Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus PD blames pedestrians for getting hit by cars

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Columbus PD blames pedestrians for getting hit by cars

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    welkstar
    welkstar
    Participant

“It’s very rare that we have a pedestrian fatality where we cannot say, ‘well if the pedestrian had only done something differently, then they would have survived,” Wilson said.

“What we really want to do is prevent pedestrian violations, so we don’t have to write tickets tomorrow, and even more so, so we don’t have to go out there and work traffic fatalities tomorrow,” he said.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2015/11/09/columbus-ohio-police-warn-of-increase-in-pedestrians-hit-by-cars.html

Blaming pedestrians for nearly all fatal crashes is the most frustrating mentality. With the number of drivers I see daily making turns while staring at their phones -not looking at the road at all- you can’t tell me it’s nearly always the vulnerable road user at fault.

Hell, look at 3:00 in that video! The Prius almost swipes that guy crossing LEGALLY. Didn’t even attempt to yield.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Thanks for posting.

I was discussing this in the bike thread too. No doubt – jaywalking / texting and walking is a problem. And I’m glad the Columbus PD is trying to create awareness of that. But just as there are instances of drivers following rules and pedestrians not, there are also instances of pedestrians following rules and drivers not. Frustrating that Columbus’ stance is that even if pedestrians follow the rules, they don’t necessarily have right of way if a driver makes the first move. That’s horrible. How about an equal message that drivers need to come to a stop on red before turning right, need to yield to pedestrians with a walk signal including giving them enough time to cross, and need to show better respect for crosswalks?

I chuckled at the 3 minute mark too, by the way. For a story so skewed toward blaming pedestrians that’s a classic case of what I run into walking to and from work every single day. I just hope that the police makes that an emphasis tomorrow and not just jaywalkers.

ohbr
    Participant

I would like to just see the numbers. See how many are “if the pedestrian had done things differently” in a crosswalk and outside a crosswalk. The numbers may very well support a target enforcement of jaywalkers if a large majority of fatalities occur outside the crosswalks. This enforcement may very well be justified but it’s hard to make the determination whether they are victim blaming without seeing those numbers.

Regardless, there needs to be increased pedestrian access and safety across the city. I would love to see more pedestrian only crossings on many of our main thoroughfares with better lighting and signage that requires vehicles to stop altogether when pedestrians cross, with or without a vehicle intersection.

drew
    Participant

Frustrating that Columbus’ stance is that even if pedestrians follow the rules, they don’t necessarily have right of way if a driver makes the first move.

I didn’t take it like that. All I got was that they were warning pedestrians that if a car driver can’t see you, it naturally follows that it won’t operate as though it does. Struck me as though they were operating under the desire to mitigate loss of life/injury rather than make a statement of principle or law.

And, it seems a bit simplistic to leap from the statement that most pedestrian deaths involved some mistake on the part of the pedestrian – which could be true! – to taking it as though the police rep was suggesting that pedestrians are always to blame period and that motorists aren’t making mistakes in their interactions with pedestrians (because we all know that they are).

It is interesting to me that nobody reading this thread would gather that the actual point of the piece being referenced was that pedestrians get hit by cars more after daylight savings is in effect… which seems like a fairly innocuous and useful PSA.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I’m all for a belt campaign on East Broad. It’s really easy to be hit by a car when you have to waddle with your pants around your knees.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CB_downtowner wrote:</div>
    Frustrating that Columbus’ stance is that even if pedestrians follow the rules, they don’t necessarily have right of way if a driver makes the first move.

I didn’t take it like that. All I got was that they were warning pedestrians that if a car driver can’t see you, it naturally follows that it won’t operate as though it does. Struck me as though they were operating under the desire to mitigate loss of life/injury rather than make a statement of principle or law.

And, it seems a bit simplistic to leap from the statement that most pedestrian deaths involved some mistake on the part of the pedestrian – which could be true! – to taking it as though the police rep was suggesting that pedestrians are always to blame period and that motorists aren’t making mistakes in their interactions with pedestrians (because we all know that they are).

It is interesting to me that nobody reading this thread would gather that the actual point of the piece being referenced was that pedestrians get hit by cars more after daylight savings is in effect… which seems like a fairly innocuous and useful PSA.

The issue with the comments from CPD from various articles are that they seem to put the onus fully on pedestrians, not drivers.

Do pedestrians need better educated on safety? Sure. Do drivers break the law and jeopardize the lives of pedestrians far more often than pedestrians break the law? Absolutely. So why are we targeting pedestrians instead of drivers. The whole thing is akin to Ben Carson scolding school shooting victims for not charging the gunman.

OSURob
    Participant

RandomVisitor
    Participant

I agree with Drew – this is a useful PSA.

The reporter’s comment about taking the earbuds out and getting your phone out of your face is another useful PSA.

drew
    Participant

The issue with the comments from CPD from various articles are that they seem to put the onus fully on pedestrians, not drivers.

I suspect that’s because they’re focused on fatalities (as cops are wont to do), and it wouldn’t surprise me if the vast majority of the fatalities were the fault of the pedestrians. No doubt there are plenty of pedestrian injuries for which motorists are accountable (an ex of mine would be included among the wrongfully injured), but if a pedestrian is in front of a car going fast enough to kill them without a chance to stop or avoid them, chances are the pedestrian just plain fucked up.

ohbr
    Participant

FWIW: Disptach article clarifies that both pedestrians and vehicles are being targeted by officers.

drew
    Participant

FWIW: Disptach article clarifies that both pedestrians and vehicles are being targeted by officers.

Referenced article & video said same:

“Starting Tuesday, Columbus Police motorcycle units will be patrolling Downtown, looking for drivers and pedestrians not following the law.”

BUT DON’T LET THAT STOP US FROM BEING OUTRAGED!

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Let me ask you this….
    What kind of a different message would it send if there was a story that led with this: “Columbus PD increases enforcement of illegal turns and crosswalk violations.” This story like every PSA has focused primarily on pedestrians being more responsible, with a small footnote on drivers respecting pedestrian right of way.

I appreciate what the Columbus PD has done to drive pedestrian awareness. This is one of multiple enforcement blitzes and the primary message is always about pedestrians being more vigilant. I also credit them for adjusting the message to at least account for driver responsibility — several years ago, the message was “even if you follow the rules, drivers sometimes don’t, so you don’t have right of way even when you do.”

But when the dialogue skews heavily toward pedestrians it sends the wrong message to motorists. It empowers them to own the road and everyone else falls in line and you can attribute pedestrian risk to pesky jaywalkers. As a Columbus pedestrian, I know that Columbus is cracking down on jaywalkers. It’s been jammed into my face that they’re increasing tickets for this. Ok, good. But I have no assurance other than a few one-line statements that the same is happening for illegal turns and crosswalk violations or cars speeding past red lights. The enforcement blitz is good. But at some point the dial needs to turn up on motorist responsibility too.

drew
    Participant

Let me ask you this….<br>
    What kind of a different message would it send if there was a story that led with this: “Columbus PD increases enforcement of illegal turns and crosswalk violations.” This story like every PSA has focused primarily on pedestrians being more responsible, with a small footnote on drivers respecting pedestrian right of way.

I get you, it’s a click baity headline with a near-as-makes-no-difference editorialized misrepresentation of the police’s endeavor. It always takes actually reading and processing what was written/shown to separate the facts and understand the original point.

Which, if you look at the headline of this thread, OP clearly didn’t do (and others didn’t bother to look at it enough to realize otherwise).

I’m no huge fan (or foe) of the Columbus PD, but credit where credit is due. They’re policing both pedestrians and motorists, and 10tv sliced, diced, and rearranged it into something less balanced. That probably means that they think their skew on the matter appeals to their audience, which is perhaps disheartening, but I can’t say I’d expect any less from them and do think they’re the ones deserving of any criticism.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Let me ask you this….<br><br>

I get you, it’s a click baity headline with a near-as-makes-no-difference editorialized misrepresentation of the police’s endeavor. It always takes actually reading and processing what was written/shown to separate the facts and understand the original point.

Which, if you look at the headline of this thread, OP clearly didn’t do (and others didn’t bother to look at it enough to realize otherwise).

I’m no huge fan (or foe) of the Columbus PD, but credit where credit is due. They’re policing both pedestrians and motorists, and 10tv sliced, diced, and rearranged it into something less balanced. That probably means that they think their skew on the matter appeals to their audience, which is perhaps disheartening, but I can’t say I’d expect any less from them and do think they’re the ones deserving of any criticism.

I’m glad to know motorist responsibility is entering the picture, but it’s fairly new, and whether it was the media or Columbus PD it’s still an afterthought. I tend to think the latter since Columbus PD has been pushing the jaywalking message consistently for years across several enforcement blitzes. Previous blitzes didn’t even mention driver responsibility. So again, I’m glad to see progress. But it’s not even close to balanced.

While I’m glad to see motorist violations enter the picture, I need more proof than just a small talking point. The Columbus PD had a release earlier this year that spoke to increasing jaywalking tickets. I haven’t seen any hint that illegal turns / crosswalk violations are at all enforced. And I’d love to see this same PSA next year with a primary emphasis on crosswalks.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

I think the quotes from CPD speak for themselves:

“What we really want to do is prevent pedestrian violations, so we don’t have to write tickets tomorrow, and even more so, so we don’t have to go out there and work traffic fatalities tomorrow,” he said.

“It’s very rare that we have a pedestrian fatality where we cannot say, ‘well if the pedestrian had only done something differently, then they would have survived,” Wilson said.

WHAT? Sure if the pedestrian would have stayed in the house they would have survived but that doesn’t make them responsible for their death. I’m not sure how you can argue that they aren’t attempting to lay all responsibility on pedestrians. This to me signals that CPD sees pedestrian’s lives as the sole responsibility of the pedestrian, not the driver. We need a major shift in tone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: