Our City Online

Messageboard - Miscellaneous Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

COTA Route #21 Bar Crawl - Fri Dec 4th

Home Forums Events Miscellaneous Events COTA Route #21 Bar Crawl – Fri Dec 4th

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • Author

Tigertree

I am sad I missed out on this. I try to not go out the night before gallery hop since it’s such a long day.

JonMyers
    Participant

@John – Catching a cab is really easy. German Village cab company is super fast if you’re in the Short North. You call and they show up in a few minutes. I wouldn’t make it a habit though, it is expensive and not well regulated in my opinion.

i’m worried that the #21 won’t last long if the ridership doesn’t pick up.

heading down to the short north 8:30ish on saturday the bus was a little more than half full. going back up at 2am, i was the only rider from 5th st all the way up through clntonville.
    and this on a hop night.

plenty of people driving though and very many taking cabs.
    a number of the cab people were surprised to hear that i was waiting for the bus and the fact that there even was a bus running at that time.

ride people, ride! it’s easy if you’re any reasonable distance from high street, cheap and you won’t get a dui.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

JonMyers wrote >>
    @John – Catching a cab is really easy. German Village cab company is super fast if you’re in the Short North. You call and they show up in a few minutes. I wouldn’t make it a habit though, it is expensive and not well regulated in my opinion.

Agreed. I rarely catch cabs. I’d rather walk a mile than spend $10 to catch a cab for a mile. While they’re only easy to hail in certain areas (all along high street isn’t too hard) the numbers to get in touch with them are easy to remember if you program them into your phone. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

redfish-bluefish wrote >>

That does sound pretty thin for a hop night on your ride back. I was talking to someone from COTA who was out on Friday night though and they said that so far overall ridership on the #21 was higher than they were originally projecting. I imagine it takes awhile for this sort of thing to catch on. Probably pretty difficult to spread the word to folks who have zero interest in normally riding the bus, but who may actually be interested in this late night route.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

redfish-bluefish wrote >>

That does sound pretty thin for a hop night on your ride back. I was talking to someone from COTA who was out on Friday night though and they said that so far overall ridership on the #21 was higher than they were originally projecting. I imagine it takes awhile for this sort of thing to catch on. Probably pretty difficult to spread the word to folks who have zero interest in normally riding the bus, but who may actually be interested in this late night route.

I imagine when people start realizing that the bus fare is cheaper than the meter, it’ll pick up.

johnwirtz
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>

I don’t consider it very convenient if I have to call instead of just walk down the street and raise my hand in the air. Nevertheless, it wouldn’t be too hard to have a few numbers in a phone for emergencies. I agree that cabs are generally too expensive for my taste though. I typically use transit instead.

berdawn

johnwirtz wrote >>

JonMyers wrote >>

I don’t consider it very convenient if I have to call instead of just walk down the street and raise my hand in the air. Nevertheless, it wouldn’t be too hard to have a few numbers in a phone for emergencies. I agree that cabs are generally too expensive for my taste though. I typically use transit instead.

I usually have good luck getting cabs pretty much any where on High Street.

Walker wrote >> I was talking to someone from COTA who was out on Friday night though and they said that so far overall ridership on the #21 was higher than they were originally projecting.

that’s good to hear; though it does make one wonder how low their expectations were.

in all seriousness, they might want to do a bit more to promote this route. while i was waiting for the bus back, several groups approached me to ask if i was the only one waiting to catch a cab. they were surprised that there was a bus available.
    one of the groups even started discussing whether they should take it or not. that crazy talk ended when one of them said “nah, let’s just get a cab. it’s easier.”

for those that are lucky enough to live along the high street corridor, the bus should be de rigueur for a night out. i know columbus is a car city and taking the bus requires a paradigm shift for columbusites/columbusonians, but being from new york i don’t think twice about walking 5-8 blocks on either side of my journey to catch public transportation. especially on a drinking night.

it seriously was a pleasure to be here in columbus and take the night owl bus down to my destination. it felt right; unlike the night i went to a party in german village and daintily nursed cocktails all evening, fearfull of my drive home on 71.

i’d hope that ridership would increase to the point that cota would be able to extend the route all the way down to gv. that would be a big step in the right direction.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Oh yeah, I’d definitely ride it to GV. I never go to High Beck or Gresso’s because I don’t want to deal with driving and parking down there. I wonder if the same is true for people who live in GV and don’t go to places in the Short North.

joev
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>
    Oh yeah, I’d definitely ride it to GV. I never go to High Beck or Gresso’s because I don’t want to deal with driving and parking down there. I wonder if the same is true for people who live in GV and don’t go to places in the Short North.

Pretty much. We don’t dine or drink out much in the Short North, both because parking and driving and DDs are a hassle to figure out, but also because we have great places to eat and drink within walking distance.

joev wrote >>

but also because we have great places to eat and drink within walking distance.

that is true. i’ve found the gv area to be the most brooklyn-like area of columbus and a lot more familiar feeling for me. walking distance is key.

that being said, last bus out of gv is like 9pm-ish on weekends. this seems kinda early to me. even keeping the relevant routes open til midnight would be a great help in creating some sort of connectivity between gv and the northward social centers along high street. why not be able to go to alana’s or sage for dinner, hit a venue in the short north and finish off the night at a local in gv; all by bus. sounds ideal to me.

from gv, all you’d need would be a bus that went as far as the convention center area, where, i believe, the southernmost stop of the #21 is located. gv and sn are really not that far away from each other but at night, without a car, you can’t get theya from heya.

JerrodWagner

I didn’t get a chance to make it out to this crawl, but I’m thinking of planning a bus crawl on December 26th.
    How did it go for you?
    Any tips on route, what bars to go to? etc etc
    If you buy an all day bus pass does it work pass midnight?
    Any bars give special deals for people with bus passes?

JonMyers
    Participant

I do hail cabs on High street sometimes. The problem is there is no consistent understanding here of when or how to hail. Also, the cabs differ with their lights on or off to indicate that they already have a fare.

German Village Cab Company is just fast and the easiest way to get a cab.

614-221-2222

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

I think Experience Columbus had a cab work group to get the cab drivers to be more consistent with signaling when they are in service. I’m not sure how it ended up but it’s a good idea to try again. I bet if you got the heads of all the cab companies in Columbus to attend a meeting, we could figure out a consistent message to send visitors and residents. I bet it would definitely increase ridership.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)

The forum ‘Miscellaneous Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: