Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

COTA BUS TRACKER? Seriously? POS!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation COTA BUS TRACKER? Seriously? POS!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Rastapasta

LoudPrincess wrote >>

Rastapasta wrote >>
    It works great around campus, and with a bit of ingenuity (simple estimation) you can track buses like the #2 a bit further

That’s cool, and all, but there are stops, like at the Rhodes Tower, where they don’t post any scheduled times, that BusTracker would come in REALLY handy.

So find the nearest stop with tracker that bus goes to and make an estimate.

Ben
    Participant

Even Dayton has scrolling tracker screens at several of their stops.

bjones7
    Participant

Well COTA is “transit” challenged and just like this sentence, cota doesn’t make any sense!

heresthecasey
    Participant

just noticed the new cota logo on their website. finally ditching the red oval are they??

LoudPrincess

Rastapasta wrote >>

LoudPrincess wrote >>

Rastapasta wrote >>
    It works great around campus, and with a bit of ingenuity (simple estimation) you can track buses like the #2 a bit further

That’s cool, and all, but there are stops, like at the Rhodes Tower, where they don’t post any scheduled times, that BusTracker would come in REALLY handy.

So find the nearest stop with tracker that bus goes to and make an estimate.

That doesn’t quite work if you’re catching a connecting bus on a perpendicular route. Just sayin’.

bldng4jstc
    Participant

Does anyone know how to get cota routes in a internet map format? Bus-tracker (although never used the gps) was great at highlighting where each route went in detail. Now the website only has a worthless bus stop locater. Google maps does not highlight routes, the maps on the front of the pdfs are too simple, and the master route map on cota’s website is too hard to decipher. Anyone have any ideas how to easily see routes in a google maps format?

Examples:
    Chicago:
    http://www.ctabustracker.com/bustime/map/displaymap.jsp
    tOSU:
    http://www.trip.osu.edu/bustime/map/displaymap.jsp

Although google transit does a great job of getting me where I want to go, I simply know nothing about the route other then where I get on and off. Would be good to have an idea to further utilize cota. Thanks

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If you can find a bored programmer/coder, perhaps you can convince them to create an App for you?

http://xingcolumbus.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/cota-releasing-open-google-transit-data/

th0m
    Participant

I spent a lot of time staring at the tracking data they were providing, even thinking of writing apps against it, but it became clear pretty quickly 1) it wasn’t very accurate or clean data and 2) they had no official availability policy.

Since then, this past year, I managed to hear talk that they are indeed upgrading the system with something more like OSU’s system, and should be able to provide things like texting and ETAs, and it is supposed to be rolled out any day now.

johnwirtz
    Participant

bldng4jstc wrote >>
    the master route map on cota’s website is too hard to decipher.

I’m working on an alternative system map. Look for something on XingColumbus in the next couple of weeks.

ehill27
    Participant

th0m wrote >>
    …they are indeed upgrading the system with something more like OSU’s system, and should be able to provide things like texting and ETAs, and it is supposed to be rolled out any day now.

I inquired about these upgrades last month and the reply from COTA was that realtime services would be implemented in “late 2011” and the text service would “gradually” be expanded to all stops.

Speaking of long overdue improvements… when are they installing those bus shelters at the statehouse?!

bldng4jstc
    Participant

johnwirtz wrote >>

bldng4jstc wrote >>

I’m working on an alternative system map. Look for something on XingColumbus in the next couple of weeks.

Great, I thought your Frequent Network Map was a great idea.

Although apps and real time data is nice, how about something like the master map but for each route. Someone had to put a color for almost every route on the map to make the master – so why not make each route a layer and generate route maps from there instead of the simplistic ones on the pdfs? What map does each bus driver use to learn the routes?

johnwirtz
    Participant

bldng4jstc wrote >>

johnwirtz wrote >>

bldng4jstc wrote >>

Great, I thought your Frequent Network Map was a great idea.
    Although apps and real time data is nice, how about something like the master map but for each route. Someone had to put a color for almost every route on the map to make the master – so why not make each route a layer and generate route maps from there instead of the simplistic ones on the pdfs? What map does each bus driver use to learn the routes?

Okay. It’s not perfect, but I think it’s better than the official version:

http://xingcolumbus.wordpress.com/2011/01/14/unofficial-cota-system-map/

anillo
    Participant

I think it’s a lot better too.

bjones7
    Participant

@ John. Great “Unofficial” COTA System map!. I would rather use this map over the current “Official” one any day. In fact my printer does print 11×17’s so I think I just might!.

Oh and great move for COTA to release their bus route and time information in a opensource manner. However, unless you have a opensource community(cota or 3rd party) or a private “paid for” source, it will take forever to output something that will be worth COTA’s interest. I’m not stating that one programmer can’t compile a program for Cota’s bus tracker, but with out resources from a community or even other transit website’s (seeing just saying web resources wouldn’t hit the nail on it’s head), it will take a long time!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bjones7 wrote >>
    Oh and great move for COTA to release their bus route and time information in a opensource manner. However, unless you have a opensource community(cota or 3rd party) or a private “paid for” source, it will take forever to output something that will be worth COTA’s interest!

Not necessarily. I just stumbled upon Mapnificent last night and submitted a request for them to add COTA’s data to their tool. They’re working on it now, and it sounds like it should be added by the end of the week. Without open data this wouldn’t have been possible, and the developer is a 23 year old in Germany. The open source “community” doesn’t have to necessarily be local, or even working collaboratively on a single project.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: