Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Sports Pavilion & Automotive Research Complex (SPARC) - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Sports Pavilion & Automotive Research Complex (SPARC) – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 767 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Cooper Park will be another home run for area
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 03:05 AM
    By JOHN O’GRADY – Franklin County Board of Commissioners
    The Columbus Dispatch

Times change, and Cooper Stadium has been empty now for nearly three years, decaying and run down. We are fortunate to have local developer Arshot Investments Corp. willing to invest $40 million to bring the stadium site back to life and revitalize an area in dire need of economic revitalization. Franklin County has entered into a purchase agreement with Arshot to buy the stadium site for $3.4 million if zoning is approval by Columbus City Council.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/editorials/stories/2011/06/25/cooper-park-will-be-another-home-run-for-area.html?sid=101

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Press Release:
    Councilmember A. Troy Miller Comments on Rezoning Cooper Stadium
    June 24, 2011

Columbus City Council will consider ordinance 0710-2011 to rezone Cooper Stadium at 1215 West Mound Street from Rural to Commercial Planned Development on Monday, June 27, 2011. Councilmember A. Troy Miller, chair of the Zoning Committee, held a public hearing this week to hear from the applicant, receive public comment and listen to opponents and proponents of the rezoning.

In response to community concerns raised during the hearing, Councilmember Miller is leading Council’s efforts to amend the zoning legislation to include strong, enforceable noise standards, and adding additional language to hold the developer accountable. In particular, Councilmember Miller is amending the ordinance to include a compliance review one year after spectator events begin.

“I appreciate the dedication and passion of the residents who came out to speak at the hearing. My office has received many calls, e mails, and letters from those who support and those who oppose the rezoning of Cooper Stadium. One of the greatest concerns I have heard from neighbors of the site has to do with noise. In response to that concern, I am asking that the Developer submit an annual review of compliance to the BZA after holding spectator events for one year. The community has asked for assurance that their concerns are heard if the rezoning application is approved. This review gives residents a platform to provide feedback about whether or not the Developer is indeed a good neighbor.”

Councilmember Miller expects additional amendments that also address noise mitigation and other community concerns to be added to the zoning legislation prior to consideration Monday.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Cooper Park Race Track is Moving Forward
    By Walker | June 27, 2011 8:45pm

All seven members of Columbus City Council voted in favor this evening to rezone the old Cooper Stadium ballpark for the development of the Cooper Park Complex auto racetrack project. This development is one that has been extensively debated and several amendments were included to the rezoning legislation to address community issues with the project.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/cooper-park-race-track-is-moving-forward

Thank you, Walker. I attended the meeting. I was surprised to hear City Council say we should work with the developer — maybe I misheard that?

I know I heard the developer’s attorney say that we had to be “good neighbors,” too. Does that mean letting someone from Hilliard (God Bless You, Hilliard) park in my yard?

If given a choice, I’d like to park my car on Emerald Parkway.

Lauderhaus

Pretty much a done deal now folks. Get ready to be the first US city with a downtown car racetrack! Yeeehaw!!

The good news is that if the sound wall works and if the developer races the kinds of cars he says he will when he says he will as often as he says he will, noise should be no problem. We trust em, right? Plus it’s just downtown, who wants to live downtown anyway? Tons and tons of cheap houses in Hilliard. BW3, Hooters, Wallmart!

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

You mad

Lauderhaus

Kinda.

EMvette

justanothercbuser wrote >>
    Thank you, Walker. I attended the meeting. I was surprised to hear City Council say we should work with the developer — maybe I misheard that?
    I know I heard the developer’s attorney say that we had to be “good neighbors,” too. Does that mean letting someone from Hilliard (God Bless You, Hilliard) park in my yard?

Did anybody park in your yard for baseball games?

groundrules
    Participant

Sold!!

Twixlen
    Participant

justanothercbuser wrote >>

Handily, I learned this weekend that unless signs are specifically posted for such, you cannot have a car towed from your private property, even if it’s obstructing your drive, garage, etc. Meaning, you can essentially park whereever you’d like, including at the homes of others, as long as there is no sign stating Parking here = Towing.

So. If it’s a real issue, get thee a sign.

fillstorer

What a sad time for Franklinton.

rohartman
    Participant

[/quote]Thank you, Walker. I attended the meeting. I was surprised to hear City Council say we should work with the developer — maybe I misheard that?
    If given a choice, I’d like to park my car on Emerald Parkway

I can’t wait to go to the first Columbus race! I go to the Indy 500 every year and everyone that lives close to the track is selling parking spaces in their yards. The closer you get to the track the more money they charge. I pay $30 every year to park in someones yard. I went to the Breeders Cup last year and the same thing was going on there. I’m not saying this track will every have large races to bring in that many people that they won’t have enought parking for them on sight. But we can dream!

The Columbus 500 brought in 14 million dollars in 1985 (28.7 million in today’s dollars) for the surrounding business in one weekend . I believe this is going to bring in a lot of money to this area also. What a happy time for Franklinton.

JimSweeney
    Participant

rohartman wrote >> I go to the Indy 500 every year and everyone that lives close to the track is selling parking spaces in their yards. The closer you get to the track the more money they charge. I pay $30 every year to park in someones yard. I went to the Breeders Cup last year and the same thing was going on there. I’m not saying this track will every have large races to bring in that many people that they won’t have enought parking for them on sight. But we can dream!

Sounds dreamy!

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

JimSweeney wrote >>

rohartman wrote >> I go to the Indy 500 every year and everyone that lives close to the track is selling parking spaces in their yards. The closer you get to the track the more money they charge. I pay $30 every year to park in someones yard. I went to the Breeders Cup last year and the same thing was going on there. I’m not saying this track will every have large races to bring in that many people that they won’t have enought parking for them on sight. But we can dream!

Sounds dreamy!

Ha! And I’m selling parking this weekend… I’m living the dream!

Parker
    Participant

JimSweeney said:
    Sounds dreamy!

rohartman said:
    [/quote]Thank you, Walker. I attended the meeting. I was surprised to hear City Council say we should work with the developer — maybe I misheard that?
    If given a choice, I’d like to park my car on Emerald Parkway

I can’t wait to go to the first Columbus race! I go to the Indy 500 every year and everyone that lives close to the track is selling parking spaces in their yards. The closer you get to the track the more money they charge. I pay $30 every year to park in someones yard. I went to the Breeders Cup last year and the same thing was going on there. I’m not saying this track will every have large races to bring in that many people that they won’t have enought parking for them on sight. But we can dream!

The Columbus 500 brought in 14 million dollars in 1985 (28.7 million in today’s dollars) for the surrounding business in one weekend . I believe this is going to bring in a lot of money to this area also. What a happy time for Franklinton.

Start your engines and wait for the disappointment… and flop, but I can’t wait to sell spots on my yard for ya’ll Hilliard folk to come and park, ya know, crumbs for the peasants.

Build a loud race track in the city center, right next to a poor neighborhood with an aging housing stock, no problem. Talk about building an effing Wal Mart in Westerville and the shit hits the fan.

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 767 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: