Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Connect Olentangy Trail to High Banks Metropark

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Connect Olentangy Trail to High Banks Metropark

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

peterdietz
    Participant

This past summer I was invited to a gathering at High Banks metropark, and attempted to bike there using the Olentangy Bike Trail, only to be greatly disappointed that I can be 500 feet from the park, but stuck on the wrong side of the river, with ABSOLUTELY no viable routes to connect.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a project to link High Banks Metropark and the Olentangy Bike Trail, and perhaps some status? I’m thinking that half of the problem is that this is the border between Franklin and Delaware Counties, with two different governments.

I have found a mention from an old Columbus Dispatch article talking about this:

Dispatch: Linking Bicycle Chains (Sept 2007)

Quote:
    POWELL The village offers about 15 miles of paths. Officials intend to connect those paths to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Highbanks Metro Park and the main pathway along the Olentangy River.

If I could suggest a solution, I would build a foot/bike bridge crossing the river from Olentangy Bike Path to High Banks Metropark, as opposed to some snaking route through streets.

leftovers

an X-2 Skycycle should clear that – no problem

Cbusbill
    Participant

I wish I had the details you (and I) are looking for. I live across from where that bike path ends, and would LOVE to see it extended north to meet up with Highbanks. Its a no brainer. I believe the bike path was extended north from Wilson Bridge Rd. not that long ago to where it currently ends at Hills Market, so it may just be an issue of raising the additional funds necessary to finish the northbound expansion. I’ve seen mention on maps and websites that this extention is still planned. I hope someone can tell us its coming soon.

goldenidea
    Participant

A bridge connecting High Banks to the Olentangy Trail would be a MAJOR IMPROVMENT. It’s hard to ride north of Hills Market as things are. It would give a lot cyclists and other trail users access to High Banks. Let’s make it happen!

M.O.
    Participant

I was talking with a ranger at High Banks a few years ago and she said there were plans to connect the Worthington Hills trailhead to the park. I haven’t seen any timeline on the Greenway site, but the graphic at the bottom of this link shows the magic connector (dotted) we’re looking for.

It looks like the ability to extend the trail in this area may be related to the land swap involving the “wetland” area off Bent Tree and Federated on the NW side. FWIW, there is now a paved loop on the NE quadrant of High Banks, but no sign of construction in the proposed connection area.

Pablo
    Participant

If the river is frozen, you could use this to make the connection to Highbanks:

Analogue Kid
    Participant

This is a no-brainer, but I think it’s just fallen down the list of priorities with Metro Parks working on the Ohio to Erie trail through Battelle Darby Creek.

peterdietz
    Participant

Regarding using an ice cycle to cross the river to the other bank that is the issue, it’s the “High” bank that’s the issue. I would say it’s a 200 feet up rocky cliffy climb.

The connector might be a decent amount of bucks, but it seems like it provides a high bang for your buck. I’ll call it High Banks for your buck.

Pablo
    Participant

Apparently the new State Capital Budget funds the Highbanks Connector.

Ben
    Participant

Woohoo!

whopper jr
    whopper jr
    Participant

This is unbelievably great news. I’m trying to envision some way to float downstream from Highbanks with a bike (and portage around the dams) and then bike back up with boat in tow.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Anyone know if Metroparks has obtained an easement from the Godman Guild/Camp Mary Orton? They will need it unless they plan on making a very long shallow angle bridge.

futureman
    Participant

I thought I read Metro Parks bought the required land to connect the path to Highbanks this past year.

EDIT: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/02/11/Metro-Parks-Olentangy-River-land-purchase.html

The park district will spend $1.1 million to buy the land in northern Franklin County from the Keith Urban trust to expand Highbanks Metro Park and develop the Olentangy Greenway Trail northward.

Metro Parks has applied for a Clean Ohio Fund Open Space Grant for as much as $832,500. It also has applied for $2 million in state capital funding for trail and land acquisition, part of which could help pay for this, said John O’Meara, Metro Parks executive director.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

is there any discussion of connecting the bike trail at North Broadway?

Having the trail dead end at Clinton-Como park and then meander onto surface streets is dangerous, the trail then picks back up at Northmoor Park. Anyone know if there are plans for land acquistion at North Broadway?

DouginCMH
    Participant

is there any discussion of connecting the bike trail at North Broadway?

Having the trail dead end at Clinton-Como park and then meander onto surface streets is dangerous, the trail then picks back up at Northmoor Park. Anyone know if there are plans for land acquistion at North Broadway?

I wish I had answer for you. I fully agree that the current set-up is dangerous.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: