Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus' parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus’ parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 897 total)
  • Author

Rockmastermike
    Participant

ja wrote >>

drew wrote >>

ja wrote >>
    If you don’t want to pay for parking, stay in the suburbs.

And if everyone does that, you don’t see a problem?

Not everyone has a problem with paying for parking downtown, particularly people who come from real cities. Therefore, there will still be plenty of people drawn to downtown and trendy urban areas irrespective of parking meter increases.

a point that has been made several times in this thread (once by me, in an effort to reassure folks that not all of us will stop coming).

myliftkk
    Participant

ja wrote >>
    I don’t think the meter increases are unreasonable. Depending on how long you intend to be downtown, it may be more economical to use the meters at times or it may be more economical to use a parking garage. If you don’t want to pay for parking, stay in the suburbs. We typically take a cab or use valet parking. Very convenient.

Reasonable… hmmm. So, to collect $25m+ over & above new expenses of let’s say $5m+, or say an 80% profit margin, is reasonable (a portion of that which attritions off, leaving an even wider profit margin in one year)? That sounds about as reasonable as McArthur’s insistence we bomb China.

I dare say, your definition of reasonable, is unreasonable. :)

Rockmastermike
    Participant

myliftkk wrote >>

ja wrote >>
    I don’t think the meter increases are unreasonable. Depending on how long you intend to be downtown, it may be more economical to use the meters at times or it may be more economical to use a parking garage. If you don’t want to pay for parking, stay in the suburbs. We typically take a cab or use valet parking. Very convenient.

Reasonable… hmmm. So, to collect $25m+ over & above new expenses of let’s say $5m+, or say an 80% profit margin, is reasonable (a portion of that which attritions off, leaving an even wider profit margin in one year)? That sounds about as reasonable as McArthur’s insistence we bomb China.

on an unrelated note… using the valets is not a good idea either. Last time we used the valets they didn’t bother to lock our car doors and the car had been clearly ransacked when they returned it to us. They didn’t even bother to close the trunk when they drove it back to us… driving around with the trunk flapping in the wind up high street… The valets won’t be seeing any more of my cash anytime soon. The f**kta*d even still acted like he expected a tip.

ja

myliftkk wrote >>

ja wrote >>

And that profit will go towards landing Columbus a much needed full-service hotel downtown to attract larger conventions and tourists as well as high-tech parking meters that accept credit cards. Again, I think that is a reasonable tradeoff. It’s not as though Mayor Coleman and his girlfriend are going to abscond with the money raised from parking meters and take off to the Cayman Islands.

myliftkk
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

ja wrote >>

on an unrelated note… using the valets is not a good idea either. Last time we used the valets they didn’t bother to lock our car doors and the car had been clearly ransacked when they returned it to us. They didn’t even bother to close the trunk when they drove it back to us… driving around with the trunk flapping in the wind up high street… The valets won’t be seeing any more of my cash anytime soon. The f**kta*d even still acted like he expected a tip.

Thus confirming my fear of valets…

ja

Rockmastermike wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

ja wrote >>

Obviously, we have used valets much more than you, given your one-time experience, and have never had any problems with car theft or vandalism. Should someone have their wallet stolen while in the Short North, is that reason for people to stay away because it’s a “high-crime” area.

Andrew Hall

Rockmastermike wrote >>

ja wrote >>

drew wrote >>

ja wrote >>

Not everyone has a problem with paying for parking downtown, particularly people who come from real cities. Therefore, there will still be plenty of people drawn to downtown and trendy urban areas irrespective of parking meter increases.

a point that has been made several times in this thread (once by me, in an effort to reassure folks that not all of us will stop coming).

Why do people keep thinking that they know more about the aggregate behavior of customers than people who have businesses affected by this?

I will go back to what I said before – it is a dangerous fallacy to assume that other people think just like you, especially if you run a business. One has to observe and learn from the customer and not make assumptions that what you will put up with is acceptable.

We’ve got a customer base and vendors that have almost zero intersection with CU. We also have some free street parking as well as a small lot. There is continual bitching about the hassle of coming downtown even without worrying about parking meters. I think I can speak pretty well as to the how potential customers perceive Downtown and make reasonable, non-personal projections.

If one more obstacle is put in the potential customer’s way, there is going to be a diminishment of business by some percentage. Right now, even a small percentage is too much.

A.

drew
    Participant

ja wrote >>

drew wrote >>

ja wrote >>

…and what percentage of people living in Columbus come from ‘real cities’?

Oh, you have no idea?

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

ja wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

ja wrote >>

And that profit will go towards landing Columbus a much needed full-service hotel downtown to attract larger conventions and tourists as well as high-tech parking meters that accept credit cards. Again, I think that is a reasonable tradeoff. It’s not as though Mayor Coleman and his girlfriend are going to abscond with the money raised from parking meters and take off to the Cayman Islands.

And what good will that new hotel do if there is nothing to do in town? Of course, a good many conventioneers never leave the convention center. But, nearby activities are important to convention organizing committees. If they come to visit Columbus and see that downtown is a ghost town they will choose another city.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

ja wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

ja wrote >>

Obviously, we have used valets much more than you, given your one-time experience, and have never had any problems with car theft or vandalism. Should someone have their wallet stolen while in the Short North, is that reason for people to stay away because it’s a “high-crime” area.

So the valets have no responsibility as a professional company to secure the cars they parked? I can see if the window was broken out. But doors unlocked?

ja

drew wrote >>

ja wrote >>

drew wrote >>

ja wrote >>

…and what percentage of people living in Columbus come from ‘real cities’?
    Oh, you have no idea?

Based on our own personal experience in Columbus over the past 25 years, all of our friends, except one or two, are not from Columbus. They come from New York, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Miami, LA, San Diego, Chicago, Cleveland – so we presume that there are quite alot of people that come from real cities that are living now in Columbus. Ohio State University and the Limited Stores and other such retail play a huge part in attracting people from other cities, especially New York for those in retail.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

And your evidence, beyond opinion?

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    Why do people keep thinking that they know more about the aggregate behavior of customers than people who have businesses affected by this?

earlier in a reply to ja I stated something along the lines of “from a consumer point of view this is no big deal”. and then in the next paragraph stated something about “but most people here are not consumers but SELLERS, and it IS a big deal to them because THEY know their customers will spend an extra two dollars in gas to avoid a dollar in parking fees”.

Yes, I get it.

I also get that Ja is just pushing the same button over and over and getting a rise out of people for his own reasons.

ja

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

ja wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

ja wrote >>

So the valets have no responsibility as a professional company to secure the cars they parked? I can see if the window was broken out. But doors unlocked?

You’ll need to consult with a lawyer on that one.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

ja wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

ja wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

ja wrote >>

You’ll need to consult with a lawyer on that one.

You seem to have an opinion on everything else, why not this?

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 897 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: