Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus' parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus’ parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 897 total)
  • Author

Columbusite

Weren’t there supposed to be meetings about parking meter hike alternatives?

cyclist II
    Participant

Just watched the movie Cool Hand Luke, the first scene is Luke cutting the heads off parking meters.

I think I would be a great meter maid. I would love to penalize those who try to dominate our civic space with automobiles.

roy
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

lizless wrote >>
    I think there’s some Short North footage of Elwood Ziegler, the well known meter dude for the Short North…need to find it!

I bet there’s more than just one. I say we put out the call for videos of rude meter attendants.

We’ve seen Elwood more than once standing in High Street on the Cap next to a hapless motorist in their car, Elwood Ziegler screaming and gesticulating. I tried to cue up my new-at-the-time video phone but the light changed and people started honking and we didn’t get the footage either time. The thing is, he knew people were watching and trying to take photos and he didn’t even care. The Cap meters have confusing signage and lots of well-intentioned meter users make mistakes. There are certain peak prohibited hours, some valet tow-away hours, and other fine print you’d better read or your car may not be there after you grab a coffee at Cup O Joe. Confused motorists seem to enrage Elwood and he isn’t shy about expressing himself. Does the City have rules of conduct for these workers or are they exempt? I’ve witnessed enough wacky behavior firsthand to be concerned. Maybe Elwood would be happier on third trick at the sewage treatment plant and the mayor would consider more parking enforcement officers like the nice businesslike-yet-friendly woman they sometimes team with Zig, she’s serious about her work but she lacks the crazy hateful factor Elwood embodies.

Let’s face it, though. The City raised ~3 mil in ’08 meter revenue but earned nearly twice that in parking tickets. No wonder Kelsey doesn’t want to invest in new smart meter heads. Data shows that smart meter heads generate more meter revenue but fewer tickets.

cc

I think there is need for documented proof of rude meter maids and put it up somewhere like youtube. I agree that rudeness should be documented and not tolerated.

I have met them waiting at my car near meter expiration but that is their job. A lot of the altercations I have seen involved people not understanding the parking restrictions and accosting the meter maids looking to avoid the ticket. It is a stressful situation and one best served by cool headed meter maids who know when to say there is nothing they can do and move along. I think the added valet parking BS does not help matters.

lifeliberty
    Participant

I have never gotten a parking ticket in Columbus or been hasseled by parking enforcement for expired time on a meter. Just make sure there is time on the meter and you won’t have a problem. I really don’t get people not understanding this. time expires = you get a ticket…is that really a hard concept to understand?

As for rude meter maids, they need to be reassigned or fired. Firing is hard because I suspect they are in a union.

drew
    Participant

lifeliberty wrote >>
    Just make sure there is time on the meter and you won’t have a problem. I really don’t get people not understanding this. time expires = you get a ticket…is that really a hard concept to understand?.

Not true. They can ticket you for far more than just an expired meter, and you certainly don’t need to be at a meter to get a ticket either.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I don’t understand how someone with a badass name like Elwood could be such a twat.

When I lived in the SN I often wanted to hit him with poison blow darts or like toss a bee hive in his state tan blazer and somehow lock him inside.

lifeliberty
    Participant

drew wrote >>

lifeliberty wrote >>
    Just make sure there is time on the meter and you won’t have a problem. I really don’t get people not understanding this. time expires = you get a ticket…is that really a hard concept to understand?.

Not true. They can ticket you for far more than just an expired meter, and you certainly don’t need to be at a meter to get a ticket either.

While this may be true, the jist of what I was saying was Get your shit in order and quit blaming others for your problems!

drew
    Participant

lifeliberty wrote >>

drew wrote >>

lifeliberty wrote >>

While this may be true, the jist of what I was saying was Get your shit in order and quit blaming others for your problems!

I can’t tell you how many meters I’ve parked at that have had the ‘hours of operations’ stickers torn off, or how often the plastic on the meter is so clouded or fogged up that I can’t see how much it costs or even how much time I’ve put in. Or how often the street signage near the meter is contradictory to the info on the meter.

I swear some of it is intentionally confusing. And, as roy said, why would the city worry about such things when the tickets are more profitable than the meter fees?

myliftkk
    Participant

lizless wrote >>
    The City continues to dispute rude or aggressive ticketing and behavior by meter attendants. Seriously.
    http://theotherpaper.com/articles/2010/03/04/front/doc4b8fe8bc83237048877159.txt

@Liz

Has the city clarified whether they need to raise 1.4m gross, or 1.4m/yr recurring (something that never seems to be answered by reporting with any real background)?

My question still is whether they are 1) truly flexible on the how, and 2) willing to back up the final how with actual economic theory/studies that show they will achieve their goal without causing broad economic damage (which would endanger their goal anyhow)?

somertimeoh
    Participant

myliftkk wrote >>

lizless wrote >>
    The City continues to dispute rude or aggressive ticketing and behavior by meter attendants. Seriously.
    http://theotherpaper.com/articles/2010/03/04/front/doc4b8fe8bc83237048877159.txt

@Liz
    Has the city clarified whether they need to raise 1.4m gross, or 1.4m/yr recurring (something that never seems to be answered by reporting with any real background)?
    My question still is whether they are 1) truly flexible on the how, and 2) willing to back up the final how with actual economic theory/studies that show they will achieve their goal without causing broad economic damage (which would endanger their goal anyhow)?

They city has to get $1.4MM in the bank by the deadline and then prove it could earn that $1.4MM each additional year, if needed, for the hotel. Once the $1.4MM is hit, the additional revenue would be used to replace the fleet with updated meters. After that the money goes in to the city’s general fund.

ETA: As to how flexible the city is, I think we’ll know more on Tuesday. I wasn’t able to attend the last meeting, but I assume it was more talking at and not real discussion. Again, just as assumption. They still don’t seem too concerned with the impact it could have on small biz, they’re just focused on how to get that money.

It’s important to note that ONLY meter revenue (coins in the machines) can be used to raise this money, NOT ticket revenue. Why? You can’t guarantee that people will break the law. But you can guarantee people will pay higher rates when we already only have a 35% occupancy rate? Figure that one out :)

myliftkk
    Participant

drew wrote >>

lifeliberty wrote >>

drew wrote >>

lifeliberty wrote >>

I can’t tell you how many meters I’ve parked at that have had the ‘hours of operations’ stickers torn off, or how often the plastic on the meter is so clouded or fogged up that I can’t see how much it costs or even how much time I’ve put in. Or how often the street signage near the meter is contradictory to the info on the meter.
    I swear some of it is intentionally confusing. And, as roy said, why would the city worry about such things when the tickets are more profitable than the meter fees?

The city wouldn’t, but we should. Parking meter enforcement is at it’s most basic is an extension of government-directed economic policy aimed at maximizing non-governmental economic activity in specific areas by controlling access in limited access areas. Rates, tickets, etc are simply a means to enforce this control of access. If this morphs, in a city’s view, from primarily an arm of economic policy whose benefits are directed outward to instead a revenue funnel directed inwards towards the maw of city coffers, then the city’s decision-making and the actions they support are going to primarily serve the city’s interests first, and the non-governmental economic activity second. I’ll argue that instead of maximizing economic activity and secondarily maximizing enforcement revenues, if the policy instead becomes one of maximizing revenue in ignorance of effect on activity, then it runs the real risk of depressing both.

drew
    Participant

@mylifkk – well said. As far as I’m concerned, the city has long ago ceased to view parking enforcement as merely ‘maximizing non-governmental economic activity in specific areas by controlling access in limited access areas’. The real question in my mind is how far are they willing to go away from that concept (seems to me to be pretty damned far), and will they do it in such a way that it becomes, as you suggest, counterproductive not only for the businesses the entire scheme was constructed to help but ultimately in terms of meter usage and collections as well.

HeySquare
    Participant

lifeliberty wrote >>
    I have never gotten a parking ticket in Columbus or been hasseled by parking enforcement for expired time on a meter. Just make sure there is time on the meter and you won’t have a problem. I really don’t get people not understanding this. time expires = you get a ticket…is that really a hard concept to understand?

It must be nice to be perfect. How frustrating for you, living in a world where the rest of us mere mortals run late, run out of quarters, forget umbrellas, get delayed, or lose track of time.

I think it is a little ingenuous to say “time expires=you get a ticket”. There are plenty of laws that are enforced with an eye to the spirit, not the letter of the law: speeding over the limit, underage drinking, kids out past curfew, jaywalking, cyclists crossing red lights, and people not picking up their dog’s poop in the park… all those things are illegal too, but we don’t see cadres of brown shirts out handing poop tickets in the park. It’s not to say that these laws aren’t enforced, but it is to say that enforcement is targeted with an eye to public safety and public good. Speed traps at school zones remind us all to slow down for the kids… but we don’t have the po-po out on the highways tagging anyone who hits 66mph.

Parking meters were never supposed to be about revenue generation. They were established so that parking spaces located in high demand areas would turn over with some frequency. The longer I live in Columbus, the more I realize why people are afraid of downtown, and whisper with real fear: “but what about parking?” I suspect ticketing zealotry has been a major factor.

rus
    rus
    Participant

HeySquare wrote >>
    The longer I live in Columbus, the more I realize why people are afraid of downtown, and whisper with real fear: “but what about parking?” I suspect ticketing zealotry has been a major factor.

I suspect you’re right; this is a car town. People drive. If they can’t leave their car someplace without worrying about enriching the cities coffers then why go there? There’s lots of other places where that isn’t a worry.

Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 897 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: