Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Police

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus Police

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • Author

thefiercelime
    Participant

Fundraisers for the state. When they are roaming the streets they are generally a public nuisance and not worthy of my trust. Undereducated and poorly trained. They aren’t all bad, but, I’d prefer they stayed at the station until requested. I feel sorry for the good ones, because they’re out there.

e8453b

e8453b wrote >>

lifeliberty wrote >>
    for more CPD info and to get involved in crime patrol, see http://www.columbuspolice.org/CommunityInteraction/CitizensAcademy.html

We have a very active block watch. I lived in Ganthers Place on the South Side of Columbus. We are on the East side of Parson’s. German
    Village is just West of Ganthers Place. City Council has contacted me
    about this latest incident. We want to be treated with respect, and receive the same police response that German Village has. Our Area has
    greatly improved in the last eight years. We have young families
    moving here, new parks, new businesses, we want to sustain our progress, but we need help from CPD,we are doing our part.

Thank you for the link. Our Block watch members have been involved
    with the police academy, police liaisons officers and crime prevention
    programs.I cannot speak about all CPD OFFICERS, but we have a incessant problem with police in our Area. Hopefully we will see some progress
    after our meeting with City Council Members and the Chief of Police.

lifeliberty
    Participant

something(an issue) that has been addressed before is that the police(most) do not live in the areas they patrol. I’m not advocating that they do, I could see major issues if that were to happen. Lots of areas they have to patrol I wouldn’t want to live in either. But i do think it makes a difference in whether a person is more vested in an area or not.

berdawn

I’ve lived in Weinland Park for more than ten years and each time I’ve had interaction with CPD (either as victim or witness), I’ve found the officers to be responsive and polite.

rus
    rus
    Participant

berdawn wrote >>
    I’ve lived in Weinland Park for more than ten years and each time I’ve had interaction with CPD (either as victim or witness), I’ve found the officers to be responsive and polite.

*awaits the anecdote police*

Cookie

rus wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

I know you’re just being obnoxious, but I figured I’d point out that the person that started this thread specifically invited other people to discuss their anecdotal experiences with the police anyway.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

rus wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

I know you’re just being obnoxious, but I figured I’d point out that the person that started this thread specifically invited other people to discuss their anecdotal experiences with the police anyway.

I see nothing wrong with sharing anecdotes… even those that don’t fit the apparent predetermined conclusions of others.

e8453b

Cookie wrote >>

rus wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

Thank you

e8453b

lifeliberty wrote >>
    something(an issue) that has been addressed before is that the police(most) do not live in the areas they patrol. I’m not advocating that they do, I could see major issues if that were to happen. Lots of areas they have to patrol I wouldn’t want to live in either. But i do think it makes a difference in whether a person is more vested in an area or not.

I agree!!!

e8453b

lifeliberty wrote >>

I agree!!!

It is a requirement that to be mayor of Columbus, Westerville, Gahanna, etc…You must live in that towns limits. Maybe not sure a bad suggestion for the police/fire as well. Funny how the not in my backyard would prefail?

rus
    rus
    Participant

Bristol Bar wrote >>
    It is a requirement that to be mayor of Columbus, Westerville, Gahanna, etc…You must live in that towns limits. Maybe not sure a bad suggestion for the police/fire as well. Funny how the not in my backyard would prefail?

http://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/index.ssf/2009/06/ohio_supreme_court_deals_a_leg.html

In a decision that could be crippling for Cleveland, the Ohio Supreme Court this morning upheld a 2006 state law that bars cities from enforcing residency rules.

Writing for the 5-2 majority, Justice Paul Pfeifer dismissed arguments from Akron and Lima attorneys who said the General Assembly violated cities’ home rule authority.

The 5-2 ruling deals a crushing blow to Cleveland, which requires its employees to live within city limits. The state legislature set up a showdown over the issue in 2006 by approving a law that made such requirements illegal. Cities contend that home-rule provisions of the Ohio Constitution allow for local residency laws.

Mayor Frank Jackson, in a meeting with reporters at City Hall, acknowledged that the ruling upholds the 2006 law and said the city will abide by the law.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

berdawn wrote >>

Me too. Although I dont live in Weinland, I’ve lived in several places over the years and theyve always been professional and decent with me… even when being cuffed. :(

10sun

I’ve called the police a few times in the past.

The one that always sticks out in my mind:

Several years ago I was living in a campus apartment street parking.

My truck was hit while parked on the street.
    The tail-light was broken & bumper bent.

It was the curb side of my truck which meant it pretty much wasn’t possible for through traffic to have caused this.
    There was white paint on my bumper from where it was hit.

So before I called, I looked at the other vehicles parked nearby and low and behold there was a white Jeep Cherokee parked just a bit away that had both damage and missing paint corresponding with a strike on my truck.

I called and pointed this out when an officer came on scene.

They laughed and said this isn’t CSI and told me the report would be available the next day.

The report said nothing of the Jeep, so I just repaired the tail-light and decided to not bother calling any time in the future.

Traffic stop:
    They made a bogus claim that I ran a stop sign (the police cruiser was not able to see the intersection from where they were parked, proved that in court). Dinged me with my license plate light being out (I hadn’t noticed it from when my truck was hit). I had to pay $150 in fees for that.

Ask Sherman about the “shit farmers” and police response there.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

e8453b wrote >>
    Do you think Columbus Police care about City Neighborhoods?

Just to answer the original question…

I’d say that it probably depends upon the individual officer. Some probably care more than others.

As with any large group of people, it’s hard to lump them all into the same mindset on a question like that. A simple “YES” or “NO” is hardly accurate.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE