Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Zoo

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus Zoo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Cyclist

So I went to the zoo today and had a good time. The new Zoombezi Bay looks fun and I really want to go.

Some observations I made at the zoo.

There are lots of strollers and people with kids. This was weird to see so many kids and parents. Weird.

Why do they sell meat at the zoo? Like hamburgers and chicken sandwiches. They give mixed signals. Everywhere there is info about saving endangered animals and species and against the wild animal trade and poaching, but at the same they are selling dead animals to eat. Is it because tigers and rhinos are not commodities and breded as livestock? I don’t know, but the fact that the zoo sells meat pissed me off.

I ate a bucket of fries and mayo. They were gooooood!

The place looks great and is very well kept and landscaped. The theme areas are great and interesting.

I wish the zoo was not out of town like it is.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Cyclist wrote I wish the zoo was not out of town like it is.

Wasn’t there a discussion earlier about a new use for the City Center property? :wink:

Kids at the zoo? Eating HOT DOGS?! What is this world coming to?!

AmyD
    Participant

i would think the thinking on selling animals to eat at the zoo is that they aren’t selling endangered animals, so it’s ok? i wouldn’t eat the ones they sell at the zoo, but to each his own.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

drewtoothpaste wrote Kids at the zoo? Eating HOT DOGS?! What is this world coming to?!

+1

I guess Zach was expecting nothing but bike couriers drinking PBR at the zoo?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

When you work or live in a place that doesn’t see a lot of kids, I can imagine it would be weird.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

There’s nothing weird about having realistic expectations for when you’re going somewhere that exists outside your comfort zone.

1) Kids like the zoo

2) Most people eat meat

Is it really that weird?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Whatever floats his boat.

Mercurius
    Participant

AmyD wrote i would think the thinking on selling animals to eat at the zoo is that they aren’t selling endangered animals, so it’s ok?

Most of the animals there are not endangered, just not indigenous to Ohio (or North America.) There is a since of irony in paying to appreciate seeing animals alive while eating them, but it is our cultural norm. I suppose it’s hard to get kids to eat falafel and chana masala :lol: Just because something is a cultural norm though, doesn’t necessarily mean that when you observe it from a objective stance, it isn’t weird. I say most things humans do are pretty freaking weird. We are one funny species. On that note, Cyclist wasn’t uncomfortable just noting what he saw. (e.g.)

Cyclist wrote So I went to the zoo today and had a good time.

Cyclist wrote There are lots of strollers and people with kids. This was weird to see so many kids and parents. Weird.

Huh? What exactly did you expect? Zoos are primarily for children and families IMHO. Their mission is education, conservation and, ultimately an appreciation for nature to be nurtured in future generations. I think it would be weird to go to the zoo and see nothing but single, aging hipsters. :wink:

Suggestion – next time borrow someone else’s kids (relatives, friends) who may not otherwise have an opportunity to visit the zoo. You will find a renewed sense of wonderment through their eyes. It is exciting to witness young people discovering the world around them. :D

As for meat at the zoo – I think the lions, tigers and bears (oh my!) would go on strike if they were served soy, tofu and sprouts. It is a natural fact that humans evolved as omnnivores, and although the enlightened few may opt for a vegetarian diet, protein in large quantitities is necessary for the development of our oversized brains. As long as they don’t serve endangered animals for lunch, I’m fine with it (even though I always ponder the incongruity when I smell cooking meat while wondering around).

TimFitz

I’ve said it on the board before, but my wife and I have been Zoo members now for 4 years and have no kids. If you want to see the Zoo without a million kids, here’s your most successful times for a visist:

1) When the school year is in session

2) On a weekday

3) After 1 PM

4) The colder the better

*** Disclaimer, this does not include going to Zoolights, which would fit all of the criteria above but is bound to feature families having a night out.

p.s. *** However, the funniest thing about Zoolights is seeing dozens of Dubliners huddling around barrel fires. It’s probably the only appropriate time for rich white people to huddle around barrel fires, except they have these little fences around the barrel fires because rich white people don’t know that you can’t stand too close and not expect your North Face jacket to melt.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Mercurius wrote There is a since of irony in paying to appreciate seeing animals alive while eating them, but it is our cultural norm.

I found a sense of irony in reading about someone getting pissed off about eating meat at the zoo while eating at Rally’s 7 days a week is a perfectly acceptable thing to do.

I like the zoo a lot. I just don’t think Cyclist’s “review” (if you can even call it that) did it any sort of justice.

Still, I congratulate him on his newfound anger.

AmyD
    Participant

having grown up around farms and farmers, i can say that given the chance, a pig would eat you in a second. just saying.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

TimFitz wrote the funniest thing about Zoolights is seeing dozens of Dubliners huddling around barrel fires. It’s probably the only appropriate time for rich white people to huddle around barrel fires, except they have these little fences around the barrel fires because rich white people don’t know that you can’t stand too close and not expect your North Face jacket to melt.

I agree that it’s an amusing sight, but in all fairness I believe the little fences are to prevent little kids from touching the sides of the metal barrels which get dangerously hot.

Matthew
    Participant

I figured we’d hear a little bit about a lack of bike racks at the zoo too. I’m disappointed. :wink:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: