Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus' parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus’ parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 886 through 897 (of 897 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Looks like the new plans are getting finalized…

Final Parking Meter Advisory Team Meeting Today

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Meter hike changed into aid for a hotel
    MONDAY, APRIL 26, 2010
    BY DOUG CARUSO
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

As business owners clashed with Columbus over a city plan to raise parking-meter rates to help finance a planned Downtown hotel, two questions kept coming up:

• How did building a Hilton next to the Greater Columbus Convention Center come to rely on how much change people drop into the city’s meters?

• Why does a hotel need public financing anyway?

READ MORE: http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/04/26/copy/meter-hike-changed-into-aid-for-a-hotel.html

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

I wish Hilton or the City of Columbus could hire ambassadors to explain to our irate visitors and customers why the City needs them to help pay for the hotel. Retailers, bars and restaurants will be getting an earful in the coming months.

Andrew Hall

lizless wrote >>
    I wish Hilton or the City of Columbus could hire ambassadors to explain to our irate visitors and customers why the City needs them to help pay for the hotel. Retailers, bars and restaurants will be getting an earful in the coming months.

That would assume a level of caring for which there is no evidence.

A.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lizless wrote >>

Personally, I don’t really have a problem with the city putting up $1.4M in reserve bonds for the backup financing for the hotel. (That’s less then 1% of the total cost of this $160M project).

The Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority is the main financier of the project, and I don’t think it’s uncommon for the City of Columbus to assist in funding a Franklin County project, as we all stand to benefit greatly from the additional revenue this can bring in from outside the region.

The real problem here is that parking meters alone were looked at as a revenue generator to fund this project. There’s no reason that retail businesses that utilize parking meters should have to foot this bill when the benefit will positively impact our entire region. If the city needs to pony up this $1.4M then we should have a funding mechanism that spreads that cost throughout the city a bit better. Parking Meters are not the answer for this type of thing.

Which is all the more reason why City Council needs to take control of setting parking meter rates again. Otherwise I fear that we’re going to be walking down this same path again when the next big development project comes along and the Public Service Department pulls this same stunt all over again without public input.

lifeliberty
    Participant

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/06/16/Parking-meter-rates-change.html?sid=101

City begins changing parking meter rates
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 04:01 PM
    By Robert Vitale

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
    Unlike that rate increase, this change has stirred no fuss among business owners in the Short North, Downtown or other affected areas.

takeasiesta

I’ve actually kept track of how much the meters cost. In the Short North if you put a quarter into the meters you get 30 min. I was near 5th and High outside of What the Rock. When I’ve gone to Gay St. for lunch or to go to Tip Top I think it was a nickel got you 4 minutes. So the meters are not consistent at all.

cc

Are the meters around Capital Square still free after 6pm?

eta:

read the last proposal and it seems that it is free.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cc wrote >>
    Are the meters around Capital Square still free after 6pm?
    eta:
    read the last proposal and it seems that it is free.

I’d doublecheck if I were you. I think Gay Street meters may stay on til 10pm:

Parking Meter Rates Being Updated, Hours Extended

cc

It would be nice if they could provide a more specific map on a website showing what the rates/ enforcement times of the different areas are. Oh well, atleast the rates are reasonable.

futureman
    Participant

Looks like Cincinnati is doubling meters raters to $2.50 per hour across all of the downtown area! (enforced till 6pm)

Cincinnati City Council doubles Downtown parking meter fees
    BY JANE PRENDERGAST
    [email protected]
    JUNE 30, 2010

Council voted 5-4 to double the cost of parking meters Downtown to $2 an hour and 50 cents elsewhere, based on a consultant’s study that found the city needs more parking revenue to upgrade city-owned garages.

Councilman Chris Monzel, who voted against the hike, argued that increasing the cost would only make people less likely to want to come Downtown: “Last time I checked, Kenwood Towne Centre has free parking.” Councilman Chris Bortz, who put forth the increases, said research shows that Downtown is not in direct competition with suburban malls.

READ MORE

Viewing 12 posts - 886 through 897 (of 897 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE