Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Speeding Tickets

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Columbus Speeding Tickets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

elliemae13

Does anyone have experience successfully fighting speeding tickets and would like to share come advice?

I’m an OSU student with no prior offenses considering fighting my speeding ticket. The cop was waiting on my road and I got pulled over a block from my home. I honestly don’t believe I was speeding and there is no posted speed limit. The officer incorrectly listed the make of my car, which makes me think she was either rushed or not very observant. Maybe she didn’t take very detailed notes either?

I’m considering asking for discovery to obtain her notes and calibrations. Do you think it would be beneficial to reschedule my court date to a day she has off?

kjr
    Participant

The fact that there is no posted speed limit doesn’t matter. There are established speed limits that are in effect unless a lower limit is stated. If you took driver’s ed, they should have gone over that. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.21v1

Avoid the court costs and just pay the ticket. “I honestly don’t believe I was speeding” doesn’t cut it in court.

lattethunder
    Participant

It’s totally not worth the effort, as you can’t really contest it. If the officer shows up at your court date you’re pretty much garruanteed to lose. So, you would have to be able to recognize your officer to see if they’re there and request a continuance each time they show up to court until the one day when s/he doesn’t show up, then plead your case. Without a witness they’re likely to let you off the hook. I’ve never done it, but this would take months and it’s definitely not worth the couple hundred bucks.

If you are concerned about points on your licence just go to the court appearance and ask for the ticket to be amended to a non-moving violation in exchange for you paying it immediately. That’s always worked for me. Prepare to spend all morning there as they see cases in alphabetical order (unless you got lucky with your last name).

HogRoaster
    Participant

If you have the time, show up early on your court date and talk to the prosecutor like they’re a real person. Just tell them you have a clean record and you don’t want the charge to affect your insurance rates. Point out the errors, but know that the cop will likely be sitting right next to the prosecutor, so if the errors are minor, she will get defensive and insist that she was right in issuing you the ticket. At a minimum, the prosecutor will let you plea down and avoid the points, but you may still need to pay the fine. Best case, they’ll appreciate your non-combative attitude and let you off because of your 100% clean record. Rescheduling the court date will likely not work…and while I have gotten off in the past on technicalities, I’ve found that the prosecutor will work with you this time because of your clean record. That is your best defense. Whatever you do, don’t tell them that you can’t be charged for speeding because there wasn’t a speed limit sign in the exact location of your offense. Better yet, do some research and find out when you will be able to talk to the prosecutor BEFORE your arraignment so you can settle this before they have 100 other cases on their plate for your court date and an impatient judge presiding. Also know that if you do not work something out with the prosecutor and decide that you want to take it to trial, you will have to come back on a 2nd date (they will not hear your trial at the arraignment.) In the past, I have pled down to a non-moving violation (damn tail light keeps going out!)and paid a nominal fine, but I’ve hear they don’t do that much any more.

If the prosecutor is a jerk and won’t work with you, tell them you’d like to have your day in court within 30 days of the offense. If they try to schedule it 30+ days after your offense and you have nothing to do with the delay, this may be enough reason for them to drop the case. Probably won’t work in Columbus, but it did work for me in Grandview where they only have Mayor’s court every 2 weeks and are usually booked solid with more important DUI cases.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

If you are an OSU student you can go to the legal center and they will help you ‘take care of it’

tobyb

I second that it is not worth the effort of fighting. For me it took a whole day and the judge put me last on the list waiting for the officer to arrive. I ended up paying court costs and parking. Unless there is something glaring it doesn’t seem worth it.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I have never been a prosecutor in Franklin County and I do not know the practices here, but any error on the ticket could be grounds for dismissal. Obviously, getting the state of registration wrong will get a ticket dismissed. I do not know if getting the make of the car wrong is as effective.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

saying “there’s no posted speed limit” combined with “I honestly don’t believe I was speeding” to me implies either of 2 possibilities. Either you didn’t think you were speeding perhaps based on erroneous information about the speed limit (the default on side streets is 25 not 30). Or perhaps you knew you were speeding but want to say there’s no posted limit to get out of it (that ain’t gonna work in court btw).

Ok I’m kind of an expert on speeding tickets. Unfortunately. And what I’m gonna say comes from years of getting them. A *lot* of them for a while but none for a long time now. So take this as you will:

The few seconds you saved driving faster on your street have already been used up just posting your message here. If you’re in that much of a rush, don’t waste anymore of your time on this. As a student you have BETTER THINGS TO DO. You’ll save more time and money in the long run by just paying it and being more mindful while driving. 1-2 points is not going to raise your insurance rate. 4-5 will.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

hugh59 said:
    I have never been a prosecutor in Franklin County and I do not know the practices here, but any error on the ticket could be grounds for dismissal. Obviously, getting the state of registration wrong will get a ticket dismissed. I do not know if getting the make of the car wrong is as effective.

oh trust me. make/model error isn’t going to help. Been there.

Pleading to a charge with no points is useful (been there too) if you already have points and dont want MORE. 1-2 points makes no real difference anyway. But a big waste of a day if you have anything better to do.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Most of the time I see someone speeding I just wind up catching them at the next red light anyway. Gas pedals are not NOW buttons. The traffic engineers have ways of making speeding pointless in built-up areas.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Never mind.

I am as nice as can be with officers who pull me over. That won’t work with a red light camera or a speed camera.

elliemae13

Thanks for all the advice. One potentially important detail I should mention is that there are two speed limit signs posted within a few yards of where I pulled over, however both are Yellow & Black “suggested speed signs”. One is for 10 mph in a sharp turn and the other is for 25 mph due to speed bumps. The bumps were removed nearly two months ago but the signs remain. This is why I believed I was not speeding. I assumed that since the suggested speed was 25, the actual limit was higher.

roy
    Participant

elliemae13 said:
    Thanks for all the advice. One potentially important detail I should mention is that there are two speed limit signs posted within a few yards of where I pulled over, however both are Yellow & Black “suggested speed signs”. One is for 10 mph in a sharp turn and the other is for 25 mph due to speed bumps. The bumps were removed nearly two months ago but the signs remain. This is why I believed I was not speeding. I assumed that since the suggested speed was 25, the actual limit was higher.

Speed bumps and other traffic calming devices are intended to force cars to reduce speeds on residential streets. You won’t find much sympathy on CU for vehicles speeding in neighborhoods, you know you were exceeding the speed limit, pay the ticket and don’t do it again.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

elliemae13 said:

lol wow. Please take a moment and familiarize yourself with this document: http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/hsy7607.pdf

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

If they assigned a patrol officer to the area, it was probably in response to citizen complaints about speeding drivers.

Sometimes they park a radar trailer as a hint – I like those things because it’s a good way to check what my speedometer reads vs. what the radar says.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: