Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

cota gripe/request for help

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A cota gripe/request for help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

nexttuesday
    Participant

Maybe I’m just an idiot who can’t figure out bus routes, but I spent about 20 minutes on COTA’s site, trying to figure out if it would be worth my while to park and ride from griggs reservoir to OSU campus (specifically the 11th ave/high st. intersection). For the life of me, I can’t figure out if I’m going to be stuck on a bus that doesn’t stop at any stops and end up in Dublin.

Anyone use this park and ride? I’d like to save myself the gas money since I can ride for free, but their stupid route guide tells me to walk 46 minutes to some stop. I think not. Thanks for any advice.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m not familiar with that park and ride, but I punched in a few things into the google transit helper and got this:

http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&f=d&dirflg=r&saddr=riverside+%26+Nottingham%2C+columbus&daddr=11th+%26+high%2C+columbus&ttype=arr&date=7%2F29&time=8am

39 minute ride (assuming you want to get to work at 8am).

joev
    Participant

When I used to live in UA, I used COTA and that park and ride. I believe the only bus that stopped there was the 58 (Dublin Express.) After that park and ride, the next stop wasn’t until downtown. Worked for me, but you’d have to catch a bus north up High from the dropoff point.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

nexttuesday wrote Maybe I’m just an idiot who can’t figure out bus routes, but I spent about 20 minutes on COTA’s site, trying to figure out if it would be worth my while to park and ride from griggs reservoir to OSU campus (specifically the 11th ave/high st. intersection). For the life of me, I can’t figure out if I’m going to be stuck on a bus that doesn’t stop at any stops and end up in Dublin.

Anyone use this park and ride? I’d like to save myself the gas money since I can ride for free, but their stupid route guide tells me to walk 46 minutes to some stop. I think not. Thanks for any advice.

And yet people say there is nothing wrong with our bus system as is.

The new google feature Walker posted is pretty good.

HeySquare
    Participant

nexttuesday wrote Maybe I’m just an idiot who can’t figure out bus routes, but I spent about 20 minutes on COTA’s site, trying to figure out if it would be worth my while to park and ride from griggs reservoir to OSU campus (specifically the 11th ave/high st. intersection). For the life of me, I can’t figure out if I’m going to be stuck on a bus that doesn’t stop at any stops and end up in Dublin.

I checked out the map. The only bus that stops there is the 58 Dublin express (and the zoo bus, but that’s another story). The express is basically a commuter shuttle. The bus will take you downtown, and you would have to transfer to a local bus to get to campus. The express bus only runs a couple times per day, so it would work if you are on a 8-5 type workday schedule, but probably won’t work if you are on a less regulated schedule.

The good news is that is runs directly from the Griggs Dam park and ride downtown… can’t get much faster than that; however, you’d have to transfer to a #2 or #8 to get to campus.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Walker wrote 39 minute ride

Not sure how efficient that is to travel less than 7 miles though :shock:

joev
    Participant

HeySquare wrote

I checked out the map. The only bus that stops there is the 58 Dublin express (and the zoo bus, but that’s another story). The express is basically a commuter shuttle. The bus will take you downtown, and you would have to transfer to a local bus to get to campus. The express bus only runs a couple times per day, so it would work if you are on a 8-5 type workday schedule, but probably won’t work if you are on a less regulated schedule.

The good news is that is runs directly from the Griggs Dam park and ride downtown… can’t get much faster than that; however, you’d have to transfer to a #2 or #8 to get to campus.

Isn’t that exactly what I just said two posts earlier?

Nexttuesday, when we lived in UA, my wife would park in a lot on Ackerman/Kenny and a university shuttle would take her into campus. Not sure if that option is still available, but would seem to be the far better choice.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Coremodels wrote

Depends on if you’re considering “time” or “cost” as efficient. Those 7 miles take 14 minutes to drive, and cost you roughly 50 cents a mile to drive them.

If NT were to drive every work day of August, that’s a driving bill of $147 (294 miles), which doesn’t include parking fees if they have any.

A bus pass is normally $45, but they’d have to get the express pass, which is $62 for a month.

So yeah… I guess it just depends on your priorities. Do you want to spend 14 minutes driving to work and paying $147+ over the course of a month? Or do you want to spend 39 minutes on the bus (reading a book?) and pay $62 per month?

It’s good to have choices. :D

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Walker wrote

Coremodels wrote

Depends on if you’re considering “time” or “cost” as efficient. Those 7 miles take 14 minutes to drive, and cost you roughly 50 cents a mile to drive them.

If NT were to drive every work day of August, that’s a driving bill of $147 (294 miles), which doesn’t include parking fees if they have any.

A bus pass is normally $45, but they’d have to get the express pass, which is $62 for a month.

So yeah… I guess it just depends on your priorities. Do you want to spend 14 minutes driving to work and paying $147+ over the course of a month? Or do you want to spend 39 minutes on the bus (reading a book?) and pay $62 per month?

It’s good to have choices. :D

and assuming you are worth 10 dollars an hour, saving 30 minutes=5.00 per trip, or 10.00 per day…or 200.00 over the course of a month.

And that’s if you’re worth 10.00 an hour.

Math is funny.

drew
    Participant

Coremodels wrote and assuming you are worth 10 dollars an hour, saving 30 minutes=5.00 per trip, or 10.00 per day…or 200.00 over the course of a month.

And that’s if you’re worth 10.00 an hour.

Math is funny.

Yep, that’s my biggest problem with the bus. The time issue is a killer.

HeySquare
    Participant

joev wrote Isn’t that exactly what I just said two posts earlier?

Um… not exactly. since you didn’t mention that it only runs twice a day, I thought I’d mention it. Cause that would likely be a huge problem for any student.

and for future reference, the copyright symbol looks like this ©

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Coremodels wrote and assuming you are worth 10 dollars an hour, saving 30 minutes=5.00 per trip, or 10.00 per day…or 200.00 over the course of a month.

Only if you’re getting paid during non-work hours. ;)

I don’t think most people get paid for sleeping in a few extra minutes.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

If I am commuting when I should be at work, then I have other issues.

You plan ahead and deal with any delay, off clock.

nexttuesday
    Participant

Thanks for the responses. I think the time is worth it, and in rush hour, 7 miles can definitely take 30 minutes plus to drive (when I had to drive from Graceland shopping center to Dublin Rd/Fishinger area it took me 40 minutes to drive the approx. 8 miles in rush hour).

It will definitely be worth the time considering I am an OSU student so I ride for free, and parking on campus will cost me a parking pass (several hundred dollars I am sure).

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

nexttuesday wrote It will definitely be worth the time considering I am an OSU student so I ride for free, and parking on campus will cost me a parking pass (several hundred dollars I am sure).

Yeah, sounds like you’re a perfect candidate for this. Keep us posted with how it goes. Riding the bus can be a little intimidating the first few times if you haven’t done it before or haven’t done it in a long time, but you get used to it pretty quickly. :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: