Our City Online

Messageboard - Columbus Festivals

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

ComFest 2011

Home Forums Events Columbus Festivals ComFest 2011

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 120 total)
  • Author

bldng4jstc
    Participant

Coy wrote >>

bldng4jstc wrote >>

Coy wrote >>
    Hmmm… I’m 99% sure no one from the music committee ever came out to see my band.
    Whatever the case, evidently a local nonprofit band soon to have a 4th album of original music and $10,000+ donated to local food pantries in 3 years is not “community” enough for Comfest.
    (And I’ve played Comfest before with a shittier band…)
    Have a great fest, y’all. We’ll be playin’ in Dublin on Friday and Grandview on Saturday.
    Any volunteering I’m doing will be with Columbus KTC and Global Gallery directly.
    http://www.billytwoshoes.com/

I cannot speak to all instances, but I thought most bands Applied to play at comfest? Comfest is a huge success put on by too few serious volunteers, so get off your ivory tower and blame yourself if you wanted to play it so bad. If this is about something personal with a committee member or you want to flaunt your ego, take that to topix.

Holy S!$#, guess I pee’d in someone’s cheerios this mornin’.
    I DID apply, and emailed the committee before every gig.
    And having done so, yeah… I’m a little pissed that no one bothered to show up and give us a listen.
    I have been a volunteer, directly with a nonprofit booth for the past four years, and last year at Hot Times main stage as well. And, if you can read before you spout off, I’ve played before as well.
    It’s not about an ego trip for me, its about feeding folks, which is what my band does.
    Considering Comfest’s mission statement, we hoped to partner up this year and have a spot to let the folks who come to Comfest get to know what we do, too, and yeah, sell some records to donate $ to food pantries.
    That doesn’t happen if they don’t bother to come see us.
    I’ve got nothing “personal” against anyone with Comfest.

Sorry to come off so harsh, but I get so tired of hearing people complain about non-profit orgs without explaining there frustration and/or not contacting the org first about the issue. With your full explanation in your reply, I can understand your frustration. Your first post just sounds whiny about not getting picked where you reply shows how not appearing at comfest is lost potential to help people which is the ‘purpose’ comfest is about. Did your app stress this? Does the committee give any reasoning? Have you sent a word to the committee? I’ve only had good experience contacting the people running comfest, but I’ve never dealt with Entertainment Committee. A lack of manpower is often th cause of poor communication.

Again, sorry to be such a jerk, but so many other institutions deserve that level of unexplained scorn.

+1 to the ugly logo

groundrules
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

bastardsuperstar wrote >>
    after a few years of really great ones, man that logo is the ugliest f*ckin’ thing i’ve ever seen. at least since 6th grade study hall.
    that’s a volunteer shirt i’m not gonna be wearing again after the ‘fest . . .

Wow, that’s really awful.

mouth or anus? you decide.

ETA: <thatswhatshesaid>

solpwr
    Participant

bldng4jstc wrote >>

Coy wrote >>

bldng4jstc wrote >>

Coy wrote >>
    Hmmm… I’m 99% sure no one from the music committee ever came out to see my band.
    Whatever the case, evidently a local nonprofit band soon to have a 4th album of original music and $10,000+ donated to local food pantries in 3 years is not “community” enough for Comfest.
    (And I’ve played Comfest before with a shittier band…)
    Have a great fest, y’all. We’ll be playin’ in Dublin on Friday and Grandview on Saturday.
    Any volunteering I’m doing will be with Columbus KTC and Global Gallery directly.
    http://www.billytwoshoes.com/

I cannot speak to all instances, but I thought most bands Applied to play at comfest? Comfest is a huge success put on by too few serious volunteers, so get off your ivory tower and blame yourself if you wanted to play it so bad. If this is about something personal with a committee member or you want to flaunt your ego, take that to topix.

Holy S!$#, guess I pee’d in someone’s cheerios this mornin’.
    I DID apply, and emailed the committee before every gig.
    And having done so, yeah… I’m a little pissed that no one bothered to show up and give us a listen.
    I have been a volunteer, directly with a nonprofit booth for the past four years, and last year at Hot Times main stage as well. And, if you can read before you spout off, I’ve played before as well.
    It’s not about an ego trip for me, its about feeding folks, which is what my band does.
    Considering Comfest’s mission statement, we hoped to partner up this year and have a spot to let the folks who come to Comfest get to know what we do, too, and yeah, sell some records to donate $ to food pantries.
    That doesn’t happen if they don’t bother to come see us.
    I’ve got nothing “personal” against anyone with Comfest.

Sorry to come off so harsh, but I get so tired of hearing people complain about non-profit orgs without explaining there frustration and/or not contacting the org first about the issue. With your full explanation in your reply, I can understand your frustration. Your first post just sounds whiny about not getting picked where you reply shows how not appearing at comfest is lost potential to help people which is the ‘purpose’ comfest is about. Did your app stress this? Does the committee give any reasoning? Have you sent a word to the committee? I’ve only had good experience contacting the people running comfest, but I’ve never dealt with Entertainment Committee. A lack of manpower is often th cause of poor communication.
    Again, sorry to be such a jerk, but so many other institutions deserve that level of unexplained scorn.
    +1 to the ugly logo

Billy Two Shoes. Good midwestern sound.
    http://www.myspace.com/billytwoshoes

cc

It sounds harsh but there is something to Coremodels’s quote from a couple years ago:

“bottom line, the evil committee happens to play a part in putting on the best festival in the city every year. They don’t get rich doing this, they do it because the love the city, the festival, and bust their asses to get it done. In the process, they end up with multiple stages filled with a huge variety of entertainment…and even at that, someone has to be left out.

For all the bands and/or musicians crying because they were that someone, I’d recommend investing in a box of tissues and a dress for next year…and next week…and every other disappointment life is certain to deliver.

wah…motherfucking…wah.”

I guess the message is that these guy’s aren’t getting paid and they really are trying to put on a good show. There are a lot more deserving bands then the schedule permits.

I have listened to Billy Two Shoes and I think it is pretty awesome.

solpwr
    Participant

There is a hidden gem in the program that no one has noticed. I’ll award the first commenter a free ComFest token for their sharp eye.
    http://www.comfest.com

thefiercelime
    Participant

The spirit of Comfest is always to apply and see what happens. Some years you play some years you don’t. Maybe you never play. Any bitching earns you instant demerits and years of bad band karma.

If you don’t play you still volunteer and have a fabulous time. The last year that I didn’t play a couple of years ago was probably my favorite time. I enjoyed a colossal weekend bender, hung out with a million friends, passed out on people’s porches in the morning after afterhour parties, pissed my pants (duh, I’m a professional), met my present girlfriend on Sunday and called off work on Monday.

See you at the offramp. I’ll be volunteering 11am-3pm on Friday. Yay for Comfest.

:)

You will also all be able to checkout the first design from the soon to be unveiled Community Music Jukebox Project (CMJ for short) at the WCRS tent.

We’re putting the finishing touches on the exterior design and the software right now. We’ve begun a small music drive to have some tunes in the box so people can play around with it at Comfest. But more information will be made available soon.

The project was made possible by a Comfest grant from last year. So we’re all very excited to be at this level, and looking forward to the festival.

solpwr
    Participant

The first Solar Stage workshop at ComFest is the ComFest Homecoming Picnic at 11:00am. Joanie Calem “Sing Along and Dance Along” for Families and Children. Joanie has become a good friend and has performed at the Solar Stage for many years.
    http://www.joaniecalem.com/
    After that performance there is a lunch for the kids: pizza, vegetables and health juice drinks with a performance of Shaolin Funk
    and break dancing lessons. We are bussing kids from some day care centers. Bring your kids for the fun and see the whole operation get set up.
    http://www.myspace.com/shaolinfunkcrew
    Volunteer!
    This year also Clean Up and Recycling is setting up family volunteers to staff the recycling stations. We are asking the revelers to go to stations where everything is separated. This helps the C&R dispose of the waste without having to pick in it. The kids get to boss the adults and ask them to separate the trash. They love it. Only two hour shifts. BYOB is such a challenge. Less people bring, the better.
    Ok… the ante is up. Two ComFest token for the first correct commenter to find the gem in the program. http://www.comfest.com Read…or do I have to give a clue?
    Don’t forget to volunteer!

Anonymous
    Inactive

The word Gem?
    I’m not really lacking for beer, I just like a challenge…
    Information Station …. Sapphire ………………… Gems of What You Want to Know

solpwr
    Participant

0Angle wrote >>
    The word Gem?
    I’m not really lacking for beer, I just like a challenge…
    Information Station …. Sapphire ………………… Gems of What You Want to Know

First act is to read.
    Program seems to be in the thread.
    Gem is merely a metaphor.
    http://www.comfest.com
    Volunteer.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The program is 64 pages long.

The first person to count up and tell me how many commas are in the program wins a free subscription to Columbus Underground. ;)

solpwr
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    The first person to count up and tell me how many commas are in the program wins a free subscription to Columbus Underground. ;)

Can I buy a fishboat with that subsciption?

chrisat4th

someone start the .. wha??? Cops wont let you bring your own beer this year?? no way! thread.

+1 yay!

solpwr
    Participant

BYOB is such a challenge. Maybe going to a free festival, one could haul out their own trash. But consuming at a festival can be self contained. The sales that ComFest makes is from beverage and street sales. No corporate sponsors. All Volunteer. http://www.comfest.com
    ComFest is the Arts Festival of Columbus and fills for the Taste of Columbus with the Community Foods.

cc

solpwr wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

Can I buy a fishboat with that subsciption?

You certainly are trying to sell one…at Walker’s expense. Seems a bit inappropriate not to consider your host.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 120 total)

The forum ‘Columbus Festivals’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: