Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Burwell Heights Development in Italian Village (Corner of 5th and Summit)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Burwell Heights Development in Italian Village (Corner of 5th and Summit)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

More Details Unveiled for Development at Summit and Fifth
    March 12, 2015 12:04 am – Walker Evans

The March 17th Italian Village Commission meeting promises to be an extremely busy (ie: lengthy) one, with nearly two dozen projects submitted for review. Some of the submissions are smaller, like residents in the neighborhood who want to build a privacy fence, and some of the submissions are larger, like the five-story mixed-use Burwell Heights development being planned for the southwest corner of Summit and Fifth.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/more-details-unveiled-for-development-at-summit-and-fifth

ohbr
    Participant

This isn’t only a great prospect for Italian Village, it’s great for Weinland Park as well. The potential success of this will feed into greater development through the southern portion of Weinland Park. Same for the Budd Dairy/Durable Slate projects. The better that area does just south of 5th, the better the area just north of 5th will do.

jOHnH
    Participant

This really is great, I love seeing how the area is developing. Would really love to see 5th ave go through some major changes/overhaul.

Looks like there is a lot zoned commercial across the street for sale, any potential partners out there????

summitcbus
    Participant

I live in one of the duplexes on summit just north of 5th. This development is fantastic and well thought out. I look forward to seeing ground break.

I am not trying to be petty or whine, but I hope when the tire shop on the NW corner of 5th and Summit gets redeveloped they won’t block out the summer sun for our gardens or those beautiful sunsets. My duplex lives off the vegetation grown during the summer months on 6 raised beds. Some of the produce even goes to local Short North food establishments. Weinland Park loves their gardens and I hope once development moves north of 5th, the character that makes Weinland special will be preserved.

I believe a good ergonomic design would calm these minor reservations and hope I can express them to the future developers.

Side note: The Food District on 5th and 4th St is really exciting for the area as well.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I’m a little unsure of the extra floor stuck into the mansard roof and the underpass on the one building. But I’m absolutely in love with the details on the corner building. I hope they keep the quality of the materials high

mbeaumont
    Participant

The Food District is no longer happening on 5th and 4th, from what I’ve heard.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I just started asking around and the preliminary response is that it’s still happening.

More details coming soon.

goldenidea
    Participant

mbeaumont wrote:

I just started asking around and the preliminary response is that it’s still happening.

More details coming soon.

Just to update… as noted earlier, Woody & Joe’s is now gone. I presume acquistion and site clearing was a step toward doing something on the 3M lot. Also, at this month’s Weinland Park Housing Committee meeting, it was mentioned that the Beer Barn (aka Mid-America) parcel is now up for sale, but I haven’t seen a sign or a listing. Earlier rumors were that an Indian restaurant was going to occupy or replace the Beer Barn space, but apparently that’s no longer in the works, the owners have decided to sell.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Since the beer barn was mentioned… In college I went their with a few friends looking to get the liqueur 43 because we wanted to make “mini beers”. We asked if they had it and the guy behind the counter gave us a dirty look and said “Look, you guys looking to get to get drunk, or not drunk”

Still my favorite thing a clerk has ever said to me.

News
    Participant

Burwell Heights Development Gets First Architectural Review
    March 18, 2015 7:00 am – Walker Evans

The design for the ambitious Burwell Heights mixed-use development that was revealed last week went in front of the Italian Village Commission last night, and received a combination of praise and critique during the feedback session. The design was noted as being a very preliminary one, with room for discussion about the specific best use of the site, which was formerly home to a taxi company parking lot and repair garage.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/burwell-heights-development-gets-first-architectural-review

News
    Participant

Ground-Breaking Scheduled for Fifth and Summit Project in Italian Village
    May 14, 2015 7:00 am – Brent Warren

Construction will be starting soon on the first phase of developer Brad Howe’s mixed-use project at the southwest corner of Summit Street and East Fifth Avenue.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/ground-breaking-scheduled-for-fifth-and-summit-project-in-italian-village-bw1

Miracle
    Participant

Any word here on the delay? According to the most recent article, there were supposed to be two buildings under construction already. As a new Weinland Park resident, i use 5th Ave to get to and from the SN often – really looking forward to this improved corner and retail.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

I noticed the Crossfit people had moved all the machines and everything out. I also saw someone else mention design rendering signs had gone in. Is construction starting soon on this?

DLDude
    Participant

Honestly I’m not sure how they would start with the road construction going on around there. It’s an nightmare on 4th and High. Anyone know the projected timeline for that?

Pablo
    Participant

The road resurfacing projects shouldn’t affect building construction.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE