Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

COTA BUS TRACKER? Seriously? POS!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation COTA BUS TRACKER? Seriously? POS!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

bjones7
    Participant

It came to my attention a while back that with the power of a Google Map-API, that COTA can now use their GPS units on board their busses, to broadcast the buses location to COTA’s “Real-Time Locations” website. I thought this was pretty cool and I was waiting for them to come out with a cell phone version/app.

BUT NOPE! In fact now you can’t even access the “”Real-Time Locations” found here: http://cota.com/Bus-Tracker.aspx

It says : “Route XXX can not be found” . My question to them…if it doesn’t work, why not take the link off your website COTA?!?

Real-Time Tracker on your cell phone, would of been the closest thing to, having a screen that tells you how many minutes away the bus is, at the bus shelter (forget the name of the device).

Anyone else notice this?

bjones7
    Participant

The tool its self is here: http://classic.cota.com/realtime.asp

cc

It has actually had times where it, in theory, was ‘working’ – ie buses showed up. Even then it was not very accurate. I consider it a work in progress.

Lakee911
    Participant

Don’t they have something you can text and it’ll send you data?

CABS tried this real time thing too about 9-10 yrs ago and it sucked and was always broke.

I know it’s not real time, but google maps directions on public transit will give you pick up times and bus route. I use it just about everyday and its always within a couple of minutes of the time displayed.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Lakee911 wrote >>
    Don’t they have something you can text and it’ll send you data?

I believe that’s only been rolled out on/around the OSU campus area.

bjones7
    Participant

@ Lakee911

Your thinking of the “OSU Pilot Program where students on campus can text their stop ID number and receive the next schedule bus arrival”

That will work if your a students, but thats it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Displaced Columbusite wrote >>
    I know it’s not real time, but google maps directions on public transit will give you pick up times and bus route. I use it just about everyday and its always within a couple of minutes of the time displayed.

+1

I use the same thing for figuring out when and where I need to be to catch the bus to where I’m going. Having the GPS in the iphone version of google maps is even easier because you can use your current location as a starting point. Works well for me, and around 95% of the time, the buses seem to be within 4-5 minutes of their schedules.

Lakee911
    Participant

bjones7 wrote >>
    @ Lakee911
    Your thinking of the “OSU Pilot Program where students on campus can text their stop ID number and receive the next schedule bus arrival”
    That will work if your a students, but thats it.

Really? I could have sworn the Indianola stops @ Olentangy St. in Clintonville have this information … I’ll have to check it out when I drive by this evening.

CMH2579
    Participant

COTA is currently upgrading their Automatic Vehicle location system and their buses are being retrofitted currently. This means the equipment used to transmit to dispatch and in turn http://classic.cota.com/realtime.asp is being removed and replaced with a new system. Also all of their 2010 buses did not have the equipment installed so less and less buses show up on the map. Once the system is fully in place the intention is to switch the texting service from schedule based to rail time based.

CABS currently has a bus tracking service in place which is called TRIP – Transportation Route Information Program. Real time arrival information is available at http://www.trip.osu.edu as well as at stops with LED signs or texting OSUTRIP and the stop number to 41411.

bjones7
    Participant

@WALKER

Thanks! Ya, but living in San Fran, Im so use to “real time” bus tracker info! I mean your right, that works.

@CMH2579

Wow, thanks for the information!(My Point–>) I just find it strange they allow people to click that link to a web application, that DOESN”T WORK, lol. I mean, come one COTA, an “under-construction” page takes 3-4 minutes. It’s like if CU’s transit forum page, kept on showing an apache error, would Walker keep that up? No, unless he didn’t know of it.

Anyways thanks! and thats pretty awesome. Say, how do you know all of this? I wouldn’t mind knowing your source(please!)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bjones7 wrote >> Thanks! Ya, but living in San Fran, Im so use to “real time” bus tracker info! I mean your right, that works.

Yeah, we visited SF a few years ago and I loved the scrolling LCD screens at many of the stops that provided real-time info on bus arrivals. I think it would be easy for COTA to implement something like this at some of their most-used bus shelters (especially Downtown) for the convenience of riders.

LoudPrincess

Walker wrote >>

bjones7 wrote >> Thanks! Ya, but living in San Fran, Im so use to “real time” bus tracker info! I mean your right, that works.

Yeah, we visited SF a few years ago and I loved the scrolling LCD screens at many of the stops that provided real-time info on bus arrivals. I think it would be easy for COTA to implement something like this at some of their most-used bus shelters (especially Downtown) for the convenience of riders.

Yeah, but you know they’d have to hike the fare up further. I would just be happy if the BusTracker system was COTA-wide, not just OSU stops.

Rastapasta

It works great around campus, and with a bit of ingenuity (simple estimation) you can track buses like the #2 a bit further

LoudPrincess

Rastapasta wrote >>
    It works great around campus, and with a bit of ingenuity (simple estimation) you can track buses like the #2 a bit further

That’s cool, and all, but there are stops, like at the Rhodes Tower, where they don’t post any scheduled times, that BusTracker would come in REALLY handy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: