Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Commuting in Ohio Better than US Average

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Commuting in Ohio Better than US Average

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Dotson

I would never live over maybe 15 minutes from my job. It really boggles my mind why people choose to do this.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    Unless all you want to do is get home. Then you loose by being stuck in worse traffic, but at least you’d have places you’ll never visit / spend money in to look at or something.

You’ll never go Downtown regardless, so there’s really no difference.

Still a win-win!

Dotson

Also, earlier today I was trying to manipulate this data on the US census website to show for ALL MSA’s (or at least the top 250 or so) what % of the population in that MSA commuted via public transit. I wanted to do this to support an argument at work, but I could not figure out what I was doing. I could do it on a state basis, or the whole country, but not by MSA. Anyone have this data?

Patch
    Participant

Dotson said:
    Also, earlier today I was trying to manipulate this data on the US census website to show for ALL MSA’s (or at least the top 250 or so) what % of the population in that MSA commuted via public transit. I wanted to do this to support an argument at work, but I could not figure out what I was doing. I could do it on a state basis, or the whole country, but not by MSA. Anyone have this data?

This is the best I could find, slides 8 & 9.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/acs-15.pdf

Dotson

Patch said:
    This is the best I could find, slides 8 & 9.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/acs-15.pdf

I saw something like that as well, but it is for the old numbers, not the newer ones. I wanted to see how it changed over the past couple years.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    You’ll never go Downtown regardless, so there’s really no difference.

Still a win-win!

HA! Drive through downtown daily, stopping for work. If you mean “spend money”, then sure, outside of the occasional coffee. $5 a month isn’t going to make any difference to anyone.

News
    Participant

Commuting in the U.S. is hellish — but at least it’s not getting worse
    Posted by Brad Plumer on March 5, 2013 at 12:00 pm

The average commuter in the United States travels about 25 miles each way to work. But that’s an average. And as a new Census report details, the average can obscure a lot of seriously grueling commutes. About 1.7 million Americans have “extreme” commutes that take 90 minutes or more each way. About 2.2 million workers have “long-distance” commutes that span at least 50 miles in each direction.

READ MORE: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/03/05/commuting-in-the-u-s-is-long-and-hellish-but-at-least-it-hasnt-gotten-worse/

News
    Participant
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Drove from Downtown to Sawmill Road yesterday at 5pm. Took over an hour. Ugh. Glad I don’t have to do that every day.

/mini-rant

RedStorm
    Participant

Walker said:
    Drove from Downtown to Sawmill Road yesterday at 5pm. Took over an hour. Ugh. Glad I don’t have to do that every day.

/mini-rant

Which ramp did you get on downtown?

I take 315N from Goodale – that needs absolutely re-visited. They put in some stupid Red Light/Green Light at the end of the ramp to try to alleviate merging onto 315. All that does is back up traffic all the way to Vine and Neil. It’s ridiculous. AND most of the time, there really isn’t a bunch of oncoming traffic to merge with. I’d like to know actually how to contact the appropriate authorities because it easily adds 15 minutes just to get on to 315 at Goodale.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

RedStorm said:
    Which ramp did you get on downtown?

That one.

Which was only the first part of the problem. 315 turned into a stop-and-go crawl just after Riverside and it took 20 minute to crawl up to 161. Then 161 was a 20 minute crawl to Sawmill. Sawmill was surprisingly easy going.

RedStorm
    Participant

Walker said:
    That one.

Which was only the first part of the problem. 315 turned into a stop-and-go crawl just after Riverside and it took 20 minute to crawl up to 161. Then 161 was a 20 minute crawl to Sawmill. Sawmill was surprisingly easy going.

315 South from 7:30-8:30 is the same as 315 North from 4:30-6. Crawling, and maybe you’ll get up to 45 mph for a few seconds.

Surprised to hear that about Sawmill. I can remember that ramp (from 270 West) taking forever.

maveric1
    Participant

Should have just taken Riverside. Scenic and probably less traffic. Although it does get a bit congested at Fishinger and Hayden Run during rush hours but not nearly as bad as 315N during evening rush hour.

News
    Participant

Your Long Commute May Be Hurting Your Marriage
    ERIC JAFFE
    AUG 09, 2013

Another day, another drawback of a long commute. Aside from their ability to bring us to higher-paying jobs, lengthy trips to work offer very few beneficial side effects. Our stress levels go up, our sleep levels go down, and our interactions with friends and family go scarce. And now it seems our marriages — or, at least, our committed partnerships — can go awry, too.

READ MORE: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2013/08/your-long-commute-may-be-hurting-your-marriage/6483/

News
    Participant

OCTOBER 28, 2013
    Commuting’s Hidden Cost
    By JANE E. BRODY

My twin grandsons, now 13, walk nearly a mile to and from school and play basketball in the schoolyard for an hour or more most afternoons, when weather and music lessons permit. The boys, like their father, are lean, strong and healthy. Their parents chose to live in New York, where their legs and public transit enable them to go from place to place efficiently, at low cost and with little stress (usually). They own a car but use it almost exclusively for vacations.

READ MORE: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/28/commutings-hidden-cost/?_r=0

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO