Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Burwell Heights Development in Italian Village (Corner of 5th and Summit)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Burwell Heights Development in Italian Village (Corner of 5th and Summit)

This topic contains 53 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  mbeaumont 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author

beersie1
    Participant

It looks like the used car lot closed up shop over the weekend. Anyone have any insight to if there’s something going on with this corner?

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

Another used car lot? I been driving by that spot for the last 11 years, and it hasn’t changed. The 3 corners of that intersection have to be the biggest waste of real estate in the “Villages”. There was a week or so a while back that the cab company cleared out and I got all excited, but then it came back and I was dissappointed again.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Likes Old Houses said:
    The 3 corners of that intersection have to be the biggest waste of real estate in the “Villages”.

I cannot agree with this assessment more.

I always figured the car lot was a front of some sort since I rarely saw anyone coming or going, most cars didn’t have prices listed, and overall it looked sketchy and uninviting. I’ve bought a car from an impound lot off of Ebay once and would never set foot in a place that sketchy looking.

dru
    Participant

there were at least a few cars on the lot this afternoon. there was also a woman and child outside the building on the lot. She appeared to be sweeping the pavement.

Mercurius
    Participant

In other news, I saw today that 875 Summit is in contract. Here’s hoping that someone puts some love into it:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=875+summit+st&hl=en&gl=us&z=16&vpsrc=0

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Drove by a few times today and there was what looked to be a future taco truck parked in the front of the lot. It also appears that the building is being cleaned/painted so I’m thinking perhaps a new Mexican market and food truck. @geedeck thinks its the taco truck that used to reside in the parking lot by Quality pest control.

berdawn

Mercurius said:
    In other news, I saw today that 875 Summit is in contract. Here’s hoping that someone puts some love into it:

that could be a pretty nice patio!

beersie1
    Participant

berdawn said:
    that could be a pretty nice patio!

+1

I may have spoken too soon about 5th and Summit. Looks like more random vehicles are appearing and not moving. I did see the taco truck and got excited, but wonder if it might just be broken down/ stored there. Hmm.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

From the Weinland Park blog, it is indeed a food truck!
    El Escondido[/url]

Thanks Weinland Park blogger :)

beersie1
    Participant

Sweet! Hopefully they will work to eventually clean that corner up a bit- maybe take that old chain link fence down.

I hope there is some sort of retail element as rory mentioned, or possibly a patio of some kind. Seems like a pretty massive lot to have one lonely food truck.

Regardless, glad to see something new on that corner!

berdawn

beersie1 said:
    Sweet! Hopefully they will work to eventually clean that corner up a bit- maybe take that old chain link fence down.

I hope there is some sort of retail element as rory mentioned, or possibly a patio of some kind. Seems like a pretty massive lot to have one lonely food truck.

Regardless, glad to see something new on that corner!

It won’t be lonely once everyone shows up to eat! I could seriously alternate between Woody & Jo’s and a taco truck.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Mercurius said:

Looks like a new residential project here at First and Summit by Brad Howe (the guy behind the Jackson and Burwell projects further north and occasional poster here).

From this month’s IVC agenda (page 8),

13-7-23
    875 Summit Avenue
    Brad Howe (Applicant/Owner)
    An application and photographs have been submitted. This application was conceptually reviewed at the July 16, 2013 IVC hearing.

Demolition and New Construction
    • Demolish the existing service station building.
    • Complete environmental remediation, backfill and grading.
    • Construct a new, three (3) story building with retail on first floor and 12-13 dwelling units on the second and third floors.

http://development.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Development/Planning_Division/Boards_and_Commissions/Historic_Preservation/Italian_Village_Commission/Meetings/2013/IVC%20AUG%202013.agd.pdf

Current view of the site, http://goo.gl/maps/nJnoU

jbcmh81
    Participant

heresthecasey said:
    Looks like a new residential project here at First and Summit by Brad Howe (the guy behind the Jackson and Burwell projects further north and occasional poster here).

From this month’s IVC agenda (page 8),

13-7-23
    875 Summit Avenue
    Brad Howe (Applicant/Owner)
    An application and photographs have been submitted. This application was conceptually reviewed at the July 16, 2013 IVC hearing.

Demolition and New Construction
    • Demolish the existing service station building.
    • Complete environmental remediation, backfill and grading.
    • Construct a new, three (3) story building with retail on first floor and 12-13 dwelling units on the second and third floors.

http://development.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Development/Planning_Division/Boards_and_Commissions/Historic_Preservation/Italian_Village_Commission/Meetings/2013/IVC%20AUG%202013.agd.pdf

Current view of the site, http://goo.gl/maps/nJnoU

Off-topic, but right above that, I see a proposal for a 5-story building at 866 N. Pearl with 26 apartments. This would be just north of the Hub project and I haven’t seen anyone mention it here.

heresthecasey
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    Off-topic, but right above that, I see a proposal for a 5-story building at 866 N. Pearl with 26 apartments. This would be just north of the Hub project and I haven’t seen anyone mention it here.

Started a thread for it here.

jbcmh81
    Participant

heresthecasey said:
    Started a thread for it here.

Saw it, thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Win a Pair of Tickets to Product Runway: Express Your Wild Side

fundraisers events downtown fashion fun

Want to win tickets to Product Runway 2018 on Thursday, May 24th?

CLICK HERE TO ENTER THE CONTEST