Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus' parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus’ parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 897 total)
  • Author
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

spookygoddess78 wrote >>
    I’m not seeing a massive public backlash here nor am I seeing much of a political liability. I’m seeing some upset downtown business owners, some downtown business owners that aren’t upset and a handful of folks on this forum that are annoyed. I’m not trying to deflate the issue as I think it’s some horrible decision making that has occurred. However, I don’t think city officials are overly concerned about that number of votes particularly when this issue will be the least of issues once the elections occur again. And really, a lot of these officials probably won’t lose votes from all the folks that are upset anyways. If this guy gets canned as people are calling for, it won’t change anything. So, he’ll lose his job and the city officials still get the revenue they intended on and in the way that they planned. I don’t think that calling on this individual to be fired is the way to have an effect on politics in this case.

Yes, the office holders are probably not too worried about the votes from the members here. Contested primary races in Central Ohio are pretty rare. How many of the angry people here are reliable Democrat voters who would vote for a Republican challenger in the next city council race? How many of you would vote for Charlene Taveres challenger in the State Senate race? They know that you will reluctantly vote for them or choose not to vote at all.

The best we could probably do would be to get one well financed challenger in the next city council race…but that would be one voice against the other six. The majority would probably continue with business as usual (and exclude the outsider from the executive sessions where policies are actually decided).

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

WestSIDEboy wrote >>
    I would ask to those who are mad is, “did you guys vote for these people?” and if so, “why”?

Hindsight is 20/20.

PS: No one voted for Kelsey.

I will gladly vote for a Republican for Council or Mayor.

Another way to vote is with my feet.

A.

cc

I parked down by the state house today and it was 10 minutes for 25 cents. I am wondering if that is the old rate or the new rate? I had lunch and parked for $1.50. It did not seem as bad as I had imagined. I will welcome the credit card meters though.

I am still very much opposed to the unilateral decision to raise the rates followed by the seemingly feigned opposition of Mayor Coleman.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cc wrote >>
    I am wondering if that is the old rate or the new rate?

cc

yikes, looks like the old rates…. :(

What does them folks earning 6 figure salaries have to do with anything? rate increases are garbage.

Tigertree

“There isn’t a funding source that doesn’t have consequences,” spokesman Dan Williamson said.

Hope I am not a consequence.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Misleading the public is not behavior I expect from our highest level city government employees.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Yep, cc, those are the old rates. About half the meters have changed over.

Thory
    Participant

Walker for city council.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

north4thlikeme wrote >>
    What does them folks earning 6 figure salaries have to do with anything? rate increases are garbage.

The citizens of Columbus pay these salaries. We expect better representation.

Roland
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    A.

+1

I have no loyalty to any party.

dirtgirl
    Participant

I paid 8 quarters to park for an hour and 20 minutes on Chestnut and High yesterday (pre-increase rate). And mine was the only car on the block. While I sat in my car finishing off my lunch, I saw two different people drive up, get out to pay the meter, only to get back in their car and leave. If this is their way of increasing parking revenue, I think they’re going to be disappointed. Nobody carries that much change.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Roland wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    A.

+1
    I have no loyalty to any party.

One would hope a lot of people share that sentiment.

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 897 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: