Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Vets Memorial Planned for Scioto Peninsula

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion New Vets Memorial Planned for Scioto Peninsula

This topic contains 282 replies, has 68 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 271 through 283 (of 283 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

If this can function as an event space by night, that would be a tremendous secondary asset in addition to honoring veterans.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Josh Miller wrote:</div>
    It’s an updated design – the outdoor space shown in current and previous renderings is now on the roof of this enclosed structure

I assume having the outdoor space on the roof provides more administrative offices/meeting spaces below?

Yeah, I think I remember hearing it would be a 45,000 sqft space although it would function as only a memorial rather than admin/office space, with a dedicated area to accommodate field trip arrivals for school groups.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

If this can function as an event space by night, that would be a tremendous secondary asset in addition to honoring veterans.

That question was asked by someone on the commission, if the space would be open to other functions in addition to veteran events and the answer was yes.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Josh Miller wrote:</div>
    It’s an updated design – the outdoor space shown in current and previous renderings is now on the roof of this enclosed structure

I assume having the outdoor space on the roof provides more administrative offices/meeting spaces below?

Yeah, I think I remember hearing it would be a 45,000 sqft space although it would function as only a memorial rather than admin/office space, with a dedicated area to accommodate field trip arrivals for school groups.

The Veterans Services offices are relocating (or already have finished… not sure on timeline) back to their old home at 280 E. Broad:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/vets-services-relocating-back-to-memorial-hall

News
    Participant

New Museum Design Approved, Demolition of Old Vets Memorial Set to Begin
    October 24, 2014 9:33 am – Brent Warren

The plan by the Columbus Downtown Development Corporation (CDDC) to remake the Scioto Pennisula took another step forward this week as the Downtown Commission approved the demolition of the existing Vets Memorial auditorium and convention facility at 300 West Broad Street. The commission also approved the latest design for its immediate replacement; an Ohio Veterans Memorial and Museum.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/new-museum-design-approved-demolition-of-old-vets-memorial-set-to-begin-bw1

TomB
    Participant

The shape of the memorial quietly echoes the shape of a dress uniform hat.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Demolition has begun:

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

What a waste of a perfectly good asset.

jbcmh81
    Participant

What a waste of a perfectly good asset.

Yes, if you mean that the land was being wasted by an outdated building that would’ve cost as much to renovate as it will to build new.

KACramer
    KACramer
    Participant

I am not sure I understand the outrage here… Vet Memorial was not a nice looking piece of architecture. It was poorly built 1970s style of architecture. I could understand if it was truly a “historic” structure, but it wasn’t. The original Vets Memorial was located in what is now the Board of Elections building on Broad Street (before that it was the original home of COSI before they moved to their current location).

In recent years, very few large events were really happening here. Large events were now using the Nationwide Arena, the Convention Center, or Schottenstein center. The Arnold was the only large event there, but even that was only one day of a three day event.

The added green space with the riverfront restoration effort is a much better use of space.

KACramer
    KACramer
    Participant

whoops… correction to my last post… The building was built in the mid 1950s. But still… it was built in a time before a lot of modern construction code enforcement was enacted and during the asbestos craze (it was in everything from tiles to walls). But anyway, the building is an example of the Brutalist style of architecture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutalist_architecture) which flourished from 1950 to the late 1970s. Not a fan of this style… the buildings constructed during this period were generally done of the cheap and are not exactly structurally sound… they just weren’t built to last like buildings made just 10 to 20 years before the start of this movement (most buildings built before 1940 for example)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

New photos from 2 days ago…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
Viewing 13 posts - 271 through 283 (of 283 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Got 5 minutes? Please take our 2019 demographic survey and tell us a bit about yourself and share your thoughts on how CU can improve!