Messageboard - Columbus Festivals

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Pride 2011 and Events

Home Forums Events Columbus Festivals Columbus Pride 2011 and Events

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

30 Years of Pride – Pride Parade Photo Review:

30 Years of Pride – Pride Parade Photo Review

patient_zero
    Participant

Matt took some nice photos. He has some great telephoto images. I armed myself with my petite Canon S95, and snapped a few photos. Here’s a Flickr link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157627001299832/

And a taste of some of my favorites:

bman
    Participant

PZ … thanks for sharing, the Pride photo’s in your flicker account were tremendous. I had an out of town visitor in town who does not like parades and large gatherings of people so we did not make it to the parade. Glad you shared the pics.

patient_zero
    Participant

bman wrote >>
    PZ … thanks for sharing, the Pride photo’s in your flicker account were tremendous. I had an out of town visitor in town who does not like parades and large gatherings of people so we did not make it to the parade. Glad you shared the pics.

Thanks, b! You and your visitor missed a great event. Next time maybe suggest viewing it from Hyatt Regency, Hampton Inn or even Barley’s or Knead, if you think they would view from afar.

Hey! I’ve got pics to Bat-N-Rouge at Dodge Park, but need to load them tonight. I’ll post here when they are downloaded. :]

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

In the not-so-unlikely situation of the US economy experiencing yet another, and perhaps worse, economic crisis, how might right wing populism affect the lives of queer folk ?

If there are more economic crises, a veer to the political left could lead to civil war and revolution. But a veer to the political right could lead to authoritarianism that involves making scapegoats of queer folk, along with undocumented immigrants.

Working class and working poor folk with whom I’ve spoken in Dayton and in other post-industrial wastelands tend to talk more about undocumented Mexican workers taking their jobs than they talk about corporate greed behind the push to send jobs overseas.

Unfortunately, with some charismatic authoritarianism, gays and lesbians could be added to that list of who to blame. Masses of people may tend to blame not those responsible for the crises, but instead those who are least capable of defending themselves.

Religious conservative veterans of the 1990s culture wars are perhaps a bit subdued these days, but fighting for ‘family values’ may still end up being a way to mobilize masses of people to blame our nation’s loss of greatness on queer folk, immigrants, and godless liberals in general.

Given the corporate control of our mass media, that message is likely to win out over a message that calls attention to the ongoing concentration of wealth undermining our national interest.

I often tell friends I’m a reformist, not a revolutionary. But if the latter is the only viable alternative to political repression, then I’m for revolution.

catnfiddle
    Participant

I think I spent an hour looking through all those photos. You took an interesting picture of one of my former students who was marching with CCAD. It was good to see him after so many years. ALL of the pics were amazing.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

TomOver wrote >>
    In the not-so-unlikely situation of the US economy experiencing yet another, and perhaps worse, economic crisis, how might right wing populism affect the lives of queer folk ?
    If there are more economic crises, a veer to the political left could lead to civil war and revolution. But a veer to the political right could lead to authoritarianism that involves making scapegoats of queer folk, along with undocumented immigrants.
    Working class and working poor folk with whom I’ve spoken in Dayton and in other post-industrial wastelands tend to talk more about undocumented Mexican workers taking their jobs than they talk about corporate greed behind the push to send jobs overseas.
    Unfortunately, with some charismatic authoritarianism, gays and lesbians could be added to that list of who to blame. Masses of people may tend to blame not those responsible for the crises, but instead those who are least capable of defending themselves.
    Religious conservative veterans of the 1990s culture wars are perhaps a bit subdued these days, but fighting for ‘family values’ may still end up being a way to mobilize masses of people to blame our nation’s loss of greatness on queer folk, immigrants, and godless liberals in general.
    Given the corporate control of our mass media, that message is likely to win out over a message that calls attention to the ongoing concentration of wealth undermining our national interest.
    I often tell friends I’m a reformist, not a revolutionary. But if the latter is the only viable alternative to political repression, then I’m for revolution.

At the same time, I’m encouraged and inspired by the apparent formation of alliances among people and groups that involve connecting sexuality and gender issues with environmentalism, economic and racial justice, and various other human rights issues.

One of the reasons some of us use the term ‘queer’ is that it involves the idea that the ‘gay rights’ movement shouldn’t suck up to corporate America, and that queer folk shouldn’t embrace hyper-consumerism in a narrowly focused attempt at getting acceptance from the rest of society.

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

did anyone get any pix of the entirety of this balloon-rainbow? cuz this one just doesn’t do it’s true size justice . . .

you ever wonder what it’d be like to hold onto an incredibly huge balloon structure like this one, watching it tower into the sky and sway back and forth while you marvel at just how unbelievably high it reaches, while feeling it tug in your hand?

ever wonder how awe-inspiringly zen it would be to let it go, at like 4:15 in the morning, and watch it gently float high in the silent, still, windless night sky, until you can see it drift over the ghetto, over 71 and off further east until you just can’t even make it out anymore?

lemme tell ya, it’s awesome.

OhioFestivals
    Participant

Here’s my post on Columbus Pride. Hope you enjoy!
    http://ohiofestivals.net/?p=897

Kris

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I had a really good time at the parade and I’m straight. I really enjoyed a t-shirt I saw that read “I’m straight but all my friends are gay.” The few protestors seemed very well ignored and very sad looking.

misskitty
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    I had a really good time at the parade and I’m straight. I really enjoyed a t-shirt I saw that read “I’m straight but all my friends are gay.” The few protestors seemed very well ignored and very sad looking.

True I only saw one guy get ruffed up other then that the people just walked away.

sirlancelot
    Participant

A couple of thoughts. First, the event appears to be approaching the “Red, White & Boom” parade in size. 250,000+ people? Second, no Ohio politician worthy of the name can ignore the gay community anymore. Conservatives will have to work with the gay community to help operate Ohio or lose influence. Third, that so many younger het couples (often with children) were part of the crowds gives me hope. Fourth, the wide range and extent of businesses involved in the event also gives me hope. Again, no politician can ignore this and conservatives cannot count on hissy fits or boycotts (like the one for Home Depot) to shape public policy. Perhaps now is the time to begin a repeal the Marriage Amendment.

Ohio now can enter the 21st century.

patient_zero
    Participant

bastardsuperstar wrote >>
    did anyone get any pix of the entirety of this balloon-rainbow? cuz this one just doesn’t do it’s true size justice . . .

Here’s a fairly complete shot of the balloon-rainbow I took as I was enroute to shoot the parade (which I assumed was in Goodale Park – stupid me).

patient_zero
    Participant

Anyone go to Bat-N-Rouge, the drag softball event at Dodge Park? MC’s Virginia and Nina West were too damn funny. They had me laughing all afternoon. Here’s some pics to relive the day, or to experience it via Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157627010051276/

Popeye and Olive Oil

Monica Day from NBC4

Miss Joplin, MO, spinning, but “downgraded to a storm”

MC’s Nina and Virginia West eating pudding shots

Here’s the pitch

Hugging in the rain

Coreroc

This mix was rocking on the Outlook float with Moxy leading the dance party in the streets. The Big Gay dance party was by far the most energetic dj set this city may see all year. Comfest has a bunch of work to do to catch up to the pride party this year.

Walker wrote >>
    Via Outlook’s email newsletter:
    Get ready for The Big Gay Dance Party by downloading our new Pride Mix!
    The 2011 outlook Pride Mix: The 30 Years & Still Loving It
    by dj moxy
    Get your copy here: http://www.mediafire.com/?virp5kkao21eapu
    the official outlook 2011 pride mix includes:
    1. trans europe express (moxy edit) – kraftwerk
    2. stuff me up (moxy edit) – peaches
    3. open heart surgery – beth ditto
    4. rapper’s delight (van she remix) – dan the automator
    5. cars that go boom – l’trimm
    6. supersonic – jj fad
    7. freek ‘n you (mk dub) – jodeci
    8. show me love – robin s.
    9. dancin’ on my own (fred falke remix) – robyn
    10. sun of a gun (savage skulls remix) – oh land
    11. stomp (only children remix) – brothers johnson
    12. prick stick (original mix) – louis la roche
    13. my feelings for you (avicii & sebastien drums remix) – treasure fingers
    14. turbo love (light year remix) – bag raiders
    15. interleave (XXXchange 1993 remix) – WIN WIN feat. Alexis Taylor
    16. the suspense is killing me – boy 8 bit
    17. watching you (dub version) – savage skulls feat. tony senghore & sprinkle juice
    18. we speak american (jay robinson remix) – no body
    19. rhythm of the night (dave wrangler remix) – fukkk offf feat. corona
    20. cold hearted snake (discotech mix) – paula abdul
    21. call my name (spencer & hill remix) – sultan & ned shepard feat. nadia ali
    22. forever (radio edit) – wolfgang gartner feat. WILL.i.am
    23. get involved 2011 (adam f and herve stadium kaos mix) – ginuwine, timbaland, missy elliot
    24. american trash (porter robinson remix) – innerpartysystem
    25. lights (bassnectar remix) – ellie goulding
    Get your copy here: http://www.mediafire.com/?virp5kkao21eapu

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

The forum ‘Columbus Festivals’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: