Our City Online

Messageboard - Civic Meetings

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

COTA 2010 Fare Adjustment Meeting - Tuesday, Oct. 20

Home Forums Events Civic Meetings COTA 2010 Fare Adjustment Meeting – Tuesday, Oct. 20

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Fare Adjustment Input Meeting Scheduled

WHAT: Central Ohio Transit Authority’s (COTA) Public Input Meeting on proposed 2010 fare adjustment

WHERE: Rhodes State Office Building, 30 E. Broad St., Lobby Hearing Room, Columbus 43215

WHEN: Tuesday, Oct. 20, 12-1 p.m.

WHY: A public meeting has been scheduled for COTA to receive input on proposed 2010 fare adjustment.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Fares on the bus go up and up
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:05 AM
    By Dean Narciso
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Bus riders will need more change for the coin box in January if a plan to increase fares as much as 26 percent is approved by the Central Ohio Transit Authority.

The proposed jump would take effect on Jan. 1, pending approval by the COTA board as early as its Nov. 17 meeting, said Marty Stutz, authority spokesman.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/10/19/copy/cotahike.ART_ART_10-19-09_B1_VVFDM0C.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

Analogue Kid
    Participant

*feigns shock*

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Always a bummer to pay more for things, but I still think sharing a bus pass for $55 month is a better value in our household than owning a second car.

johnwirtz
    Participant

Beats the $110 the CTA are proposing.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Always a bummer to pay more for things, but I still think sharing a bus pass for $55 month is a better value in our household than owning a second car.

The fees don’t seem all that bad. Service is improving. Hopefully we can see a jump on some other projects with the potential fare increase, like the articulated buses or later service. It would be nice to see a real reason behind it and what the overall goal is out of it. Is revenue or funding down? Are they hoping to move forward with better transit offerings?

BCNation
    Participant

If they do it, they need to do it right. If they are going to raise rates, they need to be rounder figures, like making children pay $ 1, because no parent is going to have 85 even cents…and Express fare be $ 3. But it’s more $$$ coming out of our pockets. However, the typical COTA rider doesn’t know jack about what goes on @ COTA, and they may be left in the cold if they don’t know…

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

BCNation wrote >>
    If they do it, they need to do it right. If they are going to raise rates, they need to be rounder figures, like making children pay $ 1, because no parent is going to have 85 even cents…and Express fare be $ 3. But it’s more $$$ coming out of our pockets. However, the typical COTA rider doesn’t know jack about what goes on @ COTA, and they may be left in the cold if they don’t know…

If that money goes to a product that I find valuable, I am happy to pay it. Which is why I am curious if this will be enable COTA to role out some of their long term goals quicker-like say smart cards-with the added revenue.

johnwirtz
    Participant

Smart cards would definitely help with the problem BCNation noted of people digging around for $0.85. It would also speed up service, ultimately saving COTA money. I’m surprised it hasn’t been done yet.

I still suggest[/url] teaming up with other transit agencies in Ohio to split the cost of the technology. Then passengers could use the same card in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dayton, Toledo, Akron, and Youngstown. Such a partnership would be pretty innovative in the transit industry as far as I know.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

johnwirtz wrote >>
    Smart cards would definitely help with the problem BCNation noted of people digging around for $0.85. It would also speed up service, ultimately saving COTA money. I’m surprised it hasn’t been done yet.
    I still suggest[/url] teaming up with other transit agencies in Ohio to split the cost of the technology. Then passengers could use the same card in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dayton, Toledo, Akron, and Youngstown. Such a partnership would be pretty innovative in the transit industry as far as I know.

And might help with appeal when the 3C gets rolling…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Civic Meetings’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: