Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

COTA for Dummies questions

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation COTA for Dummies questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

mrpoppinzs

I have lived in Columbus for awhile and have bus routes fairly close by. I have not taken a bus since 6th grade, but can see the advantages of taking it for some happy hour jaunts.

I have looked at the ‘how to ride’ COTA brochure on their website and my question is about getting off the bus. I understand I need to push a yellow button or pull a cord to signal the driver I want to get off.

A) Will the bus stop at any corner near where I push the button or will it only stop at designated bus stops for that bus route?

B) If it is on High St. will it stop at any of many marked bus stops to let me off even if it is not part of that particular buses route?

TIA

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

A) Buses only stop at designated stops. Which are generally located every 2-3 blocks.

B) No, they only stop at route stops… but I think on High Street there are very few stops where buses are omitted from individual stops.

Plan your trip in advance here and you’ll be fine: http://transit.google.com/

mrpoppinzs

Thanks

patient_zero
    Participant

Don’t forget to ask for a transfer ticket if you are hopping on another bus within the allotted time frame.

mrpoppinzs

I was wondering about that – are transfers free? thanks again

looked it up:

Transfers
    Customers who purchase a single-trip bus fare can transfer to another bus line of the same type or same line in the same direction without charge. Transfers are valid for two hours from time of issue. Transfers between bus types, such as from a Local to an Express route, are subject to an up-charge. Ask your bus operator for transfers when you board the bus. Additional $1 is required to ride a Local bus with a LINK transfer and an additional $1.75 is required to ride an Express bus with a LINK transfer

patient_zero
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    I was wondering about that – are transfers free? thanks again

Yep. Transfers are free (unless you forget to ask for them and step off the bus like I’ve done). They have an expiration time that’s listed on the ticket.

An all day pass is a good deal if you are traveling around town, and a monthly pass if you would use the bus a lot.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Also, if you are confused, most drivers are pretty friendly and helpful if you tell them where you’re going and ask them what to do.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Tips from someone who rides daily:

All buses have automated stop announcements, but sometimes the GPS gets behind and it will tell you the next stop is “____” when you already passed it. So it’s good to have a general idea where you want to alight. Sometimes the announcements aren’t working as well. Most COTA stops are spaced way too close to each other, so you may need practice to pull the cord at exactly the right time, but it’s not a big deal if you don’t mind walking an extra block.

Always have your fare/bus pass out and ready when you step on. There is a lady who literally takes an entire minute digging through her purse every morning trying to find her pass on the bus I take. Also if you don’t have exact change, you can overpay for your fare, but you won’t get change back.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: