Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Sports Pavilion & Automotive Research Complex (SPARC) - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Sports Pavilion & Automotive Research Complex (SPARC) – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 767 total)
  • Author
    Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

So when the price of oil goes through the roof in 10 years will we finally see a gladiator arena. Horses run on hay, tigers on meat, not cheap oil.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Parker said:
    Build a loud race track in the city center, right next to a poor neighborhood with an aging housing stock, no problem. Talk about building an effing Wal Mart in Westerville and the shit hits the fan.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, the Westerville Walmart is moving forward too:

Westerville Walmart

cc

Chris Sherman said:
    Sounds dreamy!

Ha! And I’m selling parking this weekend… I’m living the dream!

lol, a virtual field of dreams, build it and they will park…

News
    Participant

[b]Bob Hunter commentary: Cooper Stadium’s demise is hard to take[/b]
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011
    BY BOB HUNTER
    The Columbus Dispatch

[i]Like some active seniors, stadiums don’t usually do well in retirement. They age quickly when forced into idleness and grow feeble when they are no longer the life of the party.[/i]

[i]They have stories to tell – remarkable, fascinating stories – but no one wants to hear them. The crowd is into now, not then. It doesn’t take long for an old ballpark to go from being the center of attention to the old guy in the corner that everyone ignores.[/i]

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/07/19/cooper-stadiums-demise-is-hard-to-take.html?sid=101

G_Baker
    Participant

I still think this is a terrible idea. Let’s promote a “sport” that destroys the environment. Besides, plenty of money has already been wasted on another sport with a mediocre fan base in Columbus: Lacrosse.

News
    Participant

[b]Cooper Stadium used to rock[/b]
    By Mark Ferenchik
    The Columbus Dispatch
    September 07, 2011 13:09 PM

[i]The developers of the race track at the former Cooper Stadium filed an application for a special permit this week with Columbus’ development department. The city’s Board of Zoning Adjustment takes up the controversial issue on Nov. 15.[/i]

[i]The permit’s approval would finally clear the way for Arshot Investment to build its Cooper Park complex, including a half-mile race track and automotive research and technology center just west of Downtown off I-70. The city requires a special permit to operate an outdoor amphitheater. The Columbus City Council has already voted to rezone the site.[/i]

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/the-city/2011/09/cooper-park.html

Parker
    Participant

Walker said:
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, the Westerville Walmart is moving forward too:

Westerville Walmart

It doesn’t make me feel any better and I have to say I saw that coming. My point was that so many people were all tore up over Wal Mart, people from all over the country poured into this “cause.” Yet, where was the widespread outrage when Arshot proposed a racetrack in my neighborhood over two years ago?

Another solution to unwanted parking – flat tires.

SusanB
    Participant

SusanB
    Participant

SusanB said:
    [quote]I still think this is a terrible idea. Let’s promote a “sport” that destroys the environment. Besides, plenty of money
    [s]has already been[/s]
    will soon be wasted on another sport with a mediocre fan base in Columbus:
    [s]Lacrosse[/s]
    hockey.[/quote]

fixed that for you ;)

SusanB
    Participant

Thanks lifeontwowheels. (see below)

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

SusanB said:
    grrr can’t figure out the strike through code for this board ;(

Just cheat and highlight the text, then hit the [s]S[/s] above the text window.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Parker said:
    Yet, where was the widespread outrage when Arshot proposed a racetrack in my neighborhood over two years ago?

I saw plenty of it. There were a few community groups formed to fight against it, and many people became quite active and vocal against it.

It wasn’t enough to nix the project though… but that’s how it goes sometimes when not everyone agrees on something, right?

News
    Participant

[b]Advistory panel to help drive Cooper Park project
    [/b]Business First by Jeff Bell, Staff reporter
    Date: Friday, November 11, 2011

[i]With approval for his Cooper Park project nearing the finish line at City Hall, Columbus developer Bill Schottenstein has formed an advisory board to help guide the future of the automotive research and technology center planned at the complex.
    [/i]
    READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2011/11/11/panel-to-help-drive-cooper-park-project.html

News
    Participant

[b]City delays permit for Cooper Stadium racetrack
    [/b]By Mark Ferenchik
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Monday November 14, 2011 5:12 AM

[i]A decision on a special permit that would allow auto racing at Cooper Stadium will be delayed for a month as Columbus officials figure out what conditions should be placed on the operation and how they will be enforced.
    [/i]
    READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/11/14/city-delays-permit-for-arshots-racetrack.html

News
    Participant

[b]City backs Cooper Stadium plan
    [/b]By Mark Ferenchik
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Friday December 16, 2011 7:30 AM

[i]City officials are recommending that a panel approve a special permit next week to clear the way for a racetrack at the Cooper Stadium site. Their report says that the former home of the Columbus Clippers has been vacant for three years and its presence “has a negative impact on the surrounding community.”
    [/i]

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/12/16/city-backs-cooper-stadium-plan.html

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 767 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.