Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus' parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus’ parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 616 through 630 (of 897 total)
  • Author

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

dirtgirl wrote >>
    I paid 8 quarters to park for an hour and 20 minutes on Chestnut and High yesterday (pre-increase rate). And mine was the only car on the block. While I sat in my car finishing off my lunch, I saw two different people drive up, get out to pay the meter, only to get back in their car and leave. If this is their way of increasing parking revenue, I think they’re going to be disappointed. Nobody carries that much change.

Those meters are still the old rates. Once they are switched over, the new rate will cost 16 quarters.

ZHC

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    Another way to vote is with my feet.
    A.

That is my deepest fear . In my experience the people are Columbus are nice folk, they don’t like fights. When something happens they don’t like, they just often go somewhere else if they can. To those wanting an urban experience or seimi-urban experience, this sort of thing lets suburbs like Gahanna and Dublin that planning/developing faux downtowns back in the game.

The way this has been handled has done intense damage to the city’s image among the small business community. That sort of perception can take years to undo.When you are an entreprenuer you have to a fair amount of confidence that you will succeed otherwise you’d never risk your life’s savings, and your bank has to also.

this is a travesty because it is so unecessary, so avoidable and so fixable.

I said it before I’ll say it again. I don’t care whose fault this may or may not be. Let’s fix it and do it the right way NOW before it’s too late so we all (businesses, convention center, residents and city gov’t ) can win.

KSquared

rus wrote >>

Roland wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    I will gladly vote for a Republican for Council or Mayor.
    A.

+1
    I have no loyalty to any party.

One would hope a lot of people share that sentiment.

I know I do. I won’t stop going downtown but I also won’t stop letting the current administration know what I think about the way they are handling this and would not hesitate to vote for a candidate who is committed to our urban core, regardless of party affiliation.

dirtgirl
    Participant

ZHC wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>

That is my deepest fear.

The other day I was doing MORPC’s regional plan survey and there was a question about what sets Columbus apart from other cities, and at the time I was totally stumped. Upon reflection, I realized that for me at least, it’s the unique and interesting mix of small businesses and restaurants. What I find so unfortunate about this meter situation is that the City doesn’t seem to place the same value on that uniqueness. I get the sense that they’d rather deal with shopping mall developers and have PF Chang’s and CVS on every block than nurture its homegrown businesses. And that sucks.

myliftkk
    Participant

So I’m going to ask, since no one else has to my knowledge. If you are upset by this process, or by this issue, please contact your council members/mayor/dispatch by whatever method you prefer. It is imperative that they hear from more than just the most vocal stakeholders. We can’t all be Shakespeares, but even a one or two line email conveying your opinion on the matter can help push this issue.

Tigertree

ZHC wrote

The way this has been handled has done intense damage to the city’s image among the small business community. That sort of perception can take years to undo.When you are an entreprenuer you have to a fair amount of confidence that you will succeed otherwise you’d never risk your life’s savings, and your bank has to also.

I have a new concept that I was going to put in the Short North that is looking at other options right now, and I don’t mind sharing that one of those options is Easton. When my choices are a development that only cares about making it easier for retailers to make money, and a city that doesn’t seem to care at all, I’ll take the first option.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

myliftkk wrote >>
    So I’m going to ask, since no one else has to my knowledge. If you are upset by this process, or by this issue, please contact your council members/mayor/dispatch by whatever method you prefer. It is imperative that they hear from more than just the most vocal stakeholders. We can’t all be Shakespeares, but even a one or two line email conveying your opinion on the matter can help push this issue.

+1

myliftkk
    Participant

Thory wrote >>
    Walker for city council.

Don’t joke, that could definitely be a plan b. ;)

myliftkk
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    A.

There’s also throwing support to primary challengers and new political blood on both sides. People shouldn’t overlook that.

Tigertree

lizless wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

+1

+2
    I think there is an assumption on Coleman’s part that this is going to just go away. This can still be stopped. The only reason this is not being stopped is a bunch of guys that are worried about their political careers being hurt because they look like they don’t know what they are doing.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

myliftkk wrote >>

Thory wrote >>
    Walker for city council.

Har har. You guys figure out how to extend the cycle of a day to 32 hours and I’ll run for City Council. ;)

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

Thory wrote >>
    Walker for city council.

Har har. You guys figure out how to extend the cycle of a day to 32 hours and I’ll run for City Council. ;)

Draft Walker!!!!

He has not yet said, “If nominated I will not run. If elected I will not serve.” ;-)

rus wrote >>

Roland wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    A.

+1
    I have no loyalty to any party.

One would hope a lot of people share that sentiment.

The hell with republicans, I’ll write myself in and vote for me. With urban issues like the metered parking one I at least side with what a qualified expert[/url] has to say on the matter. Can’t say the current leadership is cutting it when it comes to ensuring that Columbus is America’s 21st Century City. Apparently, they can’t be bothered to even skim the books available at the CML on urban matters such as this.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

I know many voters who have been Coleman supporters for nearly a decade who are going to rethink their votes after this. I don’t think it’s a party issue, it’s a survival issue.

One former supporter was the first small business to endorse Issue 1. Small businesses have every reason to worry they won’t last with the new meter rates. I was actually in an Issue 1 commercial because I believed the administration had our community’s best interests at heart.

Good meter rates help small businesses, not hurt them. This administration has failed the small business community that trusted them.

drew
    Participant

ZHC wrote >> The way this has been handled has done intense damage to the city’s image among the small business community. That sort of perception can take years to undo.When you are an entreprenuer you have to a fair amount of confidence that you will succeed otherwise you’d never risk your life’s savings, and your bank has to also.

This was underscored for me today by a chance discussion with a downtown small business owner. The intensity of the frustration and sense of betrayal is tremendous. I hope Coleman & co don’t expect this to be forgotten.

I’m tempted to wonder if Coleman’s political focus might now lie somewhere outside of Columbus…

Viewing 15 posts - 616 through 630 (of 897 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: