Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Commuting in Ohio Better than US Average

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Commuting in Ohio Better than US Average

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Commutes In Ohio’s Counties Better Than US Average

Tuesday March 5, 2013 2:45 AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – This might make the morning commute go a little smoother. A new report from the U.S. Census Bureau says that the typical commute to work for those living in Ohio’s three biggest counties is less than national average of 25 and a half minutes.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/03/05/oh–census-ohio-commuters.html

johnwirtz
    Participant

I think ease of commuting is inversely related to the state of the economy in a place.

Patch
    Participant

News said:
    Commutes In Ohio’s Counties Better Than US Average
    Tuesday March 5, 2013 2:45 AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – This might make the morning commute go a little smoother. A new report from the U.S. Census Bureau says that the typical commute to work for those living in Ohio’s three biggest counties is less than national average of 25 and a half minutes.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/03/05/oh–census-ohio-commuters.html

yeah, my commute is only 18 minutes.

you can pretty much get anywhere in the Columbus Area in 25 minutes.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

johnwirtz said:
    I think ease of commuting is inversely related to the state of the economy in a place.

To an extent. Columbus has a pretty healthy economy while other parts of the state struggle, and this report from the US Census is a state-wide thing, so it doesn’t pinpoint the issue too specifically as it relates to economic wellness.

This is probably just a banging of the same old drum, I will say that ease of commuting is certainly tied to the immediate vibrancy of a place. Whenever I travel, I try to take mental note of infrastructure details, and I’m always amazed at the relative narrowness of streets compared to denser building heights. Much of San Francisco, DC and Pittsburgh (to name a few cities) have narrower roads in their Downtown areas and taller buildings with few surface lots. In Downtown Columbus we have quite a few 4-lane or 5-lane one-way roads that run through area that are filled with surface parking lots. It’s really easy and quick to drive through, and there’s absolutely no reason to stop because of it.

But yeah… hooray for getting home from work 60 seconds faster than you would in another city!

Patch said:
    yeah, my commute is only 18 minutes.

you can pretty much get anywhere in the Columbus Area in 25 minutes.

Definitely agree. It is liberating after living in cities where it can take an hour to get 5 miles. It has only happened to me here a few times, mostly because of rubberneckers at the accident scene, freeway closures during presidential visits, or new road construction.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    It’s really easy and quick to drive through, and there’s absolutely no reason to stop because of it.

Sounds like driving through downtown / ote, although “no reason to stop” has more to do with downtown / ote.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    Sounds like driving through downtown / ote, although “no reason to stop” has more to do with downtown / ote.

Right, because so much of it was torn down for parking lots to accomodate those cars coming and going. Narrowing the roads and filling in the parking lots with development will fix the issue.

Win-win for everyone.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    Right, because so much of it was torn down for parking lots to accomodate those cars coming and going. Narrowing the roads and filling in the parking lots with development will fix the issue.

Win-win for everyone.

Unless all you want to do is get home. Then you loose by being stuck in worse traffic, but at least you’d have places you’ll never visit / spend money in to look at or something.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Rus, your favorite part of town, Brice Road, already exists. Focus your efforts there.

myliftkk
    Participant

There’s a lot of reasons why it’s faster to move around Columbus than similar metros. For one ODOT has better engineers.

Take Central FL for example. Highways here are actually highways, they aren’t broken up by curb cuts and enormous intersections every 200 yards or so. In Orlando, every green light signals a .25mi race to the next light given how poorly they are timed. The best maintained highways there are the toll roads, because so few people pay to use them, and them being highly inconvenient to boot. Only there can I spend a 1/2hr attempting to go about 2mi between destinations. Even High St. at the worst of Gallery Hop is an improvement to rush hour pretty much anywhere there. You could turn most of downtown into 2-way streets and it’d still beat the hell out of most cities because the major highways are done right.

From my central location, I can be almost anywhere in Columbus at a rate of approx 1mi/1min, and on top of that stress free to boot.

rus
    rus
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    Rus, your favorite part of town, Brice Road, already exists. Focus your efforts there.

Some strip mall nonsense selling used video games or something? Thought those places all went under. Then again, I can’t recall ever being on Brice.

bucki12

rus said:

I used to live near downtown in the KLD. The sea of parking lots was the worst part, it made everything seem a lot more disconnected than it geographically was. That said, getting anywhere in the city by car from there was a breeze.

rus
    rus
    Participant

bucki12 said:
    I used to live near downtown in the KLD. The sea of parking lots was the worst part, it made everything seem a lot more disconnected than it geographically was.

It is a weird area. I don’t know if the parking lots do that; just going down Long each block almost has a different feel to it. The boarded up and/or collapsing buildings all over the place don’t seem to help either, although a lot more of those are on the other side of Broad.

geoyui
    Participant

Here’s a link to an interactive map to see the average commute times across the US. This map is based off a study in 2011.

Interactive: Compare Your Commute To The Nation’s Longest

mrmann

http://money.cnn.com/2013/03/05/news/economy/megacommutes/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

600,000 Americans have ‘megacommutes’ of over 90 minutes

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
    Think your commute is bad? Try being one of the 600,000 Americans who travel more than 90 minutes each way over a distance of at least 50 miles to get to work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO