Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Vets Memorial Planned for Scioto Peninsula

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion New Vets Memorial Planned for Scioto Peninsula

This topic contains 282 replies, has 68 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 283 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

More importantly, the appeal of a downtown zoo isn’t just about getting visitors to sustain itself. It’s also about developing the area around it. Because this would be more of an “express” zoo, why not visit the zoo then grab lunch or dinner nearby? Or vice versa.

Fortunately for you, the mini-zoo will happen with or without this levy.

South Linden is great. But let’s be real… in terms of attractions, we should be pushing visitors to our downtown core, not outside of it. The faster we can infill, see more people walking the streets, and accelerate retail development, the better we can market Columbus as a great place to live.

Ah, the only good part of Columbus to live in is downtown. Well, no bias there.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>
    Limits with individuals, sure, but we are talking about a citywide or regional draw, both of which continue to add more population and a larger economic pool.

What is a region, in this sense, but a collection of individuals? You’re talking about adding more people to the same area, which is valid, but you must recognize not all patrons to a new venue come from outside the area.

There is a shifting of patrons within an area; otherwise, no restaurants ( for instance ) would ever close for lack of business.

You seemed to be arguing that the collective area has a finite limit on what it can support, and that a zoo expansion would stress those limits and would just serve to take away existing business from the main zoo. I could maybe understand your point if this was a different company building a zoo next door to the other, but that’s not the case. This is a satellite facility of the same business. It’s not much different than a chain restaurant opening multiple locations in the same city. There may at some point be a saturation limit, but considering the main zoo has attracted more and more attendance, that does not seem to be the case here.

Businesses usually close because there are failures with the product or service that no longer meet the needs of their target customers, not because there are jus too many successful versions of the same thing.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CB_downtowner wrote:</div>
    More importantly, the appeal of a downtown zoo isn’t just about getting visitors to sustain itself. It’s also about developing the area around it. Because this would be more of an “express” zoo, why not visit the zoo then grab lunch or dinner nearby? Or vice versa.

Fortunately for you, the mini-zoo will happen with or without this levy.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CB_downtowner wrote:</div>
    South Linden is great. But let’s be real… in terms of attractions, we should be pushing visitors to our downtown core, not outside of it. The faster we can infill, see more people walking the streets, and accelerate retail development, the better we can market Columbus as a great place to live.

Ah, the only good part of Columbus to live in is downtown. Well, no bias there.

You have an interesting way of twisting people’s words around. I am not the only person, downtown resident or not, that wishes the Crew played closer to downtown. Because certain attractions are better suited for a downtown core. And I don’t see any point at all for building a zoo in an area where there currently aren’t aggressive goals for infill, development, and retail boom. Building a zoo in a spot like South Linden is exactly everything you hate about the zoo project. It probably won’t lead to much surrounding development, it draws from a much more similar target consumer as the main zoo, and it’s purely a destination attraction where most people would choose to drive there. And sorry, but I very, very highly doubt it draws more visitors than a downtown zoo can.

Building downtown means you can have surrounding retail/restaurants that benefit from a zoo, it would be built in an area that is in the Columbus 2010 plan and is already in major talks of aggressive development, it pulls from a very different demographic than the main zoo, it significantly helps infill a spot that badly needs it, and it integrates nicely into an area that could make Columbus highly marketable.

rus
    rus
    Participant

There may at some point be a saturation limit, but considering the main zoo has attracted more and more attendance, that does not seem to be the case here.

Think the original point was there’s only so much entertainment spending that occurs. Your ( or whomever’s, really ) point about bringing in outside visitors doesn’t seem completely off, but for those inclined to travel for a zoo experience it seems more likely they’d head for the main zoo rather than a downtown mini-zoo. More zoo there and all.

So if most people who want to see a zoo are heading to the main zoo, who’d be going to the mini-zoo? Likely people headed downtown already, but instead of what they’d go to otherwise they head to the mini-zoo.

jbcmh81
    Participant

There may at some point be a saturation limit, but considering the main zoo has attracted more and more attendance, that does not seem to be the case here.

Think the original point was there’s only so much entertainment spending that occurs. Your ( or whomever’s, really ) point about bringing in outside visitors doesn’t seem completely off, but for those inclined to travel for a zoo experience it seems more likely they’d head for the main zoo rather than a downtown mini-zoo. More zoo there and all.

So if most people who want to see a zoo are heading to the main zoo, who’d be going to the mini-zoo? Likely people headed downtown already, but instead of what they’d go to otherwise they head to the mini-zoo.

Yes, that might be true if Downtown wasn’t already the location of so many events that bring in out of towners, as you acknowledged, which provides at least some built-in customer base to existing or future entertainment options in the area. The expansion would just have to capture enough of those along with a certain number of local visitors. I don’t know how many exactly it would need to be successful, but I don’t think they’d have to rely on out of towners coming there strictly for the expansion. And given that the main zoo and the expansion would offer different experiences, I’m not sure why they’d be in direct competition to begin with.

rus
    rus
    Participant

I don’t know how many exactly it would need to be successful, but I don’t think they’d have to rely on out of towners coming there strictly for the expansion.

I don’t expect many out of towners would head to a mini-zoo, as I said. May suck some entertainment dollars from someone already visiting, but again that’s a diversion from other options just as with the “local visitors” you note.

In the end, no matter if this levy passes or not there will be a mini-zoo, so hopefully there will be some objective measurement of ROI. Doubt it, though.

Still voting “no” on the levy, just to keep things on topic.

jbcmh81
    Participant

I don’t know how many exactly it would need to be successful, but I don’t think they’d have to rely on out of towners coming there strictly for the expansion.

I don’t expect many out of towners would head to a mini-zoo, as I said. May suck some entertainment dollars from someone already visiting, but again that’s a diversion from other options just as with the “local visitors” you note.

In the end, no matter if this levy passes or not there will be a mini-zoo, so hopefully there will be some objective measurement of ROI. Doubt it, though.

Still voting “no” on the levy, just to keep things on topic.

Still sounds like you’re unintentionally making a case for not adding anymore entertainment venues beyond just the expansion.

Maybe, but I don’t think that is 100% certain at this point. Even so, it was pretty much acknowledged that it would not be on the same scale if still built without the levy. I know that wouldn’t bother you, but I fail to see the point of building something that does not and will not match its potential.

Since you don’t take economic impact studies seriously, it would be difficult, if not impossible, to prove to you any ROI. Maybe that is the point.

I don’t think that was in doubt.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Still sounds like you’re unintentionally making a case for not adding anymore entertainment venues beyond just the expansion.

If you see no difference between private competition and taxpayer funded competition, I can’t help you.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

The Zoo seems to be doing very well. I would imagine they will lay out some specific plans of what they would do with double the money they currently get from taxpayers. If not, I have no idea how it could pass. It’s hard enough to get school levies passed, let alone one that hands out so much money to a non-essential and already successful zoo. This money could be much better spent on things that the city is already cutting back on.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Snapped a few photos this morning of the proposed Downtown Zoo site. It’s currently a storage spot for dirt for the riverfront terraforming. Love all of the big old trees through here.

News
    Participant

Vets Memorial demolition approved, new museum to honor Ohio’s 900,00 military veterans
    Oct 21, 2014, 1:37pm
    Brian R. Ball
    Staff reporter – Columbus Business First

The days of the Franklin County Veterans Memorial in Franklinton are numbered as plans for a statewide memorial advanced Tuesday.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2014/10/21/vets-memorial-demolition-approved-new-museum-to.html

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

It was barely a mention during the Downtown Commission meeting earlier today but during the Vets presentation they mentioned plans for Broad St. to go on a diet in the memorial area, with the addition of bike lanes and a grassy median. Hopefully the impact will be dramatic enough to push through the plans for the rest of Broad through downtown and beyond.

geoyui
    Participant

Vets Memorial demolition approved, new museum to honor Ohio’s 900,00 military veterans<br>
    Oct 21, 2014, 1:37pm<br>
    Brian R. Ball<br>
    Staff reporter – Columbus Business First

The days of the Franklin County Veterans Memorial in Franklinton are numbered as plans for a statewide memorial advanced Tuesday.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2014/10/21/vets-memorial-demolition-approved-new-museum-to.html

Is this an updated rendering or the same one just from a different perspective?

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

It’s an updated design – the outdoor space shown in current and previous renderings is now on the roof of this enclosed structure

geoyui
    Participant

It’s an updated design – the outdoor space shown in current and previous renderings is now on the roof of this enclosed structure

I assume having the outdoor space on the roof provides more administrative offices/meeting spaces below?

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 283 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: