some other fraction) only on North High and turn them around somewhere in downtown instead of going down South High. Then you would have to figure out what to do with the old #2 East Main. I guess the simplest thing would be to pair it up with the #16 Long Sreet route, but that creates a sort of U-turn route, which would provide fewer one-seat rides (i.e. more transfers required) than the existing configuration. The East Main could be matched with something else instead, but then you’re rearranging the whole system. I’m not saying the system can’t or shouldn’t be reconfigured, but it could be somewhat costly for COTA to change all the signs and schedules, and possibly confusing for riders who have been doing things the same way for several decades.

I do like the idea of a single route for all of High Street though. It just seems intuitive, much like the #10 Broad Street route. I always found it annoying too if I was coming down North High going somewhere south of Broad Street and the bus would just stop and sit there for a while. That’s not really a problem with the Main Sreet turn though, as much as COTA’s downtown recovery time policy.

My second guess on the reason for the North High/East Main pairing is that it has always been that way and nobody has ever seriously considered changing it. The reason it has “always been that way” is probably because of the reasons I listed above.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Thanks for the answers, John & Joe. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walker wrote >>
    I’m not 100% sure on the day passes, but I’d imagine they have a 24 hour lifespan after purchasing. I’ll check on that.

Just got a response from Beth at COTA. She said that a day pass only functions for the actual day it was purchased on, but that does include the exception of running into the AM hours on the #21.

So for example, if you bought a day-pass at 9PM, it would work on the 21 through 3AM, but would not work if you tried to use it the next morning at 8AM.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

FOSR had an Earth Day event last spring and they gave us a stack of day passes which we haven’t used. I’d like to give them away before they expire at the end of the year, where would you suggest? Open Shelter?

JerrodWagner

I know we could use them on the 26th for our crawl. Would be happy to take them and make a donation of some sort? Let me know what you think

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I’ll be offline for a few hours, will check back.

In the meantime,

JerrodWagner

http://www.facebook.com/#/event.php?eid=201367657704&index=1

Link to my bus crawl.

Thanks for the help Walker. I’m definitely going to take your advice into consideration. I didn’t think of staying on one side of the street. Simple idea, but easily overlooked. Hopefully will have a map ready soon.

CMH Gourmand — we plan to start in Clintonville, so would definitely appreciate any ideas you have on getting specials in that area. Also, who could I contact at skreened to talk about a shirt design? I had tasked a friend to design a shirt, but that might be easier. We plan to post it on skreened, just easier than me ordering 10 shirts.

I would love to see this outgrow what I’m planning. If anyone wants to invite people, or post ideas, please let me know! Supporting this bus route is important if we want to see increased public transportation. I think a bunch of hooligans with similar t shirts getting on and off it is plenty of advertisement.

berdawn

Walker wrote >>

joev wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>

The same reason the #5, Fifth Avenue bus doesn’t go any further east on 5th Avenue than High Street?

seanguy

Hey Walked! I have been a follower of your board since, well 2005. I was locked out of my original account so I finally gave in and got a new sn.

Anyway, I started a facebook group for riding the number 21 back in Sept. I added my friend list. I am posting a link here for others to join. If you click the link you simply so you are going to “attend” the event and send the request to your other friends.

Facebook Group: Ride the 21 Link

I have my 600 person list on the group, but adding other “transit” friendly friends to the group could grow it very fast.

Second, I am interested in helping to organize future “route 21” events. I worked for the Obama campaign and organized a lot of “bar crawls” etc for the campaigns/party. With some effort I am sure the organizers of this first event, myself, and some others could put together a smashing “21” event.

You can contact me by joining the facebook group. I am the creator on the page, thus there’s a link to my facebook.

Sean

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)

The forum ‘Miscellaneous Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: