Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Tourism & Conventions / Experience Columbus - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus Tourism & Conventions / Experience Columbus – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 85 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Tourism Contributes $8.7 Billion to Columbus Economy
    October 15, 2014 1:37 pm – Walker Evans

Columbus doesn’t have mountains, oceans or internationally known landmarks, but that doesn’t mean that tourists are non-existent in our city. In fact, Experience Columbus released a report yesterday that highlights the fact that economic impact from visitor spending is up 11% in the past two years to a grand total of $8.7 billion, generated by 37.6 million visitors.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/tourism-contributes-8-7-billion-to-columbus-economy

James
    Participant

37.6 million visitors = 103k visitors a day. That seems really high. Even when OSU football is factored in.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Yeah, that seems way high. The cited news item on the Experience Columbus website is here:

http://news.experiencecolumbus.com/news/experience-columbus-2013-visitor-impact-report

I wish they explained some of their methodology. For example, what constitutes a visitor? I suspect they’re casting a very broad net to get such a high number. Say I’m a bro from Hilliard looking to bro-down at the Pint House. Am I one of the 37.6 million visitors? What if I live out of town but work in Columbus and eat out for lunch every day, does that count?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

First of all, real bros don’t live in Hilliard. ;)

Seriously though, I have to wonder if a “visitor” is more of an interaction measurement than an individual measurement assigned to one person.

Like for instance, you’re in town for a 2-day conference. You’re 1 visitor. But while here, you visit 5 restaurants, 5 entertainment venues, 1 hotel, 3 taxis, and 2 bars, for a grand total of 16 “visits” to the various destinations surrounding the convention center.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Somewhat related article from the Dispatch recently about a possible (eventual) expansion of the Hyatt to 1,000 rooms,

Hyatt Regency reluctant to expand

Observers say the Hyatt Regency needs to add 400 rooms, creating a 1,000-room convention hotel, to accommodate large gatherings such as political conventions.

“We’ve looked at (expanding) a number of times over the years, but we’re not presently looking at it,” said Brian Ellis, president of Nationwide Realty Investors, which owns 56 percent of the Hyatt Regency.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2015/03/27/rooms-needed.html

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

Well if there is the demand for more rooms and the the Hyatt doesn’t take the initiative I’m sure a competitor will take advantage of the opportunity. I wonder if the proposal across the street will come back with an improved design?

News
    Participant

Columbus Hotel Occupancy Rates Rise, New 1000-Room Hotel Recommended
    September 9, 2015 5:16 pm – Walker Evans

Columbus isn’t typically regarded as a tourist destination, but that isn’t stopping our visitor numbers from growing steadily. Experience Columbus released a new report today that says that visitor volume grew by 200,000 people between 2013 and 2014 to a total of 37.9 million last year. Additionally, between mid-year 2014 and 2015, hotel occupancy rates increased by 2.5 percent while the average daily hotel rate went up 6.1 percent.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/columbus-convention-center-growth

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

I really think they missed the mark on adding a full service hotel at the far northwest corner of the convention center at High & Goodale Street. The large surface lot behind the convention center off 3rd and Nationwide is open land but pretty disconnected from High street. What about the small green space at Nationwide & High? Is that open to build on or is it owned by Nationwide?

S.browning
    Participant

Read city needs a 1000 room hotel . Let’s for once C BUS go for it and build a world class hotel design with some type of rotating roof top rest, and very tall and unique look

ohbr
    Participant

I’d rather keep that pocket park than crowd that intersection. For some reason, it’s one of my favorite greenspaces in the city. The biggest trouble is that Experience Columbus is on a much different and much more forward thinking outlook than the Convention Authority. The Convention Authority, oddly enough, is what is holding the convention center and its business back while Experience Columbus is trying to propel it to a much greater national stage and sell much larger conventions. Experience Columbus has been begging for a 1000 room hotel for several years now and the Convention Authority has not placed it as a priority and as mentioned, blew it’s chance on the north end.

Fortunately though, there are several viable options. Just need to convince the right people. The obvious include the big open lot, the sliver left between the north garage and the cap. The less obvious could be developing that small area along Goodale between Summit and 4th (land acquisitions could be tricky). I believe there has also been been mention of a future Hilton expansion. Not sure how that plan work. Also, the Hyatt was built so it could be expanded upward to double the number of rooms (part of the reason for the seemingly extra tall elevator shafts). And, for all those with skyscraper envy, that would really make an impact in the vertical appearance of the city. The trick there is convincing Hyatt to do so.

ehill27
    Participant

Could they use that U-shaped Ohio Center Way and build over the tracks? How about really capping the cap and build over 670?

ohbr
    Participant

Could they use that U-shaped Ohio Center Way and build over the tracks? How about really capping the cap and build over 670?

A 1000 room hotel would be a huge investment and endeavor. I would imagine that putting it over any span, railroad or highway would be just too cost probitive. Also, a wreck under a restaurant or parking deck is one thing, but a wreck under a 1000 room hotel may bring other issues such as evacuations. Not sure if that is really an issue but just building a structure of that size over a span would be quite a feat especially if you want it to have any significant height. If it’s proposed, I’d support it but I wouldn’t guess it as a viable option.

Based on the fact that the convention center over the railroad is nothing more than a glorified skywalk and bridge, there is probably some significant restriction on what can be built over it.

They could get rid of the access road or rework the access road off Summit/3rd and build on that land. It’s probably easier to ok a private drive through a hotel than over a railroad or highway. An access road that takes you directly into a 1000 room full service hotel where the valet takes your car and handles the rest from there sounds pretty appealing to me. No need to park the cars on the front lawn…. (Random Pet peeve with Hyatt)

Roger846
    Participant

Read city needs a 1000 room hotel . Let’s for once C BUS go for it and build a world class hotel design with some type of rotating roof top rest, and very tall and unique look

I totally agree. Let’s finally do a tall building with a non-boring look (more brick boxes). But, I’m not getting my hopes up. Based on past history and unless things change, we’ll get a few more 8-15 story limited-service mid-quality hotels and miss another opportunity. Hope springs eternal but for me at least, I’m starting to lose a little bit of interest.

WJT
    Participant

They should build it on the sliver between the cap and the North Garage between Goodale and 670. That slice is at least 200 feet long, and from about 60 to 125 feet wide. Right next to a parking garage, right at the convention center. It would need to be tall, 30 or even 40 floors, but it could be a landmark building. and the odd space could lead to a interesting shape and design-at a certain safe height, a part of it could even extend a bit over the freeway providing architectural drama for a city that is lacking it it IMO.

It would also be at least 100 feet back from High, so not blocking any direct North views from the Joseph. Build another garage on the other side of Third and connect it with a skybridge to the Convention Center(that would not be any worse than what we are going to have now).

But this is Columbus, so it will not happen. Too risk averse, cautious, too often good enough but still plodding along while competitor cities have big plans and make then happen.

*about the Hyatt going higher. The thought of that dark glass monster rising to maybe over 500 feet is just..well..not something I want to think about.

ohbr
    Participant

*about the Hyatt going higher. The thought of that dark glass monster rising to maybe over 500 feet is just..well..not something I want to think about.

Upward expansion of the Hyatt could facilitate a new facade with new, brighter, glass and the top half does not necessarily have to be the same as the bottom half. There are probably some really awesome ways to do it that would bring a refreshing element to the skyline, especially if we are talking in the 500ft range. A sleek, modern building virtually the same size as the Nationwide Building is an attractive idea. Do I think it would happen that way? no, but still fun to think about. The impact construction would have to the function of the facility is probably a huge factor in preventing such a project. But like the others, I don’t see a signature tower happening for this. Columbus has not attracted the attention of the types of developers needed to create and fund such a project. I think our best bet for a new signature tower will be the Dispatch site.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 85 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER