Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Working On Regulations For Pedicab Industry

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Columbus Working On Regulations For Pedicab Industry

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Graybeak
    Participant

Julian Valencia, with Columbus Pedicabs, says out of town pedicab drivers flood the market when concerts and Ohio State University football games are happening.

“They were like going down the wrong way on Olentangy River Road with no lights at night and I’m like, I was almost having a heart attack,” Valencia said.

10TV Story

I wonder…

mrpoppinzs

I think John Myers mentioned it in either the AirBnB or food truck thread but there is a tendency of incumbent businesses to try to use government to regulate competition out of an area when new threats arrive.

I am out a lot and have never noticed this growing menace. I don’t have a problem with common sense safety stuff (there are already some laws governing bikes and similar vehicles) but the more red tape, inspections, local fees, special licenses and certificates the more stifled the market becomes.

leftovers

Graybeak

“They were like going down the wrong way on Olentangy River Road with no lights at night and I’m like, I was almost having a heart attack,” Valencia said.

I wonder…

Dude, like it totally happened. ;)

RhondaH

I have always wanted to try one. How much do pedicab rides generally cost? Is there some rate system based on distance and a flat fee like cabs?

News
    Participant

City of Columbus Working on Regulations for Pedicabs
    Published on June 13, 2013 10:20 am
    By: Brent Warren

The city is looking to regulate pedicabs for the first time, requiring operators to set standard rates and pay a fee for licenses and annual background checks for drivers. Despite the additional costs and potential red tape, local operators are generally supportive of the proposal; in fact, it was kind of their idea in the first place.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/city-of-columbus-working-on-regulations-for-pedicabs-bw1

groundrules
    Participant

regulation #1: keep that shit off the sidewalk.

byJody
    Participant

I went to the original hearing. It seems like good legislation for the most part and several operators testified in favor of it. It dictates safety lights and regular inspections of the vehicle. My biggest objection was making a pedicab driver have a motor vehicle license and though I understand the requirement for them to have a physical regularly, I feel like there should be an affordable option offered by a clinic doctor for folks who do not carry health insurance.

This is the thread for the original hearing.
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/safety-committee-holds-hearing-on-pedicab-industry-regulations

joev
    Participant

byJody said:
    My biggest objection was making a pedicab driver have a motor vehicle license and though I understand the requirement for them to have a physical regularly, I feel like there should be an affordable option offered by a clinic doctor for folks who do not carry health insurance.

There is! Columbus Neighborhood Health Centers. Five locations throughout the city.

pez
    Participant

News said:
    City of Columbus Working on Regulations for Pedicabs
    Published on June 13, 2013 10:20 am
    By: Brent Warren

. Despite the additional costs and potential red tape, local operators are generally supportive of the proposal; in fact, it was kind of their idea in the first place.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/city-of-columbus-working-on-regulations-for-pedicabs-bw1

What pedicab wouldn’t be in favor of a little red tape and a small cost to limit competition to 40 units in the city?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

The last time I took I pedicab I got the driver super high, I’m glad there were no regulations against that.

cbus11

pez said:
    What pedicab wouldn’t be in favor of a little red tape and a small cost to limit competition to 40 units in the city?

+1 looks like the pedicabs are trying to pull a fast one.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cbus11 said:
    +1 looks like the pedicabs are trying to pull a fast one.

Well, you know what they say… the easiest way to “pull a fast one” is to initiate government hearings to study and regulate your business. Works every time.

cbus11

fast one:
    a clever and devious trick

mrpoppinzs said:
    there is a tendency of incumbent businesses to try to use government to regulate competition out of an area when new threats arrive.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Is it really “devious” though? They seem to be pretty upfront about what they’re doing.

From here: https://www.columbusunderground.com/city-of-columbus-working-on-regulations-for-pedicabs-bw1

Jason Biundo, Managing Partner at E.C.T. Pedicab, initially reached out to the city years ago, worried about a lack of standards in the industry and the negative impact that the occasional unsafe or unsavory operator could have on his business.

“I have always been wary of seeing fares get into pedicabs and leave without knowing what they’ll be paying,” said Biundo. “My concern with it is that I would never want to see someone feeling as if they paid more than they thought the ride was worth. That person would be unlikely to ever take a pedicab again, and that’s bad for business.”

Another concern was out-of-town operators that swooped in for big events like OSU football games. Under the proposed regulations, all operators would have to go through the same process to receive a license and be eligible to work in Columbus.

cbus11

I would guess it depends on how many out of town (who are reading CU) or ‘future’ startup pedicabs end up getting one those 40 licenses. I am not sure why there needs to be a limit on the number especially in an industry that has so much growth potential.

The Bullshit Meter is reading pretty high.

Graybeak said:
    Julian Valencia, with Columbus Pedicabs, says out of town pedicab drivers flood the market when concerts and Ohio State University football games are happening.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE