Our City Online

Messageboard - Film

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Commission Wants More Movies Filmed in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Film Commission Wants More Movies Filmed in Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The Greater Columbus Film Commission launched a new website on Monday (http://www.filmcolumbus.com) in the hopes of attracting more hollywood and new york film-makers to come and shoot their projects in central Ohio. A great idea, which I support wholeheartedly, but perhaps a flashier website should be in order when trying to attract the artsy-types, no?

The Ohio Film Commission shut down in 2002, so having an individual Columbus commission should be a great asset for the region.

Sounds good to me. Traffic was shot in Columbus, for like 3 seconds…

Neil Jaye

This is awesome!! It’s about time. As an amateur screenwriter, film buff, and someone who has taken enough film courses in college to earn a film concentration — not quite a minor — it would be great to see some major films produced here in town. I fill Columbus’ strength lie in its lack of truly distinctive features. Many parts of the city can easily double for other parts of the country. Many local suburbs could double as suburban Chicago, parts of German Village could pass for parts of Georgetown (DC), etc.

I REALLY hope this works out.

brothermarcus
    Participant

i was a hired grunt on Speak, the movie they use as an example on the main page… woot! I hope more non-commercial stuff can come into columbus, it’d be nice to see some crews working around town on features.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

newsnet5.com wrote Ohio Wants More Action For Making Films In State

POSTED: 7:46 pm EDT May 28, 2007

CLEVELAND — State development officials and moviemaking groups want more action when it comes to persuading filmmakers to shoot in Ohio.

After the state eliminated the Ohio Film Commission in 2002 to save money, the Development Department is trying to establish a state film office that would help market shooting locations from Lake Erie to the Ohio River.

And a lawmaker is pushing again for legislation to offer tax incentives to people who invest in major productions shot in the state, which would add Ohio to 43 other states that offer financial lures.

The old film commission, created in 1976 to lobby filmmakers and scout locations, was credited with generating $134 million for the state in its lifetime. Scenes for movies such as “Major League,” “The Shawshank Redemption” and “Spider-Man 3” are among those with shoots in the state over the years.

READ MORE

mrblue1022

As a Columbus-based filmmaker looking talking to local investors, I would love to be able to shoot in Columbus, but the bottom line is that with the tax incentives offered by states like Wisconsin and New Mexico it’s insane not to shoot out of state. People like Rich Levin need to learn that these incentives can bring tens of millions of dollars in new business to the state every year which not only create new jobs but also boost tax income for the state.

John Ross

I did an interview with the commission’s executive director Gail Mesey several weeks ago, and she seemed really ambitious, intelligent. [url=http://www.columbusalive.com/?sec=search&story=columbusalive/2007/0419/u-local.html]More[/url]

One interesting point: She said that most people want to make indie feature films, but that doing less exciting commercial work can help fund other projects and build a crew base in areas outside of NY or LA.

Also, if people want this to happen, they need to petition the state government to push tax breaks for the film industry. Without shelters, there is no incentive to film in Ohio.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Gail’s an extremely capable woman I’ve worked with a lot over the years when she was still at Mills James. This could be a huge boon to the city, as it was to Pittsburgh 8-10 years or so ago when they made a large push for it.

BTW, here’s what I mean about Pittsburgh…look at the jump made in the 80’s, 90’s up to today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_and_television_shows_shot_in_Pittsburgh

Ndcent

Jenny and I film movies in Columbus all the time.

Bow-chicabowwwowww. :lol:

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Business First of Columsbus wrote State sees bright lights in film work

Business First of Columbus – July 13, 2007

by Jeff Bell

State Sen. Patricia Clancy doesn’t have stars in her eyes when it comes to the future of the video and film production industry in Ohio.

Though the glitz from an occasional big-budget movie being filmed in Ohio is appealing, the Cincinnati Republican thinks it may be more practical for the state to concentrate on promoting the commercial side of the video production business.

READ MORE

MikeReed
    Participant

*whew*

we love commissions, committees, meetings and organizations.

gramarye
    Participant

Everyone always dumps on committees and commissions and meetings, but then also dumps on people who try to run roughshod over everyone else without including them in the process (corporate decisionmaking process, democratic process, whatever).

Sometimes the wheels turning slowly are just a side effect of having everyone on board.

MikeReed
    Participant

We need a commission Commission.

That one is subtle… check the case.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The 270 wrote Film fundraiser, could we do this in Columbus?

By wyliemac | July 5, 2007

Last fall I was in Carmel, California. While there I picked up a copy of Carmel Magazine. In it was the story of the film “Where’s Marty?” Where’s Marty? is no ordinary film. Instead of paying the actors and crew members, the producers charged them for their time and efforts. That’s because the film also doubled as a fundraising effort. The story centers around two tourist who are brought together by Marty, a mysterious travel agent and arc-angel. Throughout the movie, Marty takes the lovers to locales like Fisherman’s Wharf, Point Lobos and Oldtown Salinas. The film will be shown in local hotel rooms to lure tourists to the sites in the film.

READ MORE

Columbusite wrote >>
    Sounds good to me. Traffic was shot in Columbus, for like 3 seconds…

Traffic was filmed in Cincinnati like most of the major films shot in Ohio. Why would anyone ever shoot anything in columbus when you have cities like Cleveland and Cincinnati that are bulging at the seams with character and charm? I can’t think of any “major” movies that have ever been shot here in columbus.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘Film’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: