Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Misc Redevelopment in Olde Towne East

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Misc Redevelopment in Olde Towne East

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

There is a commercial property at 1102 to 1112 (at the north east corner of Oak and Ohio) that was recently sold. This property has been sitting vacant for a long, long time.

It was purchased by Hobbsey 14 LLC, a newly formed entity owned by Edward B Hobbs. Mr. Hobbs also purchased the adjacent property at 119 South Ohio (her purchased this property in his own name along with a co-owner, Krista R. Sparks).

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

ohiosfinest28
    Participant

Any details on what they are planning there?

Pro Se
    Participant

Very exciting news! These are the guys who own The Tavern, Cornerstone and their new downtown bar (name escapes me). They have an excellent track record so I can only think good things are in store. At $70,000, they got all three parcels for a song!

somebuckeye
    somebuckeye
    Participant

Awesome! That’s a really cool property, and a huge amount of space. Anything similar to Tavern or Cornerstone would be aces.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Looking into it! Details coming! ;)

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

The property at 119 South Ohio transferred in a different transaction; the auditor’s site says it sold for $180,000 on August 18, 2014. This house is adjacent to the three lots at 1092 – 1096 Oak, 1098 – 1100 Oak and 1102-1112 Oak. These lots were transferred in the same transaction in November 2014 for $70,000. The two properties were owned by the same owner prior to the sale. There is a third property within a block. I hope it sells soon because it is a real eye-sore.

News
    Participant

Historic Oak Street Building To See Retail and Apartment Renovation
    December 22, 2014 1:56 pm – Walker Evans

A prominently located vacant building at the northwest corner of Oak Street and Ohio Avenue is slated to get a new lease on life thanks to a plan from new owners (and Olde Towne East residents) Brad Hobbs and Krista Sparks. The husband-and-wife duo have been contributing to the rebirth of Oak Street for several years now, first with the launch of The Olde Towne Tavern, and later with the opening of the Corner Stone Carry Out, but their plans for this new project calls for rehab and not retail.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/historic-oak-street-building-to-see-retail-and-apartment-renovation

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Here is more information about the owners and the good they are doing.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/2012/05/15/tabletalk.html

heresthecasey
    Participant

Looks like there’s another retail/residential project on tap further down Oak St at Wilson.

The owner filed plans with the city in December for a two-story new build on the vacant lot at the SE corner, and for a renovation of the existing derelict two-story building next door.

Great to see more activity happening in the area, and development continuing to move further East.

http://columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=75696

christylwilliams
    Participant

Wow… If you were to ask me last year about my ideal development for that corner at Oak/Wilson, it would have mirrored this guy’s proposal almost exactly. I’m pleased to see developers willing to take a chance on the center of the neighborhood east of Ohio and west of Kelton. But this is an ambitious project from what appears to be a one-guy operation. If he can make it work, I’m sure he’ll be rewarded handsomely with eager tenants vying for restaurant space.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I live right at the corner of Oak/Wilson, and LOVE THIS. Hoping it can somehow shove that shithole of a “market” across the street on Oak out of business. That place is a nightmare.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Great to see/hear about this. OTE is already a pretty great residential neighborhood, but there are far too many empty lot corners like this one sprinkled all throughout the area. It would be great to see many more of them filled in with additions like this one that can add more corner-stores, restaurants and small retail pockets throughout.

GeeDee
    Participant

I look forward to good things being done with the building on Ohio & Oak. It’s been quite the eyesore for awhile. However, I hope the new owners have a LOT of money for renovation. That building is an absolute mess inside.

I wonder if they bought the vacant lot across the street, too? It was for sale for awhile for like $10K. I’m not sure if it still is for sale (feeling too lazy to look it up).

News
    Participant

Renovation and New-Build Proposed for Corner of Oak and Wilson in Olde Towne East
    January 25, 2015 9:03 am – Brent Warren

Plans have been presented to the Near East Area Commission to build a two-story, mixed-use building on a vacant lot at the southeast corner of Oak Street and Wilson Avenue. Before beginning the new construction, though, the developer plans to renovate the dilapidated building next door.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/renovation-and-new-build-proposed-for-corner-of-oak-and-wilson-in-olde-towne-east-bw1

News
    Participant

Historic Bryden Road Building Bought, Apartments Planned
    February 4, 2015 9:34 am – Brent Warren

Another historic Olde Towne East building has been purchased by an owner with preservation and renovation in mind. A prominent three-story building at 738 Bryden Road – which has sat empty for years and at one time served as a dormitory for the Columbus School for Girls – was bought in January by a group of developers hoping to turn it into apartments.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/historic-bryden-road-building-bought-apartments-planned-bw1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE