Our City Online

Messageboard - TV

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssy

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion TV Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

countessbranca
    Participant

What does everyone think so far? I’m not sold, but entertained enough to be strung along for a bit longer…

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Honestly, it’s the highlight of my TV viewing week. A lot of early complaints from science nerds was that the series doesn’t delve too deeply into astronomy and hard science, but I don’t think that’s the purpose of the show. This is the first time a program of this type has been on network television in a prime time slot, and Tyson isn’t on it to teach astrophysics. The show is geared to getting people even vaguely interested in science and the universe so that they will explore more on their own and get a discussion going.

Might I ask what you don’t like.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Honestly, it’s the highlight of my TV viewing week. A lot of early complaints from science nerds was that the series doesn’t delve too deeply into astronomy and hard science, but I don’t think that’s the purpose of the show. This is the first time a program of this type has been on network television in a prime time slot, and Tyson isn’t on it to teach astrophysics. The show is geared to getting people even vaguely interested in science and the universe so that they will explore more on their own and get a discussion going.

That same complaint was levied against the first Cosmos and Carl Sagan himself. Sagan was a generalist and both Cosmos series are also generalist in nature. A lot of people in the science community despise generalists. They don’t realize that without faces like Sagan and Tyson around scientists get thrown back into the “mad scientist” and “absent minded professor” stereotypes.

Personally, I’m really digging the new Cosmos too. I do find it interesting that on one Fox channel they confirm the world is billions of years old while on anther they insist it’s only a few thousand.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

HAHA! Fox News is so remote from my mind I hadn’t even considered that, great point!

People aren’t going to invest, or advocate for something they don’t understand. I see Tyson, and I know he has a brilliant mind, but his job, both with Cosmos as well as the New York Planetarium is fundraising and advocacy, neither of which he can be successful at if he’s talking over the heads of 98% of the public.

Achekov
    Participant

I like the show so far. Can’t imagine it will make it on Prime Time TV, though. This is why PBS was created.

Pablo
    Participant

I like the show. My 10 year old son is fascinated by it even though he doesn’t understand all the concepts. Maybe that’s the point – to get people interested in science.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Last night was a good one, esp. the discussion around the speed of light and how nothing will ever be able to be faster than the speed of light and the only way for the universe to be logical if if it has a speed limit.
    Never considered this before.

countessbranca
    Participant

@mrsgeedeck: It can be a little corny and the narrative line is a bit jumpy for my taste. I’m really glad there’s a program on television on this topic that is so visible, and I think Tyson is a great pick as host.

Achekov
    Participant

I thought last nights episode was choppy and jumped too quickly from one subject to the next. Somehow we got from photosynthesis to nutrinos in three steps. There was still some good stuff going on though.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Oh my. Errors in digital recording can sometimes be hilarious. Mae and I were watching a recording of the May 18th episode. The digital signal kept dropping out while the computer was recording the program. At one point, host Neil deGrasse Tyson was talking about the explosion caused by an asteroid hitting the Earth. As best I can tell, he said, “…big asteroid hit the Earth, the explosion…” But the signal dropped out for a few seconds. So what we heard was, “…big ass…explosion.”

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Here is the audio of what we heard.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

This is actually turning out to be a great history show. The history is actually as interesting as the science.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘TV’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION