Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Zoo

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus Zoo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Quote:
    Published on Mar 15, 2013

Get ready for your safari – pith helmets are optional. The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium is building a $30.4 million, 43 acre exhibit called, Safari Africa expected to open in summer 2014. With promises to be unparalleled in the zoo-tourism-recreation industry, this exhibit will offer an interactive experience with animals and treat guests to the beauty of Africa while inspiring a message of conservation to protect and nurture the world’s natural resources.

Although Jack Hanna will be the “virtual” tour guide at the zoo’s exhibit, he’ll be the real tour guide at the next CMC Forum on March 13. Joining Hanna will be the zoo’s new president and CEO Tom Stalf and moderator Jeff Hogan from WBNS 10TV.

“Jungle Jack,” the director emeritus of the zoo since 1993, is as well known outside of Columbus as he is at home. He and his cadre of crawling, flying and creeping animals are regulars on television including “Good Morning America,” “Late Night with David Letterman” and Jack’s current show and “Jack Hanna’s Into the Wild,” which often includes his wife, Suzi. His devotion to wildlife conservation is reflected in everything he does including his public appearance, television shows, writing, and in the direction he has led the zoo.

Meet Tom Stalf, who was just appointed the president and CEO of the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium a few weeks ago. His role includes leadership for other zoo entities including Zoombezi Bay, Safari Golf Club and the Wilds conservation center. Stalf shares Hanna’s passion for conservation and enthusiasm for everything animal. He says, “My life has been dedicated to inspiring people to care about wildlife and wild places, but I know I can’t do it by myself.”

Not without a TV following himself, Stalf stars on frequent YouTube videos promoting zoo activities and awareness, such as Polar Bear day or how to brush the teeth of Kulinda, the rhinoceros.

News
    Participant

News
    Participant

Columbus Zoo Looks For Funding Assistance For Safari Africa Exhibit
    Tuesday August 13, 2013 3:20 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Columbus Zoo is asking for funding help for the new Safari Africa exhibit. Officials are seeking money from the Delaware Port Authority to help fund the planned 43 acre exhibit.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/08/13/columbus-zoo-delaware-port-authority-safari-funding.html

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Delaware Port Authority… delaware has a port? waaa?

pez
    Participant

CalebR said:
    Delaware Port Authority… delaware has a port? waaa?

Probably better described as a finance authority, essentially an independent political subdivision with ‘special powers’. The zoo used them before to finance to polar bear exhibit.

Here is a pretty good description of the whats and whys for a port authority.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

pez said:
    Probably better described as a finance authority, essentially an independent political subdivision with ‘special powers’. The zoo used them before to finance to polar bear exhibit.

Here is a pretty good description of the whats and whys for a port authority.

oh okay! that makes sense!

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

photo by Grahm S. Jones for the Columbus Zoo

The giraffes have arrived at the zoo:

via release:
    The first two giraffes have arrived at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium’s new Africa exhibit, which will open in May, 2014. Two three-year-old male reticulated giraffes, Conner and Dasher, were transported yesterday from the Binder Park Zoo in Michigan. As part of the Zoo’s routine animal health protocol, the giraffes are in quarantine in their new 180’ by 54’ barn.

Reticulated giraffes (Giraffa camelopardalis reticulata) are the most distinctively patterned of the nine subspecies of giraffe. Their coat has a brown, regular, box-like pattern (called a reticulated pattern) which provides good camouflage in the dry savannas and open woodlands of northeast Kenya. A full-grown giraffe ranges from 13 to 18 feet in height and can weigh up to 2,600 pounds.

News
    Participant

New Zoo Exhibit Brings Heart of Africa to Columbus
    May 23, 2014 7:50 am – Sally Wenxin Xia

One minute you’re driving 45 miles per hour on Powell Road — the next minute, you’ve encountered a savannah with herds of wildlife roaming in the background.

“It’s Africa in Columbus and words can’t describe what you see out there,” says Adam Felts, an assistant curator at The Columbus Zoo, “It is Jack Hannah’s vision of people coming to the zoo and being swept away with Africa.”

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/new-zoo-exhibit-brings-heart-of-africa-to-columbus-sx1

News
    Participant

Columbus Zoo On Pace For Record Attendance Year
    Thursday October 9, 2014 10:09 AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Attendance records are on track to fall this year at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. The Columbus Dispatch reports that as of Sept. 30, 1.92 million people had gone to the zoo. The total attendance for all of 2013 was 1.99 million.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/10/09/columbus-ohio-columbus-zoo-on-pace-for-record-attendance-year.html

theadocj
    Participant

So the Zoo is setting attendance records, yet they still needed to go to the voters for a levy [considered it twice] for more money because they didn’t have enough? After the record-setting attendance at Zoo Lights last year, and then these numbers this year at both the Zoo and Zoombezi, I would say the public is off the hook for like the next 5 years. And if we’re asked to foot the bill again, maybe they need to take a hard look at how they can’t continually operate a well-attended zoo. Yes? Or incorrect correlations?

jbcmh81
    Participant

So the Zoo is setting attendance records, yet they still needed to go to the voters for a levy [considered it twice] for more money because they didn’t have enough? After the record-setting attendance at Zoo Lights last year, and then these numbers this year at both the Zoo and Zoombezi, I would say the public is off the hook for like the next 5 years. And if we’re asked to foot the bill again, maybe they need to take a hard look at how they can’t continually operate a well-attended zoo. Yes? Or incorrect correlations?

The irony is that you seem to think record crowds just magically appeared. It took 40 years to get the zoo where it is today, largely due to public support and passing levies for continuous improvements and expansion (which is what the latest levy was for). Now that the city has deemed that a frivolous expense, I guess we’ll see just how long the zoo remains near or at the top nationally.

dashboard2002
    Participant

I visited the zoo for the first time, I was left with a lot of questions. The animals all looked really well-cared for and the newer exhibits were really impressive. But why are there almost no docents at the zoo? Why is it so commercialized? It felt more like an amusement park. I saw so many animals with absolutely no educational information, except for a small sign with the name of the species… no information about habitat or animal behavior. Nothing to engage the intellectual curiosity of the viewer.

People, especially kids, were asking lots of questions, but there was no one there to answer, and no signs and no information.

I’m used to zoos like Chicago’s that are run by a nonprofit zoological society, where the entire focus and intention is on education. In the Chicago zoos you get the sincere feeling that the zoo is designed to help people understand the natural world, and that people leave knowing more than when they came in.

In the Columbus zoo, there were so many entertainment-oriented distractions that I do not know what they are trying to be… a spectacle or a zoo? It does not seem like scientists, educators, and zoologists are at the helm. It seems like they have lost their way.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I have been to the zoo and and had the exact opposite reaction.

News
    Participant

Truth Test: Columbus Zoo Claims Major Layoffs If Levy Fails
    By Nathan Baca
    Tuesday October 20, 2015 6:16 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Columbus Zoo makes a straight-forward approach in its ad that urges support for renewal of their levy. The Committee for the Columbus Zoo Levy’s began airing the ad in support of Issue 15 today.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2015/10/20/columbus-ohio-truth-test-columbus-zoo-claims-major-layoffs-if-levy-fails.html

jbcmh81
    Participant

After all the negativity and vilification of the zoo during the last levy, I wonder how much of an impact that will have on future ones. It used to be a given that these would pass, but now I’m not so sure.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS