Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus' parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus’ parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 897 total)
  • Author

I pay to park downtown for work. Otherwise, I try to avoid downtown. Everything that I would want to do is located outside the city. Therefore, the meter rate increase has no impact on me.

dirtgirl
    Participant

There are so many other more sensible ways they could have approached this. Why not increase the rates in areas where $.25 currently gets you 30 minutes and leave the expensive meters (Gay St) alone?

Why not do what an earlier poster suggested and raise the fees to turn public streets into valet parking?

Why not add metered spots in up-and-coming shopping/entertainment districts (parts of Clintonville, more of German Village, Grandview, etc), but starting at affordable ($.25 for 30 minute) rates?

The way this is being done it seems to punish Gay Street and the rest of downtown completely disproportionately when that area is struggling to establish itself as a destination while other areas are still (relative) parking bargains.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

This is so full of fail. Really Columbus, 25 cents for 3 minutes? Really??? It’s easy to see why many core cities have managed to destroy themselves when they don’t consider collateral damage, just like what’s happening here.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

I’m gonna try real hard to NOT use any downtown meters from here on out…
    I figure the best way to get @ ‘em is to not use the meters, so North Market parking lot, Nationwide garage, campus parking lots here I come.

patient_zero
    Participant

Experience Columbus may need to update their Downtown video. Just a little clip at the end of the video with Cleve saying, “And bring a fist full of quarters with you”!

blammo
    Participant

Porky wrote >>
    I’m gonna try real hard to NOT use any downtown meters from here on out…
    I figure the best way to get @ ‘em is to not use the meters, so North Market parking lot, Nationwide garage, campus parking lots here I come.

Agreed, my game is gonna be to not put one dime into a meter from now on, but to still go to every single place downtown that I care to patronize. I suspect there’s only two ways the instigators of this rate hike are going to realize the error of their ways, either through the mass extinction of downtown businesses or when they discover absolutely no increase in revenue. I’m shooting for the latter.

Dammit though…i might carry a pocketful of change with me because I know I’m going to one particular spot and can estimate how long I will spend there, but it certainly cancels any notions of parking your car at a meter & wandering around downtown for hours exploring. People are gonna park, jam as little change into the meter as they can get away with, and try to race back before it expires & they get a ticket.

Bear
    Participant

Can’t wait until those guys who hang out guiding people to spaces in the Short North parking lots figure out the new business opportunity that this creates downtown:

QUARTERS: THREE FOR A DOLLAR

The Hegemo

dirtgirl wrote >>
    There are so many other more sensible ways they could have approached this. Why not increase the rates in areas where $.25 currently gets you 30 minutes and leave the expensive meters (Gay St) alone?

This.

I usually park on Goodale, next to the park, for Blue Jackets games. I usually get there before the meters go off at 6PM, so I have to put some money in, and I believe at these meters it’s something like an hour for a quarter. Why not raise these rates rather than go to this absurd 3 minutes for a quarter on Gay St.? There’s definitely a demand for these spaces, so why not make it 50 cents for an hour at least? I know I’d still continue to park there and pay the meters as opposed to paying $8 to park in the Convention Center garage.

patient_zero
    Participant

As someone who works downtown and patronizes downtown establishments, I feel like I’m being kicked in the chops. I commute downtown and park at 12 hour meters quite a distance away from my employer. The 12 hour meters were less expensive than the local parking lots, but that won’t be the case now. And I imagine as people start flocking to some of the local lots, they will raise their prices to take advantage of the parking frenzy. I used to carry a pocket full of quarters that would last almost a week, but I’m thinking I’ll need 2 rolls of quarters to work, dine and shop downtown – maybe more!

If I were to leave my car at the 12 hour meters on Main Street and grab a bus to shop and dine in the Short North, it would be an exhausting walk back to my car from Main and High Main and Grant after a day of work, shopping and dining. I’m not liking that idea at all.

John Angelo of the SNBA suggested the city “could raise more parking-meter money by tinkering with meter hours and selective rate changes than with the proposed across-the-board increase”. I hate this idea. So you want me to come to the Short North and spend my time and money, but you want me to do it quickly so other people can get to the meters? I think the 6:00 expiration is fine, thank you. Why would I want to run back to my car just to finish shopping and dining in the Short North? If this happens then I can assure I’ll find alternative venues where I don’t have to pay out of the nose and scramble for parking.

The one positive side-effect this might have is people getting more exercise after parking a little farther away than usual to pay for less expensive meters. That-s a silver lining, right? I remember being so proud of myself that I had found the meters at CCAD where a quarter got you 45 minutes or so. I believe they were 30 minutes last time I checked meaning now you get a measly 15 minutes, but still better than 3 if you can factor in the walk.

roy
    Participant

patient_zero wrote >> John Angelo of the SNBA suggested the city “could raise more parking-meter money by tinkering with meter hours and selective rate changes than with the proposed across-the-board increase”. I hate this idea. So you want me to come to the Short North and spend my time and money, but you want me to do it quickly so other people can get to the meters?

How did you translate what John Angelo said into that?!

cc

The three minute for 25 cent meters are a travesty. I would love a meter boycott but doubt it will work. How much is the old City Center garage now?

patient_zero
    Participant

Columbusite wrote >>
    The one positive side-effect this might have is people getting more exercise after parking a little farther away than usual to pay for less expensive meters. That-s a silver lining, right?

I don’t mind walking, but I’m on my feet all day at work walking constantly. So like I said, leaving the car close to Franklin University, walking to High Street and catching a bus to the Short North – only to do it all over again with a bag of groceries, a full belly and maybe a slight buzz doesn’t appeal to me at all.

patient_zero
    Participant

roy wrote >>

patient_zero wrote >> John Angelo of the SNBA suggested the city “could raise more parking-meter money by tinkering with meter hours and selective rate changes than with the proposed across-the-board increase”. I hate this idea. So you want me to come to the Short North and spend my time and money, but you want me to do it quickly so other people can get to the meters?

How did you translate what John Angelo said into that?!

This is an excerpt from the Dispatch article you posted on the first page of this thread.

Short North Business Association Executive Director John Angelo, who struggles daily with the problem of potential patrons of Short North businesses being scared off by parking difficulties, says the city could raise more parking-meter money by tinkering with meter hours and selective rate changes than with the proposed across-the-board increase.

Unless I’m reading it wrong, the “tinkering with meter hours” is John’s idea. If this does happen, regardless of who’s idea it is, I’ll limit my time in the Short North if they extend meter time to 9:00 or later.

gsmitty

I don’t understand why everybody is so up in arms about this rate increase. Doesn’t this just encourage more people to ride a bicycle?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 897 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: