Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus' parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus’ parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 871 through 885 (of 897 total)
  • Author

gk

rus wrote >>

HeySquare wrote >>
    The longer I live in Columbus, the more I realize why people are afraid of downtown, and whisper with real fear: “but what about parking?” I suspect ticketing zealotry has been a major factor.

I suspect you’re right; this is a car town. People drive. If they can’t leave their car someplace without worrying about enriching the cities coffers then why go there? There’s lots of other places where that isn’t a worry.

I honestly think it has more to do with the general lack of retail and other unique attractions downtown than parking meters which prevent people from coming downtown these days. During City Center’s heyday, people came downtown despite having to pay for parking or worrying about parking tickets.

lifeliberty
    Participant

Oh come on! I never said I was perfect, but now that you mention it…

It’s not really frustrating, I can’t control what others do, I can only control what I do and I know this. It’s a very high priority for me to not get a ticket so i make that a high priority above the other things happening in my life at the time.

and yeah, time expires and I do expect a ticket. it’s a wonder that people are shocked by this. as with anything else, any law I break I expect repercussions from it, or at the very least I wouldn’t be surprised that I got a ticket. Personal responsibility needs to be excercised more.

I agree that parking meters should not be about revenue generation.

rus
    rus
    Participant

gk wrote >>

rus wrote >>

HeySquare wrote >>
    The longer I live in Columbus, the more I realize why people are afraid of downtown, and whisper with real fear: “but what about parking?” I suspect ticketing zealotry has been a major factor.

I suspect you’re right; this is a car town. People drive. If they can’t leave their car someplace without worrying about enriching the cities coffers then why go there? There’s lots of other places where that isn’t a worry.

I honestly think it has more to do with the general lack of retail and other unique attractions downtown than parking meters which prevent people from coming downtown these days. During City Center’s heyday, people came downtown despite having to pay for parking or worrying about parking tickets.

Didn’t most people who went to city center use the parking garage?

lifeliberty
    Participant

yeah. it was cheaper than meters and you didn’t have to worry about tickets.

Columbusite

Why shouldn’t meters be used for revenue as long as it’s going back to improve the area from where the money was collected? Going into a general fund is nonsense, since the money will likely then benefit the sprawling outskirts of the city where lots of money is already being spent, while the areas generating the revenue see nothing. That possibility should not exist. If the city/Mark Kelsey insists on doubling meter rates then the least the city/Mark Kelsey can do is to ensure that a majority of the revenue generated has to be spent on the street where that money was made. Though I would like to see businesses pushing for that already.

gk

rus wrote >>

gk wrote >>

rus wrote >>

HeySquare wrote >>

I was responding to the general issue of parking raised in the above post as keeping people away from downtown. I just don’t think that argument carries that much weight.

KSquared

gk wrote >>

rus wrote >>

gk wrote >>

rus wrote >>

HeySquare wrote >>

I was responding to the general issue of parking raised in the thread as keeping people away from downtown. I just don’t think that argument carries that much weight.

Completely anecdotal, but parking is the #1 reason I hear from people as to why they don’t want to go downtown. Many people in the burbs firmly believe that downtown is hard to navigate and that there is no place to park.

rus
    rus
    Participant

gk wrote >>

rus wrote >>

gk wrote >>

rus wrote >>

HeySquare wrote >>

I was responding to the general issue of parking raised in the thread as keeping people away from downtown. I just don’t think that argument carries that much weight.

Ah ok.

Well, in my case I’ve driven past a number of places ( Dirty Franks & Northstar Cafe spring to mind ) that I’d liked to have checked out but “where do I park?” has kept me from doing so.

Northstar on High at least has their own lot, so one of the times I checked them out I did stop there ( and would have left for someplace else, like all the other times, if there hadn’t been a slot open ).

sixby9is42

KSquared wrote >>

gk wrote >>

rus wrote >>

gk wrote >>

rus wrote >>

HeySquare wrote >>

Completely anecdotal, but parking is the #1 reason I hear from people as to why they don’t want to go downtown. Many people in the burbs firmly believe that downtown is hard to navigate and that there is no place to park.

I haven’t heard so much that downtown is hard to navigate…maybe hard to find an open parking spot that isn’t a 3-5 minute walk from the actual destination.

Convenience is king.

gk

People in Columbus have shown that parking is not a major factor in their decision to come downtown if we offer something that they can’t otherwise get in the suburbs or is superior to or substantially different from anything they can get in the suburbs, as exemplified by the thousands that venture downtown for Blue Jacket games, Clippers’ games, the arts festival, latino festival, jazz festival, red, white and boom, broadway shows, Columbus symphony, etc. We have lost many “destination places” over the past decade, such as City Center which offered a unique shopping experience for many years, the Garage – one of the hottest dance clubs in the city during its heyday, Out-on-Main, Brownstone, etc. . – which brought thousands downtown on a regular, weekly basis, including evenings.

KSquared

@sixby9is42 I’ve heard that in relation to one way streets. Parking is the much more prevalent discussion though. I agree with the convenience statement.

rus
    rus
    Participant

gk wrote >>
    People in Columbus have shown that parking is not a major factor in their decision to come downtown if we offer something that they can’t otherwise get in the suburbs or is superior to or substantially different from anything they can get in the suburbs, as exemplified by the thousands that venture downtown for Blue Jacket games, Clippers’ games, the arts festival, latino festival, jazz festival, red, white and boom, broadway shows, Columbus symphony, etc. We have lost many “destination places” over the past decade, such as City Center which offered a unique shopping experience for many years, the Garage – one of the hottest dance clubs in the city during its heyday, Out-on-Main, Brownstone, etc. . – which brought thousands downtown on a regular, weekly basis, including evenings.

Not sure about dance clubs, but all those events seem to have parking covered, one way or another. Last art festival I went to I had to drive past numerous people all too willing to rent me parking spot.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

I think the meters down here are getting worse.
    I hopped into N. Star the other day for lunch and added some time to the meter and it said something like 47 minutes. Now I know they’re fast so after about 35 minutes I turned to Mishelle and said I think I need to add some more time. And she’s all like “no way” we’ve only been here like 35 minutes and I said well let me go check. And the dam thing was expired. I added a quarter for more time and it didn’t add any time. I was like WTF? So I dug in for a dime and added it still no time added. So I ran back in and told her we have to go because we are gonna get a ticket if we don’t get out of Dodge.
    I work and play downtown and consider myself a pretty savvy downtown parker and they almost got me!
    The poor saps who aren’t down here all the time have no chance.

Brant
    Participant

lizless wrote >>
    I wish I kept track of how many drinks or appetizers or meals we have comped because the meter attendants have been so rude to our customers. We have had folks run out to put more quarters in their meter only to find a meter attendant standing there waiting for their meter to expire. Adding insult to injury, meter attendants will then make rude comments to them. It’s amazing the City refuses to acknowledge how awful our meter attendants are. It’s the number one complaint of our visitors downtown and in the Short North.

You comp patrons’ food and drinks for circumstances over which you have no control and aren’t responsible? That’s some serious goodwill.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

HeySquare wrote >>

Agreed. I just went out to meet up with some friends at Surly Girl last night. I rode the bus, but everyone else drove to the event, mostly from the burbs. I was one of the first to arrive, and nearly everyone else was calling each other asking where to park. One guy was saying that he didn’t know if the spot he parked was ok, but shrugged off the possibility of getting a ticket as being an ok thing because he doesn’t venture Downtown very often. I was really surprised to hear every single person at the table complaining about how hard it is to park in the Short North. Especially since Surly has parking spots in the Goody Boy lot, and many of the streets around it have no restrictions other than summer street cleaning once a month.

gk wrote >>
    I honestly think it has more to do with the general lack of retail and other unique attractions downtown than parking meters which prevent people from coming downtown these days.

Sounds like a bit of a chicken & egg scenario. Did retailers leave because their customers didn’t want to deal with parking? Would overhauling parking possibly bring some of them back? I certainly don’t think it would hurt to take a good look at some downtown parking reform and how it affects our retail efforts.

Porky wrote >>
    The dam thing was expired. I added a quarter for more time and it didn’t add any time. I was like WTF? So I dug in for a dime and added it still no time added. So I ran back in and told her we have to go because we are gonna get a ticket if we don’t get out of Dodge.

The same thing happened to me not too long ago on Long Street. Put an hour’s worth of money in. Came back 30 minutes later to find that the meter was reading expired and I had a ticket issued a few minutes prior to that. I called the contact number on the ticket, chose the option for broken meters, and left a VM explaining the issue and providing the meter number. A few days later I got a letter in the mail saying my ticket was being waived and that the meter was being repaired.

Brant Jones wrote >>
    You comp patrons’ food and drinks for circumstances over which you have no control and aren’t responsible? That’s some serious goodwill.

A bad experience with a parking meter can leave a lasting impression on customers and prevent them from wanting to return. I think a comped meal could leave a good enough impression to counterbalance that and bring them back again. It’s a smart business decision in addition to serious goodwill. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 871 through 885 (of 897 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE