Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Vets Memorial Planned for Scioto Peninsula

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion New Vets Memorial Planned for Scioto Peninsula

This topic contains 282 replies, has 68 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 283 total)
  • Author
    Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Just read the article about the city working with the Columbus Zoo to bring an animal attraction to the riverfront. Anyone know anything else about this? Will it be a smaller type zoo to anchor the riverfront?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

It sounds like it will be a smaller type zoo to anchor the riverfront.

bjones7
    Participant

Link? or name of hard print? Did they mention where on the river front? My initial guess would be the scioto audubon metro park. However next or near to cosi would be a better bet for them. I have no clue where they would put it by the scioto mile. Not much room their.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

The Dispatch is keeping me from viewing the article again but it looks to be west of Vets Memorial on the riverfront. http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/03/18/animal-adventure-may-prowl-downtown.html

bjones7
    Participant

Ya, I finally found it. They are looking at a couple concepts including:
    Lied Jungle, which is a 123,000-square-foot rain forest at Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo

and Jungala, a 4-acre outdoor jungle at Busch Gardens in Tampa, Fla (along with others):
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Jungala&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=bzBHUaDMJsLA4AOvsIHwAg&biw=1366&bih=640&sei=kDBHUeyBGZSk4AP9s4GwDw

columbusmike
    Participant

I always thought this would be a great addition to downtown. I’d like to see this right on the river with really great views of the downtown skyline. Coupled with COSI, this could be a really active place with school children from around the state coming to visit.

More cultural buildings are needed downtown! This is a great start…

My hope would be that provisions are made to keep buses a block or two away. Hate to see all that valuable real estate go towards surface parking lots.

Coy
    Participant

Well, I just got a zoo membership for the b-day, so let;s get this thing rolling.. I hate the drive to Dublin!
    I’d go for more aquarium, myself…

geoyui
    Participant

Coy said:
    Well, I just got a zoo membership for the b-day, so let;s get this thing rolling.. I hate the drive to Dublin!
    I’d go for more aquarium, myself…

Whether it’s an aquarium or some type of jungle, the closer to the river the better.

joev
    Participant

Fish are boring, but if they bring manatees, now we’re talking! (Plus, Cleveland and Cincinnati both now have urban/urban adjacent aquariums, so one here would be less special.)

Wait… OTTERS! The whole thing should be an otter habitat. Animals that would be native to the river would be a plus, and no local fauna is more charismatic than otters.

columbusmike
    Participant

By the weather outside today, a rain forest sure would be appropriate…

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

A BioDome would be really gnarly.

surber17
    Participant

really the only thing that makes me question if I’ll stay in Columbus or not is the weather. For me, I need some winter activities to make me forget how terrible it is outside … a huge fake rain forest would be a great idea!

Coy
    Participant

Otters are water based kittens.
    Guaranteed moneymaker.
    Add some penguins and you’re golden.

columbusmike
    Participant

surber17 said:
    really the only thing that makes me question if I’ll stay in Columbus or not is the weather. For me, I need some winter activities to make me forget how terrible it is outside … a huge fake rain forest would be a great idea!

Head over to Nationwide Plaza sometime for lunch….the large lobby inside has palms and smells of a maintenance crew a little too eager to put chlorine in the fountains. Anyways, it’s about as close to a rain forest as you can get in Central Ohio…although the pink granite and brass reaks of the 80s…

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Just saw a post by Kevin Landers on facebook. It’s long so I won’t post it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 283 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.