Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Commonwealth - Sandwich Bar

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Commonwealth – Sandwich Bar

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

myliftkk
    Participant

1437 N High (right next to the Village Idiot). Anyone know anything about this place? I drove by and couldn’t tell if it was open yet or not.

cbuster

I think they are open, they have a facebook page;

http://www.facebook.com/commonwealthsandwich

looks promising

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Here is some more information from a press release:
    New Foodie Destination Bridging the Gap between the Short North & Campus Gateway

Commonwealth Sandwich Bar, located at 1437 N. High Street, the new sandwich shop of Lisa Edge and Erik Till is set to open its doors on March 16th for a soft opening. Commonwealth showcases a line up of playfully gourmet sandwiches and side dishes. Focus will be on their house- cured meats and artisan ingredients Preparation and attention to detail is that of what is usually left to fine dining establishments. Commonwealth is in part reactionary, catering to a market that has little to offer for quick, affordable, take out friendly, gourmet fare. Showcasing an easily approachable menu in the 7 to 12 dollar range, they will also offer small batch, natural ingredient, cane sugar sodas.
    The interior of Commonwealth is as design focused as the menu is ingredient focused, with distressed brick walls, iridescent concrete counters, and carbon filament lighting. The room itself creates its own distinct atmosphere. The wall are adorned with artwork by local artist Nick Stull and will rotated every few months.
    A taste of whats to come…..
    Starters & Sides –
    Sweet potato fries + chipotle aioli
    Regular fries + béchamel
    (All fries sold by the pound)

The Goods-Sandwiches-
    Sweet & Savory
    Roast chicken + house cured bacon + caramel fig compote + Swiss-

The Three Little Pigs
    Smoked pork shoulder + house cured bacon+ ham + pickled onion + fried egg + port wine bbq sauce

Elvis Lives
    (Young Elvis) spicy coconut spiked peanut butter + sweet cream cheese + bananas
    (Old Elvis) spicy coconut spiked peanut butter + sweet cream cheese + bananas + house cured bacon

Saturday 6 AM
    Bacon + fried egg + cheddar + Swiss + port wine bbq = Battered and deep fried

Urban Cowboy
    Smoked pork shoulder + pickled onions + tomato + bacon + port wine bbq + Gorgonzola

Grand Opening- April 14th

http://www.Commonwealthsandwichbar.com

Commonwealth Sandwich Bar is Officially OPEN!!

Mon-Wed 11AM-10PM
    Thur-Fri 11AM-12AM
    Sat 5PM-12AM
    Sunday Closed

We also have a order/pick up window connected to the Village Idiot -everyday starting at 5PM

Check us out on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/commonwealthsandwich

zp945
    Participant

^ Good luck to you! I can’t wait to check it out, it all sounds delicious. I’m happy to see people expanding into the south of campus north of the short north area. I’ll be there soon.

bustowner
    Participant

Tried it this weekend. Really, REALLY good!

AmyJ
    Participant

It sounds so delicious!

anillo
    Participant

Can’t wait to try this! I live dangerously close so if it’s as good as it sounds I might end up eating a lot of their sandwiches in the future..

cyclist II
    Participant

do they make the Hammond Cheese Sandwich?

I had lunch today at Commonwealth – I had the exact feeling you get when you fly and get upgraded to First Class, or stay at a hotel and get upgraded to a suite – you want to call everyone you know and invite them along! Everything about the food and experience were so well done – and presented in cozy, comfortable, stylish space. This food is absolutely fantastic and the people working to make it all happen offer genuine hospitality. Get yourself there- you deserve the upgrade from a regular sandwich and fries place to this one.

drew
    Participant

Miss Jackson wrote >>
    I had lunch today at Commonwealth – I had the exact feeling you get when you fly and get upgraded to First Class, or stay at a hotel and get upgraded to a suite

I’ve been reluctant to say it, but I had almost the exact opposite reaction.

There are a lot of great intentions and interesting ideas going on at Commonwealth, but the kitchen’s ability to execute them was unfortunately not in evidence on my visit.

I’m really hoping they can get things sorted out – I’m all kinds of behind what they’re trying to do, but I couldn’t envision going back for more of what I ate the first time.

drew wrote >>

Miss Jackson wrote >>
    I had lunch today at Commonwealth – I had the exact feeling you get when you fly and get upgraded to First Class, or stay at a hotel and get upgraded to a suite

I’ve been reluctant to say it, but I had almost the exact opposite reaction.
    There are a lot of great intentions and interesting ideas going on at Commonwealth, but the kitchen’s ability to execute them was unfortunately not in evidence on my visit.
    I’m really hoping they can get things sorted out – I’m all kinds of behind what they’re trying to do, but I couldn’t envision going back for more of what I ate the first time.

I agree completely – both in really liking the intentions and ambitions and in being disappointed in the execution . I will also add that everything was massively over-salted.

A.

I would be curious to know how they reacted when you told them your food was disappointing and “massively over-salted.” Opening a restaurant is a huge personal and professional undertaking – direct feedback at the time of your experience is key to allowing the operator to understand the problem and make adjustments. It makes a big difference in their ability to satisfy guests – and to succeed as an independent in a world of chains.

drew
    Participant

Miss Jackson wrote >>
    I would be curious to know how they reacted when you told them your food was disappointing and “massively over-salted.” Opening a restaurant is a huge personal and professional undertaking – direct feedback at the time of your experience is key to allowing the operator to understand the problem and make adjustments. It makes a big difference in their ability to satisfy guests – and to succeed as an independent in a world of chains.

I hear you, and basically agree with the sentiment. Unfortunately, when dealing with a takeout situation it’s hard to provide direct feedback since you eat after you’ve left the premises.

Am I wrong in assuming that you’re associated with Commonwealth? If you are connected to them, PM me and I’ll respond to you with my complete feedback.

Bear
    Participant

drew wrote >>

Miss Jackson wrote >>

I hear you, and basically agree with the sentiment. Unfortunately, when dealing with a takeout situation it’s hard to provide direct feedback since you eat after you’ve left the premises.
    Am I wrong in assuming that you’re associated with Commonwealth? If you are connected to them, PM me and I’ll respond to you with my complete feedback.

In any event, we’re all remiss in not adding, welcome to CU.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: