Our City Online

Messageboard - Columbus Festivals

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

ComFest 2011

Home Forums Events Columbus Festivals ComFest 2011

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 120 total)
  • Author

AngelaMotorman
    Participant

The schedule for ComFest 2011 is available NOW as part of the Community Festival Program Guide emag link below. Advance copies of the print edition are distributed to libraries, community centers and retail businesses that support the Program Guide through advertising.

It’s a lot more than just “band schedules”.

The 64-page annual Program Guide showcases ComFest’s many programs beyond entertainment.The full schedules include educational workshops, hands-on demonstrations and KiDSART activities.The Guide announces which community groups were awarded annual grants for what projects, and explain ComFest’s roots and mission.

The Guide spotlights honored artists, activists and community organizations as well as the nearly 1,800 volunteers it takes to produce the fest. It also is a reference tool for finding programs onsite, and finding names of bands, vendors, advertisers and supporters afterward. It reflects and embodies an entire year’s worth of work. It’s a yearbook, capturing the zeitgeist with campaigns for a better world and memorials for friends who have died since last year. It’s a keepsake, but not ephemeral. It’s something built to last.

Here it is online in emag format:

http://comfest.com/program-guide.php

Hard copy advance copies later this week.

http://comfest.com/volunteering.php

Sign up to volunteer for Program Committee and help distribute the Program Guide during ComFest. It’s the best gig of all!

ETA Logo:

picture-21.png

patient_zero
    Participant

Jim Maneri’s Flypaper Friday night!

DSCN3163

Coy
    Participant

Hmmm… I’m 99% sure no one from the music committee ever came out to see my band.
    Whatever the case, evidently a local nonprofit band soon to have a 4th album of original music and $10,000+ donated to local food pantries in 3 years is not “community” enough for Comfest.
    (And I’ve played Comfest before with a shittier band…)

Have a great fest, y’all. We’ll be playin’ in Dublin on Friday and Grandview on Saturday.
    Any volunteering I’m doing will be with Columbus KTC and Global Gallery directly.

http://www.billytwoshoes.com/

bldng4jstc
    Participant

Coy wrote >>
    Hmmm… I’m 99% sure no one from the music committee ever came out to see my band.
    Whatever the case, evidently a local nonprofit band soon to have a 4th album of original music and $10,000+ donated to local food pantries in 3 years is not “community” enough for Comfest.
    Have a great fest, y’all. We’ll be playin’ in Dublin on Friday and Grandview on Saturday.
    Any volunteering I’m doing will be with Columbus KTC and Global Gallery directly.

I cannot speak to all instances, but I thought most bands Applied to play at comfest? Comfest is a huge success put on by too few serious volunteers, so get off your ivory tower and blame yourself if you wanted to play it so bad. If this is about something personal with a committee member or you want to flaunt your ego, take that to topix.

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

after a few years of really great ones, man that logo is the ugliest f*ckin’ thing i’ve ever seen. at least since 6th grade study hall.

that’s a volunteer shirt i’m not gonna be wearing again after the ‘fest . . .

Coy
    Participant

bldng4jstc wrote >>

Coy wrote >>

I cannot speak to all instances, but I thought most bands Applied to play at comfest? Comfest is a huge success put on by too few serious volunteers, so get off your ivory tower and blame yourself if you wanted to play it so bad. If this is about something personal with a committee member or you want to flaunt your ego, take that to topix.

Holy S!$#, guess I pee’d in someone’s cheerios this mornin’.
    I DID apply, and emailed the committee before every gig.
    And having done so, yeah… I’m a little pissed that no one bothered to show up and give us a listen.
    I have been a volunteer, directly with a nonprofit booth for the past four years, and last year at Hot Times main stage as well. And, if you can read before you spout off, I’ve played before as well.

It’s not about an ego trip for me, its about feeding folks, which is what my band does.
    Considering Comfest’s mission statement, we hoped to partner up this year and have a spot to let the folks who come to Comfest get to know what we do, too, and yeah, sell some records to donate $ to food pantries.
    That doesn’t happen if they don’t bother to come see us.
    I’ve got nothing “personal” against anyone with Comfest.

Coy
    Participant

I do, however, have something personal against that shirt design.

cbus11

Teter article on bruised ego/whiny rocker syndrome due to comfest’s nonobjective and unapologetic approach to picking bands.

http://www.theotherpaper.com/news/article_a8805bde-65a0-5606-9275-1d531268d0b8.html

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

People go to Comfest for the music?

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I really hope that next year they consider cutting paper waste and make a schedule that can be viewed on a smartphone. I don’t really need that smeary, inky, “keepsake” I like trees better. That flipbook schedule is even a PITA to read on a regular computer.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

That said, I am ready for my fish boat now! :)

solpwr
    Participant

cbus11 wrote >>
    Teter article on bruised ego/whiny rocker syndrome due to comfest’s nonobjective and unapologetic approach to picking bands.
    http://www.theotherpaper.com/news/article_a8805bde-65a0-5606-9275-1d531268d0b8.html

I remember the article in 2008. There are a lot of applicants and I’m sure some get missed.
    But in case you have not noticed, there is more diversity and content on all the stages. There are 30 minute speakers on all the stages everyday and 5 and 10 minutes spots for community orgs or workshop presenters to invite participants to their kiosks or workshop presentations at the Solar Stage, Healing Tent or the Shelterhouse. There is also children programs such as music by Joanie Calem and breakdancing lessons for kids by Shaolin Funk and Endless Recess at OffRamp and Children Music Network with Leslie Zak. There are some adolescent performers such as Supernova (Rain Maxwell).
    Look at the workshops at the Solar Stage. Industrial Hemp, a CEU one hour workshop for architects,a Community Forum, a Women Forum, Community and Backyard Gardens Forum, Repeal SB5 workshop with local union reps including the FOP,a competitive Eco Poetry contest where participants write a poem on the site, the Free Press ComFest Saturday Salon, a Free Clinic discussion of free facilities for people in need, local Vegan entreprenaurs, local nuclear activist and writer Harvey Wasserman speaking about his Solartopian vision and Peacemakers that practice their nonviolent strategies across the nation and world.
    That is just a small part of the content at ComFest 2011. Volunteer and get some tokens for food and drink and a tshirt unique to volunteers only.
    Keep your grudges at home. ComFest is a peace zone.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

*peace zone subject to random searches.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

someone start the .. wha??? Cops wont let you bring your own beer this year?? no way! thread.

Cookie

bastardsuperstar wrote >>
    after a few years of really great ones, man that logo is the ugliest f*ckin’ thing i’ve ever seen. at least since 6th grade study hall.
    that’s a volunteer shirt i’m not gonna be wearing again after the ‘fest . . .

Wow, that’s really awful.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 120 total)

The forum ‘Columbus Festivals’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: